Night riding in Arizona...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Night riding in Arizona...

I got my lights, it's getting warmer - I think it's time.

I was doing research for riding at night in the Phoenix parks. There is nothing in the regulations about trespassing at night. All parks have parking lot hours posted and they all pretty much close at dusk. Few parks have trail hours posted such as south mountain and Dreamy Draw, those trails close at 11 pm.

I am mostly interested in Sonoran Preserve. SO if there are no TRAIL hours listed then I can draw the only conclusion:
    There are no restrictions on trail use at night in all Phoenix parks where trail hours are not listed.

Anyway, I just want to get my story straight in case I am stopped by the men in blue. Last thing I need is misdemeanor on my record for something this dumb.

mtbr member
    Im sure you are good untill 11. Do misdemeanors even go on your record?
    Call the park rangers and ask if you absolutly need a definite answer, I wouldnt trust MTBR for legal advise.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    MTBR bylaws:
    article 3, section 6, paragraph 17 states that in any given year, the night riding thread may not precede the first air-conditioning thread by more than 2 weeks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I got my lights, it's getting warmer - I think it's time.

I was doing research for riding at night in the Phoenix parks. There is nothing in the regulations about trespassing at night. All parks have parking lot hours posted and they all pretty much close at dusk. Few parks have trail hours posted such as south mountain and Dreamy Draw, those trails close at 11 pm.

I am mostly interested in Sonoran Preserve. SO if there are no TRAIL hours listed then I can draw the only conclusion:
    There are no restrictions on trail use at night in all Phoenix parks where trail hours are not listed.

Anyway, I just want to get my story straight in case I am stopped by the men in blue. Last thing I need is misdemeanor on my record for something this dumb.
    I came across a ranger in the parking lot at Sonoran Preserve at night and she told me absolutely no problem riding at night. They do close the parking lot at dusk but you can exit with no problems.

side note, I have ridden there at night many times with no issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I live right off the Sonoran preserve and have ridden there at night a few times. No issues with any of the rangers. There are also multiple access points to the trail via the community walking trails, so there's no need to use the parking lot at night. I would recommend using the one off Copperhead road, around the gated community entrance. You can park on the side of the road and take the walking path up to the DT section.

mtbr member
    I don't know about riding at night, man. They mostly come out at night....mostly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    I don't know about riding at night, man. They mostly come out at night....mostly.
    WHo? Strava users, DKOM ! Dark Knight Of Mountain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    MTBR bylaws:
    article 3, section 6, paragraph 17 states that in any given year, the night riding thread may not precede the first air-conditioning thread by more than 2 weeks...
    I survived the BCT in the 30's, I should be able to handle the 50s.

mtbr member
    Cool, good info guys, thanks.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I think I will ride more in the Winter than Summer. With it dark by 530 now compared to 800 in the summer, the schedule demands it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    WHo? Strava users, DKOM ! Dark Knight Of Mountain.
    That some funny sheet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    Awesome quote!!

Mikey

mtbr member
    I was out there two nights ago. Granted I was wearing a ski jacket but I got to try my new lights!
    This isn't flying, this is falling with style.

Members who have read this thread: 0