mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Newbie with questions

So I've finally taken the plunge and with the help of a good buddy gotten a super fun bike. I've ridden from the Pima lot at South Mountain on Desert Classic to just past the water storage tank a dozen or so times, and I'm feeling pretty confident. I tried the East loop this last friday, made 3 loops but found a couple sections where I had to hike up, and one where i even had to hike down. I'm guessing i'll continue to get better as i challenge myself. I've also tried the Usery mountain trails and didn't really have any issues except for climbing a portion of the Cat's Peak loop.

Any suggestions you guys might have for gaining confidence? Also, what about traction? I have some WTB Stout 2.3's on my bike now, and they seem to be doing pretty well, I think I have them about 35psi or so.

Thanks!

oooh, shiny...
    My best advice would be to join in on some group rides. After learning to bike in the desert I felt confident enough to go ride with some people that were more familiar with the area. When you see someone make something look so easy you don't get so scared to try it yourself. But take it slow and stay in your comfort level. You'll be tearing it up in no time. Welcome to MTBR.

im4Gsus
    welcome to the sport, cramey. mtbiking is a lot of fun.

try riding past the water tank on desert classic. if stamina is an issue, start from san gabriel (map below) and ride "the flats" to the tank; it's a good warmup.

can you ride during the week? i plan to be there thursday morning and can show you a couple fun loops if you don't mind an older/slower female rider.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    ...start from san gabriel (map below)...
    oops, senior moment; here ya go!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I can get out during the middle of the week, but as of right now, only in the afternoon. I can usually get to the Pima lot around 415-430. Hopefully in the next week or so I can adjust my schedule and start riding the am, i just always seem to have meetings early. I felt pretty zapped when i rode last wednesday at ~100, so i'm going to need to do something. Maybe in the next week or so we could hook up, it would be good to learn some fun/challenging loops.

I've always ridden the non-flats section to the water tower, but i'm pretty sure i know where that trail breaks off. The furthest i've made it past the water tower is probably 1.5 miles or so, i'll push myself more.

I'm going to try to make it out there tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    You make more (sometimes painful) mistakes when you are exhausted. Logging some road miles will build your stamina with less wear & tear on you and your bike.

There will always be some hills at SouMou where you have to hop off and push. The other side is usually worth it.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've read there are some more technical spots on further on DC. I'll try those as well. I was also thinking about checking out the Hawes trails one weekend as I live out there, l've seen some good photos, looks like a blast.

I think I'm becoming addicted.

Meatbomb
    it's like crack ..

Shred...it's the new drug
    Hawes is more like a bong rip... Natty is like free basing meth... DC is a couple of good micro brews. Once you try it, you'll never quit. It gets in your skin

dirt visionary
    okay Bob........Don't know about that natty comparison
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Ridin' Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Hawes is more like a bong rip... Natty is like free basing meth... DC is a couple of good micro brews. Once you try it, you'll never quit. It gets in your skin
    that's a very interesting analogy.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Master Gardener
    Follow other faster/better riders. Do whatever you need to to hold their wheel and pay very close attention to what they're doing. Then do it again and again, taking mental notes.

Welcome to the trails!

Shred...it's the new drug
    Hahaha, haven't rode since last wed. and I'm starting to get the shakes and scratching all over...I need a hit, arrrrggggggg!!!!

mtbr member
    next tuesday the 5th of may i will be riding hawes in the late afternoon. my son and i would be happy to meet you at the walgreens thomas& power. time is flexible to meet at 4 pm or later. the weather should hold another week? just let us know. the pace will be newby-ish for my son.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

oooh, shiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    I think I'll get up early tomorrow to free-base some meth.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by Velokid1
    Follow other faster/better riders. Do whatever you need to to hold their wheel and pay very close attention to what they're doing. Then do it again and again, taking mental notes.

Welcome to the trails!

Good advice!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bighorn lew,

I think that might work for me. I could probably be out there ~430p. I'll hit you up on the PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0