mtbr member

New wheelset, got a question

I just picked up a Mavic 823, Hope Pro 2 wheelset from CRC. This is my first UST wheelset. How much sealant, whether it be home brew or stans, would I need with a UST rim if I'm running regular tires? Also, does anyone know how well non tubeless WTB tires do on a UST rim? I'm running a Stout 2.3 wire bead in the front and a 2.3 Prowler kevlar bead in the rear. I'm also curious about wire bead vs kevlar bead on a UST rim. Will one work better than the other?

mtbr member
    in my experience the amount of sealant needed is dependent on the tire volume more than the combo of ust rim and standard tire. for large volume tires i generally run 2 stans scoops (4 oz.) of whatever sealant i happen to have. smaller volume 2-3 oz works for me.

again, ime wire beads seal and hold much better than kevlar on ust rims - at least with maxxis tires anyway.

Pivotal figure
    Yeah, you'll find that some tires require more sealant than others. I've had some kevlar bead versions that just soak it up like a sponge, a full scoop just disappeared!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    You have a UST rim, so the easiest setup would be a UST tire which needs no sealant to mount, and only needs sealant to seal thorn holes etc, but not to hold air. Downside is weight, and price.

Next up would be a TLR or Tubeless Ready, which uses the same bead as a UST, but does need sealant to hold air and also for sealing thorns etc.(Geax calls their version TNT)Upside is lighter than UST. Downside is price, and may not be as durable as UST. Some TLR tires do have more protection than regular tires, some do not.

Next up would be putting a regular tire on with a sealing strip such as a split tube, or even a Stans strip. You can use a split 20" tube just like split tube ghetto tubeless on a non UST rim. (I have done this a lot with great success) Yes, it does add back a little weight that you just lost by using a standard tire, but it makes for a really good seal between 2 types of beads that were not meant to play well together. Using this method I used many regular tires (both wire and kevlar bead) on a UST rim, and never burped one of them. You do have to be aware of sidewall thickness in rocks. Thin tires will tear easy. Upside is low weight, low price, and tire selection. Downside is finding durable sidewalls in sharp rocks, and costs a few bucks for a tube.

Last would be putting a standard tire on there, and hoping it seals up ok, and does not burp when you hit a bump. It is a big crapshoot, and not worth it IMO. A standard tire does NOT have a bead that was made to seal to a UST rim. If it does seal, it is a sub-par seal IMO and prone to burps if you hit a bump just right. Might seem fine til you hit a bump and all the air blows out at a really bad time. Upside is you don't have to buy a $3 tube. Downside is a burp that crashes you.

My belief is that sealant is for sealing the tire, NOT THE BEAD!! The bead should be able to seal and prevent burping on its own. If it takes sealant to make a good seal at the bead, you are doing something wrong, or using 2 things that just don't go together well.

Hope you find some useful info here. Good luck

Alive and Lurkin'
    I have a pair of 823s with 2.4 WTB Motoraptors mounted tubeless. I have run the 2.4 Motoraptor (with tubes) on Mavic Crossmax since 2003, Crossmax SX UST since 2007 (with tubes). When ever I see a deal I buy them in mass. That said, the bead holds in a tubeless rim just fine. I've never lost the bead of the rim, inflated or not, and one thing that I have noticed thru the years is that once the bead is set, it takes focused effort to get the tire back out of the bead seat. A month ago I went tubeless, making up some of ABCNorte's swamp sauce. I was able to mount the Motoraptor tubeless with a floor pump. A few days later I decided to try a wider tire in the front and found a deal on some Intense 2.5 exo dual compound Kevlar bead. These took some more effort to mount (air compressor) and I put in an extra scoop just in case leakage occured. Again mounted up no problem with no bead leaks and after a month of riding, no problems to report. DH-no problem, jumps-no problem, aggressive XC-no issues. The tires ride better than they did with tubes in them and other than being vigilant with the air pressure (I check before and after ever ride), I'm not worried about them any more. I'm just riding along, just as I've done for the last 20 years. After I mounted these tubeless I wondered what took me so long to make the jump over from tubes. I was worried about the process, I was worried about tire puncture, I was worried that my status quo of only having to change a flat once very two years was going to be put to the way side for a steep learning curve. All my fears were put to rest after airing up my first tubeless setup, amazingly easy and not very messy. There are some tricks and tips to get acquainted with, read do some homework then give it a go! Btw I weigh 230lbs and run the tires @ 35psi.
    Hope this helps
    Pumpin & Pimpin

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Tubeless is awesome! It's kind of like riding clip-less; at first you might be apprehensive, but once you try it you'll love it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm pretty stoked to try these out. It's just a waiting game right now since I don't have them yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0