New Trails at Lake Pleasant?- Mtbr.com
    Click Click Click

New Trails at Lake Pleasant?

I just heard that they are planning on creating a bunch of new trails out at Lake Pleasant. The thought of taking my trailer down there by the lake and riding all day puts a huge grin on my face. Anyone else heard about this?

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_p...eeting-www.pdf
    Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County

Lake Pleasant Regional Park Shares Proposed Trails Master Plan
    (Maricopa County) Join Maricopa County's Parks and Recreation Department on Thursday, September 12 at 6 p.m. for an open house at Lake Pleasant Regional Park's Operations Building as staff share the final draft of the parks Trails Master Plan.
    "As a fourth-generation Arizonan who has lived in the West Valley for many years, I'm really excited about this project! Currently, the park has two trails, Pipeline Canyon and Roadrunner. Combined, these trails are 2.8-miles in length. However, the department is proposing the construction of 17 new trails which will give the park 25.15-miles of multi-use trails," said Maricopa County District 4 Supervisor Clint Hickman.
    "Over the years the focus for the park has been water-based activities," said R.J. Cardin, Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department Director. With Maricopa County's population increasing by more than 24 percent over the past ten years, the department agreed it was imperative to expand services at the park. "By developing the trail system in the park, we're providing residents with a venue to not only boat and fish but also hike, mountain bike, horseback ride and connect with nature with the lake as a scenic backdrop," added Cardin.
    The proposed project contains a mixture of new and connector trails which will also link the park to the Maricopa Trail. "Linking the Maricopa Trail to the park allows visitors continuous travel from Cave Creek Regional Park to White Tank Mountain Regional Park. It's thrilling to think that those using the trail will now be able to travel close to 60-miles on a county trail," said Maricopa County Board of Supervisors' Chairman Andy Kunasek, District 3.
    Along with the development of a designated trail system comes the need to close some unauthorized routes. "When we developed the trail plan, we did take unauthorized routes into consideration. There are routes that we will be able to use once we bring them up to our trails standards. However, other areas will need to be closed for safety or conservation concerns and the park will take steps to restore these areas," said Cardin.
    For more information on the project, attend the open house at the park on Thursday, September 12 at 6 p.m. or visit Parks & Recreation - Maricopa County. Lake Pleasant Regional Park is located at 41835 N. Castle Hot Springs Rd., Morristown, AZ 85342.
    "You either want to or you don't."

Give it a crank
    Hadn't heard about it, thanks for posting. It's what the park has been missing for a long time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Hadn't heard about it, thanks for posting. It's what the park has been missing for a long time.
    Well, that and water.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The proposed Agua Fria Trailhead looks like it's close to hooking up with the BCT.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    The proposed Agua Fria Trailhead looks like it's close to hooking up with the BCT.
    Just when I thought things could not be any better. A ride from the AF Trailhead to BCT, and then back to trailhead and jump in the lake to cool off. If this turns into reality I am going to be super stoked!

mtbr member

Wow this would be awesome if it goes through. Definitely watching to see how this plays out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I just hope I can fit all my mardi gras beads in my camelbak...

Meatbomb
    Pleasant is full of skanky hoes..... too west side for me.

DFMBA.org
    WEST SIIIIDE!! (but I would still ride the trails).
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Click Click Click
    I poked around a little more on the city parks website and found this: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_p...Specs_11x8.pdf . That sparked enough interest for me to email the parks department for more info on the trails. The thought of a Competitive track out there similar to McDowells / Estrella / White Tanks has me salivating Hopefully it is real! I will share if I hear back from them, and if I don't I am tempted to drive / ride out there and scope it out (you know because sometimes the trails are there, but just not advertised - like Sonoran North was for MONTHS)...

Edit: Figured I would poke around on google maps and found this: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...18726f!6m1!1e1 Looks like I will be heading up there for some recon...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdennis View Post
    I poked around a little more on the city parks website and found this: http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_p...Specs_11x8.pdf . That sparked enough interest for me to email the parks department for more info on the trails. The thought of a Competitive track out there similar to McDowells / Estrella / White Tanks has me salivating Hopefully it is real! I will share if I hear back from them, and if I don't I am tempted to drive / ride out there and scope it out (you know because sometimes the trails are there, but just not advertised - like Sonoran North was for MONTHS)...

Edit: Figured I would poke around on google maps and found this: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...18726f!6m1!1e1 Looks like I will be heading up there for some recon...

Looks like you can park off castle hot springs road and ride in.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pi...4897230c18726f

mtbr member
    May 2012

I'm pretty sure Pipeline is hiking only. I've been out there with my daughter a couple of years ago taking spring photos of the wildflowers and it was signed hiking only at that time... (I just looked at the pictures on the link you posted and the sign does have a bike on it now).

It is a nice short hike though and you get right down to the water's edge, theres even a little bridge made of dock sections.

Click Click Click
    I got a response to my email:

"Good afternoon,

The trails are progressing nicely. We have four trails that we are currently working on (with assistance from the Southwest Conservation Corps) within the plan between the north entry station and the Desert Tortoise Campground Area (at Desert Tortoise Rd and South Park Rd intersection). We hope to have these trails officially opened by November 2014, and are currently working on a dedication ceremony for that time period. Four additional trails will be planned for completion after that time. The trails north of the north entry station will take place at a later date, as they will be part of the North Lake Pleasant Plan (merely a taste of what it could look like, based on what is provided on the website).

If you would like to assist with volunteering with our trails crew, please contact Allen Ockenfels, Trails Supervisor, at allenockenfels@mail.maricopa.gov.

Thank you for your interest and support at Lake Pleasant. Hope to see you out on the trails soon!

Happy Trails,
    David Jordan
    Park Supervisor, Lake Pleasant Regional Park
    Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department
    41835 N. Castle Hot Springs Rd.
    Morristown, AZ 85342
    (928) 501-1803
    (602) 372-7465 - Fax"

mtbr member

I got a response to my email:

"Good afternoon,

The trails are progressing nicely. We have four trails that we are currently working on (with assistance from the Southwest Conservation Corps) within the plan between the north entry station and the Desert Tortoise Campground Area (at Desert Tortoise Rd and South Park Rd intersection). We hope to have these trails officially opened by November 2014, and are currently working on a dedication ceremony for that time period. Four additional trails will be planned for completion after that time. The trails north of the north entry station will take place at a later date, as they will be part of the North Lake Pleasant Plan (merely a taste of what it could look like, based on what is provided on the website).

If you would like to assist with volunteering with our trails crew, please contact Allen Ockenfels, Trails Supervisor, at allenockenfels@mail.maricopa.gov.

Thank you for your interest and support at Lake Pleasant. Hope to see you out on the trails soon!

Happy Trails,
    David Jordan
    Park Supervisor, Lake Pleasant Regional Park
    Maricopa County Parks and Recreation Department
    41835 N. Castle Hot Springs Rd.
    Morristown, AZ 85342
    (928) 501-1803
    (602) 372-7465 - Fax"
    Great news!! I'm really looking forward to this I think it'll be awesome having trails by the lake. I'll have to shoot them an email to see if I can lend some grunt work help at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I know there are a lot of bikers that don't like fuel burning activities but I am a boat family. I am not a party person so you would never catch me near the scene posted above but I do like to partake in watersports.

I think it would be excellent to wake up and hit the trails for an hour or so then return to the camp and relax in the water with my family.

I love the idea of doing both addictions during one trip.

mtbr member
    just wait until the long range plan is completed to hook up Preskit--BCT--L. Pleasant and skanky hoes. Oh lordy
    Last edited by RobZona; 05-31-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Give it a crank
    So if they came up with a crazy idea to do a perimeter loop around the entire lake, how many miles of trail would that be?

mtbr member
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Lake Pleasant- New Trails! 20t near | Times and Records | Strava

So while the rest of my framily rode watercraft and dodged the white trash on the lake, I took the Verhauen out exploring at Lake Pleasant. I started down by the spillway and did some dirt/pavement traverse to a new road/TH. The road was called Twisted Talon off of Desert Tortoise.

This was brand new trail that was soft decomposed granite. The first mile had horse tracks, but the lay out was cool for XC with some punchy little climbs. After that-same trail- the horses stopped and the gradual climb was all me. Hot and muggy made it tough but while stopped and taking a breather I saw some alignments that were old mining trails that could be awesome new trails!

Another 1/4 mile of road to Pipeline, which has been in effect for awhile now. It is packed in and pretty awesome. Not too rocky and lots of up and down. It has a couple of shoot trails (Cottonwood and Vista Point) but I knew going back I had to climb the mush of the new trail so opted out as it was almost 11 am and getting hotter.

Looks like we have another reason to buy a County Park Pass. This trail and its proximity may just tip the scales for me buying one now.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Lake Pleasant- New Trails! 20t near | Times and Records | Strava

So while the rest of my framily rode watercraft and dodged the white trash on the lake, I took the Verhauen out exploring at Lake Pleasant. I started down by the spillway and did some dirt/pavement traverse to a new road/TH. The road was called Twisted Talon off of Desert Tortoise.

This was brand new trail that was soft decomposed granite. The first mile had horse tracks, but the lay out was cool for XC with some punchy little climbs. After that-same trail- the horses stopped and the gradual climb was all me. Hot and muggy made it tough but while stopped and taking a breather I saw some alignments that were old mining trails that could be awesome new trails!

Another 1/4 mile of road to Pipeline, which has been in effect for awhile now. It is packed in and pretty awesome. Not too rocky and lots of up and down. It has a couple of shoot trails (Cottonwood and Vista Point) but I knew going back I had to climb the mush of the new trail so opted out as it was almost 11 am and getting hotter.

Looks like we have another reason to buy a County Park Pass. This trail and its proximity may just tip the scales for me buying one now.
    Thanks for the ride report! This is incredibly good news, I can't wait to go ride those new trails.

Click Click Click

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    They seemed pretty official a couple week ago when I rode them (they were even signed).....but the new stuff was pretty soft. The old stuff had a little bit a chuck to it in some sections Haven't been back since the last storm though....

Was a little disappointed to see this sign on an interesting-looking trail that led to the top of a hill....

New Trails at Lake Pleasant?-20140814_091249_richtone-hdr-_resized_2-1-.jpgNew Trails at Lake Pleasant?-20140814_072403_richtone-hdr-_resized.jpgNew Trails at Lake Pleasant?-20140814_081347_richtone-hdr-_resized.jpgNew Trails at Lake Pleasant?-20140814_082552_richtone-hdr-_resized_1.jpgNew Trails at Lake Pleasant?-20140814_070611_richtone-hdr-_resized.jpgNew Trails at Lake Pleasant?-20140814_070936_richtone-hdr-_resized.jpg
    Last edited by PhxChem; 09-03-2014 at 03:24 PM.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    They seemed pretty official a couple week ago when I rode them (they were even signed).....but the new stuff was pretty soft. The old stuff had a little bit a chuck to it in some sections Haven't been back since the last storm though....

Was a little disappointed to see this sign on an interesting-looking trail that led to the top of a hill....

Attachment 920630
    Attachment 920631
    Attachment 920632
    Attachment 920633
    Attachment 920634
    Attachment 920635
    For some reason, I can not see your attachments, what did the signs say?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    For some reason, I can not see your attachments, what did the signs say?
    Fixed my post.....they should show up now.

mtbr member
    I came to the "No Bikes" sign a month ago, and about 50 yds past the sign were two burros. As soon as I stopped to survey the sign, one of the Burro started braying at me like I had branded it! I just yelled at him, "Can't you read you A$$? No horses!" and went the other way!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Anyone got an update on these trails?

TIA

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Look at the post titled "New Great option for Phoenix trail riders"

Meatbomb