New trail marking on T100 (1A) - Voaz Loop- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

New trail marking on T100 (1A) - Voaz Loop

While out on my "climb everything around T100" madness ride today, I rode up one of my favorite climbs that spins off 1A. It never had a sign before...so I never knew what it was called...but today I noticed a brand new sign/marker. This fun section actually has a name -- Voaz Loop.

I think Jason (Chollaball) thought it was "Voltar's Loop" -- something like that -- from a post of the Coffee Ride a few months ago.

Anyway, the circled area indicates this short trail.

If you haven't ridden this spot before...I *highly* encourage you to do so. It's a fun, steep, somewhat technical climb that dumps you onto a really cool section of Cheesegrater. If you decide to try this section out (especially Cheesegrater), bring your A-game. It's not for the feint of heart.

Thx...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pivotal figure
    There's also a second section called "Irregular Link" which basically parallels VOAZ but more to the West. It ties in just after VOAZ as you're headed toward DD and makes for a cool climb up to the 1A/302 junction.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    There's also a second section called "Irregular Link" which basically parallels VOAZ but more to the West. It ties in just after VOAZ as you're headed toward DD and makes for a cool climb up to the 1A/302 junction.
    I assume you're referring to the green line just to the west (left) of the Voaz trail that I circled on the map? If so, I think I know what trail you are talking about. I used to ride up/down it before heading over to the Voaz loop. The trail used to be a somewhat gnarly rutted out mess (impossible to climb up but fun to go down) and has now been re-engineered this year with new sections of trail to make it a much more mild (and enjoyable) climb. Is that it?

Thx...Doug

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yep, I saw that sign out there about six weeks ago when my dumb arse was trying to go up cheese grater.
    d

Just another half mile...
    VOAZ stands for Volunteers for Outdoor Arizona. Their a group of volunteers the help build and maintain trails throughout AZ. They have done a lot of work on the Cheese Grater climg reroute over the last several years. More info HERE if you want to volunteer on some of their projects.

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    While out on my "climb everything around T100" madness ride today, I rode up one of my favorite climbs that spins off 1A. It never had a sign before...so I never knew what it was called...but today I noticed a brand new sign/marker. This fun section actually has a name -- Voaz Loop.

I think Jason (Chollaball) thought it was "Voltar's Loop" -- something like that -- from a post of the Coffee Ride a few months ago.

Anyway, the circled area indicates this short trail.

If you haven't ridden this spot before...I *highly* encourage you to do so. It's a fun, steep, somewhat technical climb that dumps you onto a really cool section of Cheesegrater. If you decide to try this section out (especially Cheesegrater), bring your A-game. It's not for the feint of heart.

Thx...Doug

Pivotal figure
    That sounds like the section, definitely in the right spot on the map. They have done a lot of work on it recently for sure, it's a fairly simple climb now.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Sorry to ask a question that has been aswered on many previous posts, but what is the link to your map source?

Just Joshin' ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    That sounds like the section, definitely in the right spot on the map. They have done a lot of work on it recently for sure, it's a fairly simple climb now.
    Maybe for your lungs! I get right near the top of that thing and lose it through a little chute thing.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    VOAZ stands for Volunteers for Outdoor Arizona. Their a group of volunteers the help build and maintain trails throughout AZ. They have done a lot of work on the Cheese Grater climg reroute over the last several years. More info HERE if you want to volunteer on some of their projects.
    Ya...I googled the name "Voaz Loop" just to see what it means. I figured the "az" to mean the state of AZ.

There are some photos of the building of that trail here: http://www.voaz.org/HTML/projects_ev...hoto_album.htm

As usual, Dale, your knowledge of T100/DD is fantastic.

BTW - can you please repost the link to your "updated" DD map? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thx...Doug

Just another half mile...
    http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=54

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Ya...I googled the name "Voaz Loop" just to see what it means. I figured the "az" to mean the state of AZ.

There are some photos of the building of that trail here: http://www.voaz.org/HTML/projects_ev...hoto_album.htm

As usual, Dale, your knowledge of T100/DD is fantastic.

BTW - can you please repost the link to your "updated" DD map? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thx...Doug

Members who have read this thread: 0