New SPD pedals- Mtbr.com

Thread: New SPD pedals

How much further ???

New SPD pedals

So my new bike has a much lower bottom bracket and I am smashing the living crap out of my pedals. I am trying to adapt my riding technique but there are spots on the more technical sections that I just cant back pedal or I wont make the climb. Regardless my pedals are taking a beating and I wanted to see what others have found to be a good solution.
    I have Shimano on my other bikes so Im going to stick with those. XTR are out of the question. In general if you spend a little more $$ for lets say XT do you get a stronger pedal or is it better to get a couple sets of cheaper pedals since they will just get beat up anyway? I dont want to get something too cheap that it gets catastrophically damaged on the first big hit.
    Im also seeing Shimano coming out with versions of their pedals with a small cage/platform around them. They claim it helps to protect the main pedal body. I cant tell if I believe this or not or if its just more pedal to get damaged. Thanks.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SCRUBDUNKER
    I have the M520s and M530s - I like the M530s - they're M520s with a cage around them.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Shimano Clipless Pedal PD-M647 DX.

I had a crash on Geronimo that literally bent my Gravity DH crank arm after I clipped my pedal. The pedal was in perfect working order after with only a scratch.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i have a pair of M520s that came with my new rocky mountain that im probably never going to use. they have a clip-in platform on one side.
    first thing i did was swap them out for my 4 year old crank brothers.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I've been running the cheapy $55 shimano clipless pedals (I forget the model #) and have never destroyed a pair. And I've bashed them on about every rock out there between Gold Canyon and PMP. They seem to take a hell of a beating. I've never worried about them and haven't had to. I think one spindle came loose once, but I just tightened it back up and it was good as new.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

How much further ???
    Do you want to part with them? Did they come with new cleats? If so let me know what you want for them.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Do you want to part with them? Did they come with new cleats? If so let me know what you want for them.
    well,, i was planning on putting them inside some socks to beat up elderly people,, but i suppose i can also sell them for $15...

Last edited by longhairmike; 08-16-2011 at 12:15 PM.

How much further ???
    Deal. I live pretty close to you. Ill PM you and we will figure out the details. Thanks !!!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    I can tell you that the 424, which look a lot like the 647 but I believe are nowhere as strong, took less than 3 weeks (about 10 rides) to destroy. They still work, but the platform cage is separated from the pedal making them really no better than a 520.

Seems that Brian's 647 suggestion is a good one if you're after something with a platform, otherwise 520s seem to work great.

Guided by Voices
    Shimano M-520s. I too beat the crap out of my pedals and generally get a new pair every 6-9 months.

EDR
    I beat the crap out of M520 and M540's for years. Now using the 647 with the resin cage around the pedal. These are tough as well. The cage gets all scratched up but they are holding up just fine.

LH Mike...520's don't have a platform on one side that I'm aware of.

Douger...those one-sided spd pedals suck for any real trail riding.

FWIW those 647's are $100-$120 in the States but Chain Reaction has them for $65 + $8 shipping. If you don't want a cage I'd go with 520 or 540's.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post

Douger...those one-sided spd pedals suck for any real trail riding.
    Are those even the one-sided SPD's or do they just have the plastic platform that clips in for test rides around the parking lot? Better off if that's the case so you can just remove it.
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    Are those even the one-sided SPD's or do they just have the plastic platform that clips in for test rides around the parking lot? Better off if that's the case so you can just remove it.
    They do make one sided clipless of course but not 520's. You're right though, wonder if it's just a plastic cover for test rides in sneakers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have been running the slightly new version of "XTR".. Their Trail pedal....I think they are the 985's .
    They have the little aluminum platform around them and I have had them over a year now and the are holding up great , I generally destroy xt and xtr's in less than 6 months, I can destroy any "Time" or "Crank Brothers" in 2 to 3 weeks .

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I bought the 785's from Universal a few weeks ago. After some adjusting they're fine and I beat pedals and cranks like nobody's business at SoMo and Hawes. I used Tyme ATAK's for a long time and those finally gave up the ghost, although I liked them more. The 785's are the XT Trail pedals.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    They do make one sided clipless of course but not 520's. You're right though, wonder if it's just a plastic cover for test rides in sneakers.
    Yes, those are just for quickly sizing up the bike, taking a spin around the parking lot. Very little traction. They'll pop right of the pedal.

LongHair, have you rebuilt those crank bros since you've had them?

Meatbomb
    Nice reflectors

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I think I have the M646's, not sure b/c I've had them so long - 12+ years & going strong. They're not the lightest thing around but I won't be changing anytime soon. I had a pair of Shimano DX's on my 20" freestyle bike & wanted a similar platform when I started mtb'ing. They're even a nice bright shade of red! I'll post up a pic tonight.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i haven't rebuilt ****.. they've seen rides where i had to stop and poke out all the mud with a stick so i could get clipped back in.

when parts go bad i just adapt and overcome,, until i finally chuck them...

Huffy Rider
    What size are your cranks? I was having the same problem and bought shorter cranks. Just a thought.

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    i haven't rebuilt ****.. they've seen rides where i had to stop and poke out all the mud with a stick so i could get clipped back in.

when parts go bad i just adapt and overcome,, until i finally chuck them...
    Just a heads up, I've never had a pair of crank bros go that long without needing a rebuild. If they have any play in them between the spindle and the rest of the pedal (pulling in/away from crank) then they're in need. When they give out, the body will just come right off the spindle, leaving a pedal body attached to your shoe and a spear like spindle on your crank arm. This of course will happen at the worst possible time.

Rebuild kits are like $10 or you can send them in to Crank Bros.

How much further ???
    They are 175. I talked to the LBS about it and they said its typical for a longer travel bike to have a lower bottom bracket to keep the geometry and center of gravity setup properly.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Shimano Clipless Pedal PD-M647 DX.
    I've been beating the living hell outta my 647s and they continue to operate perfectly. In fact, In my ~15 years of riding I've only owned two pair of pedals: a pair of Nashbar SPD knockoffs and these 647s. I've beaten tham both up mercilessly. The SPDs can take a serious beating. I wouldn't even worry about it unless something actually does break. It's unlikely, though.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    A day late, but here's a pic I took tonight of my Shimano's:

From Bike Setup
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm still running the original M515's that came on my '01 Trek 8000 Disc. Five bikes later and they are starting to get a little crunchy in the bearing arena but still function enough for me to put off buying a new set. I'll probably replace them at the end of the summer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have 520s on both my bikes and for the money I am a believer! And $15 is even better!