New rig and super-hot shakedown run- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

New rig and super-hot shakedown run

In my ongoing and completely accidental quest to change bikes every six months, this week I traded my 2010 Enduro for an '09 Titus El Guapo. This was completely random. Nice dude in Tucson wanted an Enduro. I had a hankering for a Guapo. We swapped some parts around and called it good.

As I've previously said, I had absolutely no complaints with the Enduro and there's literally no way for me to justify this swap other than "I just wanted to."

Sadly I find that I am a boutique whore. I had nothing but positive experience with both Specialized and DNA Cycles, but I find that I'm happier on a boutique brand. Again, can I justify this? Nope. Luckily, none of my other hobbies cost any money, so I don't feel too bad about spending money on bike gear.

In other sad news, Drew and I now both ride El Guapos. Fortunately Drew is metrosexual enough not to be bothered by this. Thank god.

Anyhoo, I had the great idea to do a shakedown Wednesday afternoon. PMP was close, so we did a short route. Starting from Dreamy Draw at 3:30, it was 106 degrees according to my Jeep thermometer. Up 100, up 1A, up Irregular, up Upper Hairball and then the sweet glory down upper Cheesegrater.

Both of us actually made Upper look relatively tame today. Nice clean run down. Since I'd already gone through 100 ounces of agua, we climbed up the backside of VOAZ then blasted down VOAZ to 1A to the 220s and back to the trucks.

I like the Guapo. Nice-looking bike, same FSR/Horst suspension I'm used to. It's maybe a pound or two heavier than the Enduro and I need to adjust my climbing technique somewhat. It absolutely slayed on the downs, though. Very, very fast, stable, easy to manual and it sure does pop little lips and gaps.

Has this weird feeling that the Guapo is much smaller than the Enduro just in physical dimension. I can't really prove this via the numbers, but that's how it feels from the driver's seat.

Obligatory cell-phone pics since I dropped/broke my camera:

Pivoteer
    Man, that is ghey!
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    In other sad news, Drew and I now both ride El Guapos. Fortunately Drew is metrosexual enough not to be bothered by this. Thank god.
    Hilarious !

Congrats on the new ride. Very nice looking bike. I'll shoot you a PM in a few months and make an offer on it.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I'm curious. Whats with the zip tie on the stanchion?
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    On the fork stanchion? Use it as a marker to set sag. I assumed everyone did the same.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    On the fork stanchion? Use it as a marker to set sag. I assumed everyone did the same.
    I suppose they do, if they are fork literate. My fork has some knobs but quiz me on their purpose and you might get a blank stare. I can deduce the purpose of compression and rebound but sure have never set one up. Interesting. Thanks.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Oh, don't confuse me with an expert. I generally putz about with the knobs until I get something that's about right. Fork sag with air is simple enough for a Luddite like me; pretty easy to take 160mm and divide by 4 (for 25 percent sag).

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=Blatant].

Has this weird feeling that the Guapo is much smaller than the Enduro just in physical dimension. I can't really prove this via the numbers, but that's how it feels from the driver's seat.

QUOTE]

Had the same feeling when demoing a 2010 Enduro and a Firebird, bought the 'bird.

"No Clue Crew"
    The firebird cockpit is tighter then the enduro. My spare bike is a Giant Reign, which is bigger then the enduro. When I jump on it now, I feel like I'm on my big brothers bike. Anybody want to buy an XL Reign ? : )

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I set both bikes up, so cockpit dims were similar. The difference in feel wasn't really a cockpit feel anyway. The enduro felt to me as though it handled more sluggish, felt heavier, larger, felt like a tank that could plow through anything. The Firebird felt much more nimble, more graceful. That's why I bought the 'bird, more for picking my way through some of this nice AZ tech, and not just plowing through like I do on my Stumpy.

EDR
    Sadly I find that I am a boutique whore. I had nothing but positive experience with both Specialized and DNA Cycles, but I find that I'm happier on a boutique brand
    Makes total sense to me. I'd feel like Walmart shill riding a Specialized

Anyhow, I prefer (for now anyway) the 'smaller' feeling bikes as well. Easy to maneuver and pop off of stuff. My buddies Enduro feels huge to me, granted it's a large frame but still, it just seems kinda long for whatever reason.

mtbr member
    Good solid rear end too, no fancy smancy carbon explosions.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    You look at the numbers and it's hard to see any difference in size (bb height, wheelbase, etc.) Just shows that biking is never really a numbers game. It really is a noticeable and radical difference between the two bikes. The Guapo is a much more compact overall.

Again, I really, really liked the Enduro and my riding has grown leaps and bounds in the six months I owned it.

Only thing I see is replacing the older 150mm Fox 36 that's on the bike. I think I need a little more fork to slacken the frame out a degree or so and I don't need the adjustable travel and stuff that this fork has.

Might try to find another Lyric or a Vanilla 160.

RHRF!

Welcome...

...to the Titus Brotherhood!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

My other ride is your mom
    I too am a big fan of a tight cockpit....I have recently been riding a loned Santa Cruz Blur from Chollaball while my fork and shock get PUSH'd off of my Mach5.......I'm having a blast on the blur for the single/simple reason of a shorter wheelbase and tighter cockpit.

It's twitcher as all getout compared to the Mach5....yet it slices the corners instead of plows.....it rails switchbacks without me getting an upper body workout. This of course comes at the expense on the way down....but I felt like a climbing machine today and for me....that leaves me with ear to ear grins.

I'm envious of the Blatant 6 month lease program on bikes....perhaps it should be formalized with the bike manufactures.....I'd sign up.....assuming I had a job.....

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Funny thing. The cockpit itself doesn't seem any tighter. I'm a long-legged 6'2" and even with a 70mm stem, it doesn't feel tight. The entire bike just seems more compact. Must be a wheelbase thing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    could be a Reach & Stack thing.....I know you can find the Specialized numbers, what about the Titus?

Plasko
    Its nice to see that you two are riding the same bike now. Much more apropo when cruisin' through the gulch

I am Doctor Remulak
    Only thing I see is replacing the older 150mm Fox 36 that's on the bike. I think I need a little more fork to slacken the frame out a degree or so and I don't need the adjustable travel and stuff that this fork has.

Might try to find another Lyric or a Vanilla 160.
    If there's nothing wrong with the fork, you may want to look into one of the new Cane Creek AngleSet Headset to adjust the head angle (assuming you can wait until September).

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Cool product. There's nothing wrong with the fork itself; I just think I'll need more axle-to-crown length. I read through the description but am confused about the offerings. I'm currently using a CC reducer (1.5 to 1.125).

Alex: All I know is you seem inordinately interested in Sodomy Gulch. I'm not saying, I'm just saying ...

Plasko
    Alex: All I know is you seem inordinately interested in Sodomy Gulch. I'm not saying, I'm just saying ...
    You just make it look so glamorous, I can't help wanting to be a part of it...

Members who have read this thread: 0