New Rider to AZ- Mtbr.com

Thread: New Rider to AZ

Monte Su Bici Maldita

New Rider to AZ

Hey guys,
    I just moved into the Phoenix area from Boise, Id. I checked out the Sticky, but couldn't find useful info. I am into the DH/FR scene w/ an emphasis in DH. I get my bike in about a week and am looking for people to ride with. Any help?

Also I would like to know if there are any races in the near future, or where I could find out (besides the lbs).

mtbr member

Me too!

I just moved here from Boise also (well, in June). I graduated from BSU in May and got a job in Mesa. I ride primarily XC so we probably won't be riding buddies but if you are ever interested let me know.....I was just excited to see a fellow Idahoan on here!

Kristen

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    No kidding, that is unfortunate. I am always down for an XC ride but all I have for that is a singlespeed, and that doesn't seem like it is going to be as easy to ride around here compared to Boise. And I probably won't get that bike for a good time. If you are ever up for it though.....

If you shopped at Georges for all of your cycling needs you just might know my dad. He is still going to BSU and worked at the Front St location. And if it helps: his name is Keith.

mtbr member
    Goat Camp trail is one of the best XC/DH rides in the Valley IMO. There was talk of possibly doing a ride Sat. so keep your eyes peeled. It's a long ride up though (shuttle by legs) but way worth it.

Monte Su Bici Maldita
    Unfortunately the only bike I will have by then is my singlespeed bianchi road bike. Won't quite stand up to the abuse of a DH ride.

Ouch, I am hot!
    As far as I know, the only real shuttling in Phoenix is on SoMo. There are usually groups out there every weekend. I don't believe there are any DH races in AZ. If there are, I think it is just one. Your single speed will be fine in Phoenix. Certain areas may be rocky, but you will get used to it and then learn to love it. There are a ton of single speeders in the Phoenix scene. If you tap into it, I bet you will be very pleasantly surprised.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    There was a DH race up at Sunrise last w/e.
    Near as I can tell, Sunrise has lift access biking... I've never been, and I think they are closed for biking till next year...
    Flagstaff apperently has some nice DH runs, but, at 6000' it's getting near snow season up there.
    I live at the base of South Mountain, north side and am new to the DH/FR scene.
    There are 3 trails running down the north side, Morman(24th street), Geronimo(sex offender) and Holbert.
    Morman and Holbert are rather technical, steep, and tight, Geronimo has a bit of that, and some sections where you can let it run.
    Never rode goat camp.

Check out Cactus Bike (online) at 48th street and Elliot... they have great local bike area maps (fold out non rip waterproof ones) and seem to cater to the squishy bike crowd.
    My bike, Slayer 70

mtbr member
    Hey mtnbykr06 good to see some more DHillers in town. If your into some knarly DHing come hang out with us. Did you race in DH Boise? we just had a race (sled race) in sunrise as you saw in the post above. We usually do a outing every weekend, as a matter of fact there is a get together this W/E. PM me and I'll give you some info if you want. Later.

Members who have read this thread: 0