mtbr member

New to mountain biking, where to?

Hey guys... title post says it all... I'm new to mountain biking and am interested in tearing up a trail early in the morning.
    Any suggestions?
    I'm not really familiar with all the terminology of these forums, but from what I can tell I I like the XC / AM category of biking from my experiences so far. My fitness level is pretty good, but my mountain biking skills need a ton of improvement.

Oh yah, I live in the Tempe area, so something near here that isn't super crowded would be preferred, but hey, I'm willing to drive for a minute if the rewards are worth it

Oh yah I'm gonna be going super early too... like 6 AM at latest if anyone is interested !

dirt visionary
    HAwes would be a good place to ride. Also SoMo but that will be packed.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    if you are new to a MTB then I would recomend taking it easy and make sure you know what trail you are on. South mountain as he said can be a great place to start, or to get a helicoptor ride out of. Phoenix has some of the best trails in the nation but some of these you need to be wearing full armor and know what you are doing. It is not uncommon to find people over their head on a bike on a trail, do a video search for huffy boy meets the waterfall, that was on south mountain.......
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member
    Check out Desert Classic at SoMo. Super mellow and you can always turns back when you've had enough.

dirt visionary
    I would pick Hawes over desert classic anyday.

mtbr member

true

[QUOTE=clockwork]I would pick Hawes over desert classic anyday.

fully agreed hawes is awesome! but for someone who is brand new riding dc is a little more chill, IMO. and slightly closer to tempe.

dirt visionary
    I guess since I started out on Hawes I am partial to it, the friendly riders and its scenery. Still love riding it even though I like big air and downhill also now. For me DC was always like riding a fireroad with bits of single track inbetween . But it is a bit closer to Tempe for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You definitely want to ride Desert Classic at SoMo. I rode it maybe 10 times and got to know my bike really well before I moved on to other trails.

Hawes is probably my favorite XC in the area, but I don't agree that's it for beginners. The trail is typically loose sand, so you have to have good control of your bike or you will slide and fall. The trail can be narrow in many places too. I took a noob out to Hawes, and he fell into a cholla and hasn't put his feet in the pedals since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    start desert classic and get a feel for the sand/rocks. When you feel comfortable on it then make the short trip across the parking lot and to the east loops as these add a little more technical riding with some bigger rocks to go over. There are plenty of cool people on here that would be happy to show you around the mountain but biking out here is just a little different, and more difficult then alot of places since there is NOTHING soft to land on out here.
    and the lurker returns to the dark corner

mtbr member

bct

I really am partial to the BCT. awesome trail, never busy. did it this morning only saw 2 other riders and that is a busy day for this time of year.

Meatbomb
    Bct ?

A Huckin' Hypocrite

Papago

Papago is really close and pretty beginner friendly as well as not too crowded. It helps if you go with somebody familiar with it also as some places trail crosses road/sidewalks etc.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

mtbr member

bct

Yep BCT,
    And dont try and tell me you don't know what that is Philbo. Just lookin for somebody to jump today?

im4Gsus
    i love hawes, but agree with other posters that it's not a good place for a noob, specially the catwalk (clockwork's vid starting at ~1:30) - narrow, off camber and exposure! the ridge trail also requires good handling skillzzz.

i learned on desert classic, going further and further each time.

papago has some good trails if you know where to find them.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    Yep BCT,
    And dont try and tell me you don't know what that is Philbo. Just lookin for somebody to jump today?

Wow.. why the 'tude? not looking to jump anyone, if I've known what BCT stands for I must have forgotten. I'll ask anyone other than your self to inform me so you don't have to be butt hurt.

disregard BCT - Black Canyon Trail... see I can figure this stuff out. again , I apologize to you for asking the question. I simply had a brain fade.

mtbr member

Black Canyon Trail

no tude, just look at the last thread I started, I asked a simple question. Where does BLACK CANYON TRAIL cross bumble bee rd? I got one wise crack answer. from who? YOU. you obviously knew what it was then. I suggest you have the tude

Meatbomb
    Like I said above, i was spacing it .... I call it CRAFT.

I'll refrain from replying to your post and we'll be cool

I'm not sure BCT is the best place for a beginner to learn to ride unless they go with a group. It's pretty remote. I've wanted to ride it a few times but have not due to it's remoteness and me not knowing the system.
    Last edited by Phillbo; 08-15-2009 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    wow... so many replies!

I have been doing Desert Classic on the weekday mornings and find it is a good test of my current skill (I still find myself going slow at places) How crowded does it get on the weekends?

I tried to do Javelina at SoMo too, but pretty much couldn't figure out which trail was which so I have no idea if I was even on the right one... ended up just grabbing my dog and hiking around the area to see what it was like and saw a rattler in the wash.

Is Trail 100 harder or easier than DC / hawes?

Oh and one last question, is it legal to night ride at SoMo park?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I ride T100 about 2-3 times per week. If you've ridden DC a few times, you can handle T100. Others might disagree, but I think the skill level of T100 varies quite a bit... there are long stretches that are fast and easy (mostly east of Dreamy Draw), but there are other spots with some steep climbs and technical patches.

I'd be happy to meet you out there one day and give you a tour of T100. (Although I will be outta town all this week). Hit me up on a PM if you're interested.

Trail Monger
    It could have been 3.. ;-) Maybe next time dude! How many mi did you rackup?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brilog
    It could have been 3.. ;-) Maybe next time dude! How many mi did you rackup?
    B,
    we just did Rock Springs to LPL (for Philbo that's little pan loop) then back to the top and back down the new section to the river and back. Next sat bud, be there with the new hardware

Meatbomb
    B,
    LPL (for Philbo that's little pan loop)

thanks, I'm slow ya know

mtbr member

sat next

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    thanks, I'm slow ya know
    Tell ya what, here's a formal invite to meet up at ROCK SPRINGS trailhead at 6AM. We can put all hostilities behind us and I'll even show you the best trail in the state.

Meatbomb
    I appreciate the offer but due to an injury I'll have to wait a month or so. I do look forward to it though. I have no hostilities towards you and would love to have a guide to help me learn the system.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    I appreciate the offer but due to an injury I'll have to wait a month or so. I do look forward to it though. I have no hostilities towards you and would love to have a guide to help me learn the system.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I really am partial to the BCT. awesome trail, never busy. did it this morning only saw 2 other riders and that is a busy day for this time of year.
    Were you on a Specialized? If so, I was the girl on the Siren with my friend on her Litespeed.

Yes, BCT is my favorite trail too. It just might be intimidating to someone who doesn't like the exposure though.

Tiffany

mtbr member

bct (BLACK CANYON TRAIL)

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyinanthem
    Were you on a Specialized? If so, I was the girl on the Siren with my friend on her Litespeed.

Yes, BCT is my favorite trail too. It just might be intimidating to someone who doesn't like the exposure though.

Tiffany
    Yep,
    It were I, Awesome day huh? not to hot.Were up for another round sat. next same time. if the weathers not to brutal maybe the whole enchilada?

And your right about the exposure for a new rider. It would scare the livin bijeebies out of me, My bad. I just am so used to it I don't even see it anymore

Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yep,
    It were I, Awesome day huh? not to hot.Were up for another round sat. next same time. if the weathers not to brutal maybe the whole enchilada?

And your right about the exposure for a new rider. It would scare the livin bijeebies out of me, My bad. I just am so used to it I don't even see it anymore

Steve
    I might join you next Saturday if thats an invitation! Doesn't look like we'll be getting a cool down anytime soon, so I'm probably in for an out and back.

Tiffany

Members who have read this thread: 0