New mountain biker- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

New mountain biker

My wife wants to get into mountain biking so I purchased her a Specialized Safire Comp. Now I need some advice on where to start her out at in the Phoenix area.

Thanks

How much further ???
    Phoenix area is rather vague. Can you be more specific? East Valley, North Scottsdale etc.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Global bikes in Mesa and Gilbert runs some women's rides and so does exhale bikes in north Phoenix. Beginners are encouraged and welcome.
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Starting out? Papago park is pretty good. Go for the loop around the golf course first. Smooth, minimal effort, but still mountain biking. If that's not enough, start heading south through the park. There's a little bit of challenge to be found there. Great place for noobs.

Also, TRW by Hawes wouldn't be too bad either.

If she's got a hankering for some noob punishment, try DC at South Mountain.

I hear FINS in the west valley is smooth and rolly, but never been there.

If you choose wisely, even the Dreamy Draw area at PMP can be noob friendly.

That should cover the valley, east to west.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pemberton at McDowell Park is a good trail to start out on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markaz View Post
    My wife wants to get into mountain biking so I purchased her a Specialized Safire Comp. Now I need some advice on where to start her out at in the Phoenix area.

Thanks
    I was really impressed with Spur Cross. The trail is super smooth, and non-techy. However, some of it does hug a cliff (although no major danger), which can be intimidating to some new riders. Also, the one time I rode it, not a lot of hikers.

As first time ride, I'd stay away from PMP as most of the trails are loose and unpredictible, and can be pretty darn crowded if you stay on the tamer trails. I'd stick to the trails that are more frequented by other bikers, like Papago and Pemberton mentioned earlier.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    McDowell Mtn Park, West on Tonto Tank, back East on Bluff
    Easy scenic super fun

My other ride is your mom
    Usery in the east valley is good for groms.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire View Post
    I was really impressed with Spur Cross. The trail is super smooth, and non-techy. However, some of it does hug a cliff (although no major danger), which can be intimidating to some new riders. Also, the one time I rode it, not a lot of hikers.

As first time ride, I'd stay away from PMP as most of the trails are loose and unpredictible, and can be pretty darn crowded if you stay on the tamer trails. I'd stick to the trails that are more frequented by other bikers, like Papago and Pemberton mentioned earlier.
    What trails at Spur Cross did you ride that were smooth? I took my wife to Cave Creek and she didn't like the looseness of slate trail, but liked Overton.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    What trails at Spur Cross did you ride that were smooth? I took my wife to Cave Creek and she didn't like the looseness of slate trail, but liked Overton.
    Paging Whiskers of Death.....

Please don't ask me for trail names, numbers, etc. I'm completley clueless in regards to what trails I've ridden or ride. I'm really amazed sometimes that I can make it home sometimes.

To be honest, I really don't know. WoD took me out there, and we rode from his place to the TH. The ride started off crappy, with a steepish climb out of the wash. But after that, it was very smooth, at least compared to the trails I ride here at PMP. Hard-packed and flowy. To me, it reminded me a lot of BCT.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Have her meet up with this group. Amy puts on beginner clinics that will really help her get started.

AZ Mountain Biking (Phoenix, AZ) - Meetup

mtbr member
    Estrella mtn regional park has a beginners loop now out by the comp loops back by PIR.
    Pemberton rocks for beginners but they have to be in shape for the sustained climb and distance, made the "mistake" of taking a beginner friend out there not conditioned to the heat or the exercise. If conditioning is not a problem def. Go there.
    Washes on DC were a bit scary for my wife who has little mtb experience but Papago was boring for her.
    Usery is smooth/fast/fun (belvins loop - stay of pass mtn haha) but there are lots of horses... Beware (other threads give obvious reasons as to why!)
    FINS has been rocked by the monsoons and has lost some of it's smoothness flow, its in my opinion the most fun trail system in the valley but maybe not the best place to start!

mtbr member
    That is the same bike my wife got and she loves it. She started on a GT Avalanche which was a hard tail but she wasn't standing to pedal so the full suspension is fantastic for her.
    If she is new to riding start out on the canal trails and then advance to easy dirt trails. We live near San Tan Mountain and it has some great beginner trails. Good luck and have fun

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The 7th Ave. side of Trail 100 in the Phx Mtn. preserve is pretty tame, no big climbs or descents. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for all the trail info but no I'll have to wait until summer is over because my wife just told me she needs shoulder surgery. o well

banned
    Thanks for all the trail info but no I'll have to wait until summer is over because my wife just told me she needs shoulder surgery. o well
    mark:

A lot of MTBR posters gave you information you were looking for. If your wife was injury free and reved-up to go on a bike ride with her new bike tomorrow which trail would you have taken her on ????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?.

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    mark:

A lot of MTBR posters gave you information you were looking for. If your wife was injury free and reved-up to go on a bike ride with her new bike tomorrow which trail would you have taken her on ????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?.
    You might find this helpful.
    How to Fix a Stuck Key on a Laptop Computer Keyboard | eHow.com

banned
    73:

Many of us try and give our fellow mountain bikers good ideas on what we think would be a good ride when asked the question. There were a number of responses from MTBR posters. I am probably the only one who is curiuos when I post some good trail Intel, if in fact my post was helpful in the OP deciding which trail to ride.

I have a 58 year old wife who has been riding for 18 years. She loves Porcupine Rim, Amassa Back, Highline, Blue Dot, Green Dot, Under the Radar, UPS, LPS, Mescal and Cuck Wagon. Can you please tell me what would be the best ride for her in the Phoenix Area.

Thanks,

TD

No mames guey
    As you know, besides ED and an evolving prostate, something one must be careful with during their twilight years is CTS. The repetitive action of pressing the same key 51 times has me worried that it might affect your efficiency with a hand saw. Worse still, there is concern you might need to reassign yourself from self-appointed ambassadorship. Your 58 year old wife who has been riding for 18 years on trails such as Porcupine Rim, Amassa Back, Highline, Blue Dot, Green Dot, Under the Radar, UPS, LPS, Mescal and Cuck Wagon [sic] might be concerned about how this reassignment might negatively influence your mental health.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73 View Post
    As you know, besides ED and an evolving prostate, something one must be careful with during their twilight years is CTS. The repetitive action of pressing the same key 51 times has me worried that it might affect your efficiency with a hand saw. Worse still, there is concern you might need to reassign yourself from self-appointed ambassadorship. Your 58 year old wife who has been riding for 18 years on trails such as Porcupine Rim, Amassa Back, Highline, Blue Dot, Green Dot, Under the Radar, UPS, LPS, Mescal and Cuck Wagon [sic] might be concerned about how this reassignment might negatively influence your mental health.
    73:

I just discussed your analysis with my wife, she agrees with your analysis, but she still wants to know which trail you recommend for her.

TD

mtbr member
    Markaz- letting you and your wife know there is an "ignore" function on this forum you may find helpful. Hope her surgery goes well and you all find a nice trail!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

banned
    Hopefully she didn't hurt her shoulder mountain biking. Met a hiker yesterday after doing a super secret mountain biking ride. He said he purchased a Specialized Enduro and crashed on the second ride and broke his arm. He gave up the sport after the crash.

He says he goes on 10 to 12 mile hikes every weekend and looked in great shape. I think he could have been a really good mountain biker if he had not crashed.

TD

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think I would have started her at the 7th Ave. side of Trail 100 in the Phx Mtn. preserve. Which is a ride i have done a few times so no surprise for me when showing her the trail. If she felt good and wanted a little more of a challenge I would have taken her under 7th ave and up behind the Point and Horse stables. In fact when she is ready thats were will head out to for her first ride. I did hear good things about the trail Estrella mtn regional park loop, they said the beginners loops is good and will help a new mountain biker get comfortable with the shifting while on a easy trail. I hope that helps.

banned
    I think I would have started her at the 7th Ave. side of Trail 100 in the Phx Mtn. preserve. Which is a ride i have done a few times so no surprise for me when showing her the trail. If she felt good and wanted a little more of a challenge I would have taken her under 7th ave and up behind the Point and Horse stables. In fact when she is ready thats were will head out to for her first ride. I did hear good things about the trail Estrella mtn regional park loop, they said the beginners loops is good and will help a new mountain biker get comfortable with the shifting while on a easy trail. I hope that helps.
    That certainly helps those that are looking for a similar ride for there beginner friends.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

My wifes 1st ride

Well, after all the surgeries I finally got my wife out on her mountain bike. She wanted to go to sonoran mountain preserve -Phoenix (I-17/Jomax). We started out of the parking lot up the hill, all is going well then. a little down hill with a left turn and the bottom and too much front brake and down she went. 1st thing I thought was well its time to back to the car but to my my enjoyment she got up dusted her self off rinsed off the scrape on her elbow checked the bruise on her leg and got on her bike and rode off. I explained to her what happen and she was good with it and we rode on. Just an FYI if you take a newbie out here you might want to stay to east-side of the trail and ride around then come back to the parking lot the same way you went out. I took another way and it was a little too much climbing to start for the wife I think. Next trip will be to Desert Classic.