Thread: New guy...

mtbr member

New guy...

Hey all, just wanted to stop by and introduce myself... Im definitly ready to go hit up the trails...

But after years of not riding a mountain bike (used to do it all the time as a kid) like it should be i figured its time to get back on one.... so i picked this up...its not the best, and probably not comparable to many of your guys's bikes but i feel its in good condition...2004 Norco Fluid with a few upgrades...

Only thing it needs now is, new/better tires and cables...and its good to go!

I was thinking about heading out to Usery this sat morning and just play around and get used to the bike, cant do anything fast or hard, due to the tires and Helmet issue. But looking forward to meeting you guys!

banned
    I must say, that is a sick rig for just getting back in the game. Components look to be in great shape! I personally could not think of a better option or a way to spend your money

Don't believe the Hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootie Tang
    I must say, that is a sick rig for just getting back in the game. Components look to be in great shape! I personally could not think of a better option or a way to spend your money
    Suppatay ma dammie
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

Blood, Sweat, and Gears
    Nice rig! Welcome back to the sickness
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. -- Abraham Lincoln

mtbr member
    You guys think this is a pretty decent bike?? This is coming from someone who has very little knowledge on bikes and what not....

mtbr member
    That is an Easton...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootie Tang
    I might think twice about roughing that beauty up on usery
    Haha granted i do like big paperweights... i'd much rather use it and abuse it... gives a better excuse for a several thousand dollar bike...

mtbr member
    haha im sure i'll be riding this for a very long time...

EDR
    Welcome dude. Not a whole lot out at Usery but you can tool around a bit just to get going, I know I did out there. Pass mtn. is at Usery but you'll want to hit that later when you get your legs and skills up. I suggest Hawes. Not far from Usery and a fantastic place to get back into the game.....or even if you've been riding for 10 years for that matter.

mtbr member
    I saw reviews and a few pics of pass mtn. I am in no way ready for anything like that...

I went out to salt river area just for kicks this evening just to see where i stand...did a small fraction of the Hawes trail system. I did pretty poorly haha But it did expose a few issues with the bike, which is good. So just need to work on those kinks....

Anyone have a pump for a Fox Float RL shock?

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Usery has some great trails to get into better shape. Make sure you hit Cat Peak for a taste of "technical" climbing. It will get your heart rate up and help you get the feel for your bike. Pass Mountain would be the next step up.

You might also want to try Wild Horse that is North on Usery (Ellsworth) a few miles from the main entrance to Usery Park. On the left you will see a little pull off area and an opening that leads to the old shooting pit. Ride through that and follow the trail. The out and back is about 7 miles and you can do more as it climbs into the backside of Hawes. Wild Horse is one of my favorite trails because it has a lot of up and down, a couple fast areas to bomb, and some sustained but gradual climbs that will get you in shape.

Eatdrinkride is right that Hawes is a great place to ride. It is more difficult than any place I have mentioned, but it is a lot of fun.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Right around the canal dam. But i did the Hawes Proper trail till it brached off to the towers trail. By then i was done...and turned around... My tires just SUCK! So i cant do alot without sliding...

I appreciate the tips guys, i will definitly be checking a couple of these places out.

Here's my tires...i did expect them to slip at any given angle...but just couldnt wait to get out haha

mtbr member
    love them tires. Aren't they those Deathwish 2s by special-lies What were you gonna get to replace 'em?
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

EDR
    My tires just SUCK!
    Holy suck-ass-tires Batman!

Yes you need some proper off road tires. You don't have to spend 50 bucks a tire. Look online for some knobbies. Some of the tires on this page (under 20 bucks) will get you going and will be 100 times better in the dirt. http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Categor...egoryId=202470

Heck, the Prowler is 11 bucks and will transform your riding! I'd jump on that tire for a budget buy.

mtbr member
    Not sure on what kind of tires. But my buddy, the one who gave the bike to me, has a few knobby tires sitting in the garage. So i'll pick them up and swap them out. If they arent decent, i'll probably get those prowlers

mtbr member
    If they are old or the sidewalls look weak don't waste your time with them. I am sure once you get new tires you will see a huge improvement in your skills. Oh one more thing... have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tankerblade
    Right around the canal dam. But i did the Hawes Proper trail till it brached off to the towers trail. By then i was done...and turned around... My tires just SUCK! So i cant do alot without sliding...

I appreciate the tips guys, i will definitly be checking a couple of these places out.

Here's my tires...i did expect them to slip at any given angle...but just couldnt wait to get out haha

Oh I see.....you need to slather some more Crisco on those tires.......

Knobs, knobs, knobs......get 'em!!! Unless you like cruising on crushed limestone paths....

mtbr member
    Those tires definitely feel like they have crisco on them. They caused me to flip off over the bars down a VERY steep hill....flew down the hill about 20ft and slid about another 30ft.

I am going to go get those knobies on Monday so hopefully things get a tad better on traction. I know how important tires and traction are since i have a jeep

im4Gsus
    can you ride early week days? i'm thinking of riding lower usery trails early this thursday morning.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    I cant do early week days due to school unfortunately...but next month i will be able to!

Update! got 4 new to me tires plus two extra rims...so after this ride, i'll post up pics of them and let me know what you guys think. Plus i got a helmet and pump from wallyworld for $42. That should be able to hold me off till i can afford a better helmet

mtbr member
    So i accomplished the Hawes Trail...granted i walked alot because my derailer was acting funky and could only get 3 out of the 7 gears and walked some of the longer bigger hills because im so out of shape, but it was a good day in general....and since everyone likes pics...

mtbr member
    A few more...

And my injuries...

Shifted
    Feb 2009
    rider and bike, re-torn in! Welcome back!
    back at it
    2014 Trek Stache 7.

Eroding into the trail

Carnage!

Members who have read this thread: 0