mtbr member
    Jun 2004

New to Glendale Area; Ready to Ride!

Hey Arizona board

I just moved out to Glendale from California a few weeks ago and have started graduate school at Midwestern. Still adjusting to the weather and courseload but I want to try mountain biking out here. Anyone close to the area w/ some advice? I'm open to all types of riding.

My other ride is your mom
    You are close(er) to the White Tanks than most of us, so goat camp (XC) or goat camp (gnar) trails will get you going....the White Tanks are the prominent mountains to your west. A little closer to home, there are some short trails in and around Thunderbird park....the basalt hills at 59th, north of the 101 loop. I have not ridden these personally, but I hear that they can be heavy with hikers from time to time.

Outside of that, but within the valley...there is a sticky at the top of this forum for visitors and first time AZ riders which has a lot of info on areas....check it out with google maps in hand and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chober
    Hey Arizona board

I just moved out to Glendale from California a few weeks ago and have started graduate school at Midwestern. Still adjusting to the weather and courseload but I want to try mountain biking out here. Anyone close to the area w/ some advice? I'm open to all types of riding.
    Recently moved back to California from Peroia az, I am missing the Phoneix trails. Try White tanks it was a nice ride when i didnt have time to ride to my favorite trails. You need try Goat Camp trail at White tanks it is very simular to Cali trails. There is also Estrella mountain that is not to far, there is a short loop and a long loop i perfer the long loop very technical. You could hop on the 17 north and and try out Black Canyon Trial. That is a fun all single track ride. When you have time you need to make it out to South Mountain, that was my favorite ride in the the Phoneix area. Pass Mountain and Mcdowell are fun rides but it is a bit of a drive to get to these trails. I used Cosmic Rays fat tire trail guide book which you can get at most bike shops.
    Have fun Ed

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chober
    Hey Arizona board

Where are you located in Glendale? There are lots of trail options around. I ride T-100 a lot and have a group night ride that covers the Pyramid Peak area.

oh Lucky me
    i just moved out of glendale and into phoenix, T-100 is nice, thunderbird park is cool on the north side of 59th/pinnacle but like was said, trails are pretty short the south side is not all that much fun IMO. FINS is awesome if you can drive out there (Estrella Park area), McDowells, BCT, SoMo...riding in AZ is awesome!

azpoolguy, what is this Pyramid Peak area you speak of???
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Pyramid Peak is the desert area North of Happy Valley Rd. at the end of 67th. Ave or North of Stetson Hills off of 55th Ave. The 55th. Ave.canal crossing is now gated off but there are many locations to access the desert behind Sanoran Mountain Ranch. There are lots of jeep roads and some nice bits of single track around the buttes if you look for it. Check google earth and you can see all of the trails.

banned
    Hey Andrew, this is Harbottles friend Chuck.

You should come out next weekend and do Globe shuttle runs, you can do it on a smaller travel bike and it will be the BOMB!!! It will be cooler temp wise as well.

Trail Monger
    Is this area known as the Union Hills Loop? I was thinking that this area is "drying up" due to the construction of the 303 loop down lone mtn or jomax. I would like to ride this area before it clears up.

OFS
    Old Fat & Slow
    Nov 2007

Thunderbird Park

Thunderbird park is only a mile or so from Midwestern on 59th. The trails aren't the greatest, but it works well for early morning rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I just went through there this afternoon....it was rather warm, but good to be back on the bike

Trail Monger
    Hawes is nowhere near Glendale. I guess a meetup at Haws TH is in order. A short run thru TRW and a skirt of twisted sister might be in order. Maybe a run thru of the "New" section... psss secret trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Hey Andrew, this is Harbottles friend Chuck.

You should come out next weekend and do Globe shuttle runs, you can do it on a smaller travel bike and it will be the BOMB!!! It will be cooler temp wise as well.

Hey Chuck,

Haha I haven't been keeping up with my thread. What time are you guys riding? Which weekend is this, I'm stuck in the Twilight Zone @ school here. Its only been 2 weeks and I got my 2nd test on Monday and gotta plow through like 120 pages of lecture material they dump on us.

What type of bike do you recommend for this trail exactly? How far is it away from where I live? I haven't been riding for a good while and am rusty.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy
    Where are you located in Glendale? There are lots of trail options around. I ride T-100 a lot and have a group night ride that covers the Pyramid Peak area.
    I live on campus at Midwestern University on 59th Ave/ Utopia. How far away am I from this ride?

oh Lucky me
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy
    Pyramid Peak is the desert area North of Happy Valley Rd. at the end of 67th. Ave or North of Stetson Hills off of 55th Ave. The 55th. Ave.canal crossing is now gated off but there are many locations to access the desert behind Sanoran Mountain Ranch. There are lots of jeep roads and some nice bits of single track around the buttes if you look for it. Check google earth and you can see all of the trails.
    oohhhhhhhh ok...i used to go ride my dirtbike out there a few years ago

chober, this area is like 3 or 4 miles north north west of midwestern.

Pyramid Peak that AZpoolguy speaks of:
    take 59th N to the 101 left to 67th N to happy valley and your there.

T-100
    take 59th S to Thunderbird (4 or so miles), left on thunderbird to 7th street, S on 7th street for about 3/4 mile, parking on right side (you will see signs for the visitor center). T-100 is 22 miles from start to finish one way. if you head east from this trail head/visitor center, it starts with some mellow climbing and then wraps around to some cool twisty d/h onto the rest of T100 that i know nothing about... if you go west from the TH/VC there are about 6 miles worth of loops you can ride around on. still pretty cool
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

Members who have read this thread: 0