New to the forums- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New to the forums

And fairly new to mountain biking. Haven't ridden in a few years, and need to get a new bike. I live in Surprise, but don't mind driving a bit to get to a good shop. Which ones do you guys like, and who has the best customer service for people who don't really have a clue?

mtbr member
    DNA in Avondale carries specialized, great bikes and free tune ups for a year. Nice guys, great service

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubshooter View Post
    And fairly new to mountain biking. Haven't ridden in a few years, and need to get a new bike. I live in Surprise, but don't mind driving a bit to get to a good shop. Which ones do you guys like, and who has the best customer service for people who don't really have a clue?
    Check out Exhale Bikes.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    I agree, Exhale is great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Cactus

mtbr member
    The guys at performance bike on T-Bird are nice, at least the front guys, but the main mechanic is really not so friendly. Example: Last night I was riding and my crap rockShox fork on my Fuji outland 29er popped its top and left me walking out of the tanks. Called up Performance (were I bought bike 319 miles ago) and they were cool and I ran out of time so I took it in tonight. I want to upgrade the fork because the Tora TK sucks LOL and since it broke (stripped the threads off of the upper left fork tube and the spring shot out the top causing me to bottom the fork badly). I figured they would try and fix it, and they forced it back on (I totally think it will re-break soon). I asked the front desk guy (who was helpful) that I wanted to upgrade the fork anyway as I dont trust this one any more and it sucks. He said I have to talk that over with the mechanic as thats what he does. I talk to the mechanic and he shoots me down. Saying its a special fork for the bike and its made for it. He says it will take a special fork to upgrade it and will be upwards of $600. I was like "no shizit captain obvious (about the money) and said I found some starting at $7-800, no big deal". He said you cant go and throw longer travel, I was like really, no shizit again. Like I cant find 100mm travel forks with tapered steerer for this bike. He was like, well the forks fixed now, so its good. I was stunned. He just turned down a sale in the ball park of $800, because I have been wanting to upgrade the fork for a while anyway. Also want to change the shock in the near future, but guess where I am not going . Gotta find another shop to spend my money at, what a shame!
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tsefreeflow View Post
    The guys at performance bike on T-Bird are nice, at least the front guys, but the main mechanic is really not so friendly. Example: Last night I was riding and my crap rockShox fork on my Fuji outland 29er popped its top and left me walking out of the tanks. Called up Performance (were I bought bike 319 miles ago) and they were cool and I ran out of time so I took it in tonight. I want to upgrade the fork because the Tora TK sucks LOL and since it broke (stripped the threads off of the upper left fork tube and the spring shot out the top causing me to bottom the fork badly). I figured they would try and fix it, and they forced it back on (I totally think it will re-break soon). I asked the front desk guy (who was helpful) that I wanted to upgrade the fork anyway as I dont trust this one any more and it sucks. He said I have to talk that over with the mechanic as thats what he does. I talk to the mechanic and he shoots me down. Saying its a special fork for the bike and its made for it. He says it will take a special fork to upgrade it and will be upwards of $600. I was like "no shizit captain obvious (about the money) and said I found some starting at $7-800, no big deal". He said you cant go and throw longer travel, I was like really, no shizit again. Like I cant find 100mm travel forks with tapered steerer for this bike. He was like, well the forks fixed now, so its good. I was stunned. He just turned down a sale in the ball park of $800, because I have been wanting to upgrade the fork for a while anyway. Also want to change the shock in the near future, but guess where I am not going . Gotta find another shop to spend my money at, what a shame!
    Yeah, that guy's pretty grumpy....

I mentioned him in an earlier thread....

http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/lbs-e...ml#post7945082

Also, sent the wife on a mission to get a couple of extra spokes at that Performance. Apparently, they just keep random spokes in a Pringles can in the back. Luckily they were able to part with some of their spokes of various lengths that were kinda close to what I needed........

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I was in the same situation as you a month back. Unfortunately, the bike I wanted was not available at DNA and I searched and went to pretty much every store in the valley. DNA would have been my shop of choice but there are plenty of good shops out there.

I live in Surprise, so hit me up when you get a bike and we'll go hit the trails. I am just getting started myself.

Tom

mtbr member
    Sounds good. I'm hoping to get a bike by the end of November. Birthday is the last day and if I get some of the checks I'm waiting on, wife said it can be a good birthday present. Just need to start hunting for what I want

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    If you like Trek, the guys at the Avondale store are great. They are always willing to help you and offer free LIFE TIME tune ups with the purchase of a bike.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    May I suggest visiting all the stores peeps have recommended and sitting/test riding as many bikes as you possibly can. This'll give you a great feel for the customer service, as well as what bike fits you best. And once you find that bike, ride the piss out of it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by K3N View Post
    May I suggest visiting all the stores peeps have recommended and sitting/test riding as many bikes as you possibly can. This'll give you a great feel for the customer service, as well as what bike fits you best. And once you find that bike, ride the piss out of it!
    I think this just may be the best advice I've read so far. What some people like may not be what you like. Also, this way, you'll build rapport with a shop before you buy!
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    AZ is a big state.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

Downhill Spokesmodel

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    Cactus
    Ha ha, Javelina.
    Been living under a rock for the last month?
    D-bag owner Brian Aceineux(?) closed the shop a month ago and left the employees hanging. Family friend of one of the employees gave a loan check for $10k to keep the doors open and was told it would reopen in a few days. Last I heard, they are still out their ten g's and d-bag is selling remaining stock for cash.
    When you need service look up Phoenix Bike Repair on FaceBook. Top notch repairs by one of the best wrenches in the state.
    *unfortunately they do not sell new bikes.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    Oh, didn't realize Cactus was closed (my rock is pretty cozy). Was going to head over there and check them out. Thanks for saving me the gas.

mtbr member
    Bicycle ranch in scottsdale is top notch.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    Bicycle ranch in scottsdale is top notch.
    +1 on Bicycle Ranch! Awesome service and great bike selection - Trek, BH, Cannondale, ect.
    Marty

mtbr member
    It's far from you but Rage Cycles in Scottsdale is a great shop. The guys are super knowledgeable, great customer service and they have a GREAT selection of bikes in stock.. All in all, a great shop with super cool guys running it..

mtbr member
    I might be sold on Rage... Theyre the only place I've seen around here that has Rocky Mountains! I had a Fusion a few years ago that I loved. Might have to check them out next week on my weekend

parenting for gnarness
    I might be sold on Rage... Theyre the only place I've seen around here that has Rocky Mountains! I had a Fusion a few years ago that I loved. Might have to check them out next week on my weekend
    i'm admittedly a Rage-homer, but they have been one of 'the shops' that people goto in the Valley for a long time. great, friendly group that will work with you as long as you work with them. I just bought my Firebird from them, 5th bike from them in 4 yrs, if that tells you anything about my satisfaction. and there is the pump track out back. They got a Slayer on the floor, i think large. they also carry Pivot, Niners, Turner, Salsa, Yeti, Kona and more. If you want to go in and browse, always helps to do it during a slow time of the day\week and you'll be able talk and shop where the staff can give you more attention.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Meatbomb
    when are the slow times

mtbr member
    Awesome. I love shops with selections, and not shops that only carry one brand. Went to one yesterday that only had Specialized. In my price range, they said "well, we have this bike".

And my days off are Monday Tuesday Wednesday. I would go tomorrow, but I have court. Maybe I'll take the wife out to Scottsdale next Monday.

parenting for gnarness
    Awesome. I love shops with selections, and not shops that only carry one brand. Went to one yesterday that only had Specialized. In my price range, they said "well, we have this bike".

And my days off are Monday Tuesday Wednesday. I would go tomorrow, but I have court. Maybe I'll take the wife out to Scottsdale next Monday.
    i did not realize you are coming from Surprise. Rage is a great choice, but, also worth trying to develop a relationship with a shop that you will be able to conveniently get to. 2 trips to the shop every time you have an issue...or, at least make the shop en route to one of your riding destinations. I defer to others for info on shops your side of town.

Specialized dealers generally deal almost exclusively in Specialized products. Also some shops carry high-end or harder to find brands, others do a little more mass-produced stuff like Trek, Giant, Fisher. Performance would fit into this category.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

EDR
    Rage is indeed great but lot's of high end stuff...which agian, is great if that's what you are looking for. Speshy dealers are required by (Speshy) law to carry something like 80% Speshy stuff. This includes bikes, gloves, shorts, grips, jerseys....etc etc etc. Hate those shops myself only b/c they are myopic in their selection. Can't speak to shops over in your neck of the woods but the minute you step into Rage you'll say to yourself, "now this is a MTB shop"! It's small and you can walk the floor in 45 seconds but you can also spend an hour oogling over the frames hanging on the racks

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    i'm admittedly a Rage-homer, but they have been one of 'the shops' that people goto in the Valley for a long time. great, friendly group that will work with you as long as you work with them. I just bought my Firebird from them, 5th bike from them in 4 yrs, if that tells you anything about my satisfaction. and there is the pump track out back. They got a Slayer on the floor, i think large. they also carry Pivot, Niners, Turner, Salsa, Yeti, Kona and more. If you want to go in and browse, always helps to do it during a slow time of the day\week and you'll be able talk and shop where the staff can give you more attention.
    And they are now an Ibis dealer!

mtbr member
    I'm looking entry level, but dont know what I want. I like the looks of the Cannondale SL 29er 4 and liked my old Rocky Mountain Fusion. Looking for a shop who can provide some options for an entry level but not try to up-sell me. Close would be nice, but I haven't found much out here. Haven't been to Performance yet, but they're right by my inlaws and I work in the area. Only bad thing is I work there at night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortBusJames View Post
    Ha ha, Javelina.
    Been living under a rock for the last month?
    D-bag owner Brian Aceineux(?) closed the shop a month ago and left the employees hanging. Family friend of one of the employees gave a loan check for $10k to keep the doors open and was told it would reopen in a few days. Last I heard, they are still out their ten g's and d-bag is selling remaining stock for cash.
    When you need service look up Phoenix Bike Repair on FaceBook. Top notch repairs by one of the best wrenches in the state.
    *unfortunately they do not sell new bikes.
    James, Thanks for the update & I for one won't miss the mexican food joint next door, yet the Staff @ Cactus and there expertise will be a Huge loss for the South Mtn, Community ...Is this new location by appt. only or how will it work if I'm looking to rent a ride for an out of town budd that I want to expose our fine trails to? Thanks

mtbr member
    I'm also a resident of Surprise. Just so you are aware,a new bike shop, Ultimate Cycles, just opened in the west valley. They are in Goodyear, just south of the 10 on Estrella Parkway. I mention them because they sell Cannondales, and the owner definitely knows his stuff and is a good guy.

Downhill Spokesmodel
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelina View Post
    James, Thanks for the update & I for one won't miss the mexican food joint next door, yet the Staff @ Cactus and there expertise will be a Huge loss for the South Mtn, Community ...Is this new location by appt. only or how will it work if I'm looking to rent a ride for an out of town budd that I want to expose our fine trails to? Thanks
    Phoenix Bike Repair address
    Posted hours are 9am-6pm M-F, but check out the Facebook Page cause Fishy sometimes works weekends, comes in late or closes early.
    As far as rentals, I think I have heard that South Mountain Cycles does rentals as do other shops in town.
    Now I DRIVE the short bus!!

Help increase ShortBus' rep

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sunday Cycles at 32nd and Bell! I used them for the first time this past weekend and had some great service. Santa Cruz, Niner, Kona...

Sunday Cycles

They may be a little far from Surprise, but taking the 101/51 to get there might not be too bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you are looking at Cannondale you might want to check out Bicycle Vibe. It is up north of Phoenix near I 17 and Carefree highway. I have had great customer service and the work they did on my bikes was excellent. This is also a great shop to stop at after riding black canyon.

mtbr member

Javelina bike shop?

Anybody familiar with them I was in there & they have a nice selection of Giant & Yeti.