Thread: New Dawg

mtbr member

New Dawg

Hello All, My name is Eric and I am brand new to this site. I have been checking it out for a few weeks and I can only say great things about it and you riders that contribute to it. My brief history is I am a transplant from the foothills of northern CA (Folsom) where I lived on some of the sweetest single track trails ever. Long story short I moved to AZ five years ago, sold my Giant XtC NRS and now I am regretting it. I bought a new to me Kona Dawg and have been riding it daily. I live near San Tan park so I have been riding there on my days off and I bring it to work to ride on my lunch hour. I look forward to increasing my endurance and riding with you on these great rides. There is just one problem now I need more bikes. I want a DH and a dirt jump type too. Oh if only I were rich. Thanks for listening and providing the great pictures and videos.

oooh, shiny...
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowbutSure
    ...There is just one problem now I need more bikes....
    Don't we all?

EDR
    If you can't have a bike for all types of riding you'll get the most use out of a 5-6'' bike for AZ riding. Something light enough to pedal up everything and capable of descending chunky stuff. Pretty much any "AM" type bike fits that category, and the Dawg may be fine, I'm not too familiar with it. San Tan doesn't have too much to offer from what I know about the area. For xc riding look up Hawes and Pass Mtn. in east Mesa, MMP in Fountain Hills and for bare desert xc (Desert Classic) and some great tech (National) you need to get out to South Mtn. Some rocky/chunky d/h trails out there also.

People ride every type of bike imaginable around here on all the above mentioned trails...hard tails, ridged, ss, d/h and f/r bikes...but the most bang for the buck comes in the "AM'/heavy xc type bikes with larger volume knobby tires. Oh yeah, be prepared to go through a rear tire every few months around here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowbutSure
    Hello All, My name is Eric and I am brand new to this site. I have been checking it out for a few weeks and I can only say great things about it and you riders that contribute to it. My brief history is I am a transplant from the foothills of northern CA (Folsom) where I lived on some of the sweetest single track trails ever. Long story short I moved to AZ five years ago, sold my Giant XtC NRS and now I am regretting it. I bought a new to me Kona Dawg and have been riding it daily. I live near San Tan park so I have been riding there on my days off and I bring it to work to ride on my lunch hour. I look forward to increasing my endurance and riding with you on these great rides. There is just one problem now I need more bikes. I want a DH and a dirt jump type too. Oh if only I were rich. Thanks for listening and providing the great pictures and videos.
    I lived in Citrus Heights until 1993 during my Sophmore year in HS. I started out with a Trek 820 with good old Shimano 200GS biopace I only rode a few of the trails, spending most of my time riding the creaks, and along the American river Bike trail, but the trails up there where you mentioned were sweet. A Kona Dawg is a great bike for Arizona riding. Get out to South Mountain and ride Desert Classic, then move up to National. Hawes can be fun, The comp loops in Fountain Hills are not very technical, but are nice fast XC riding. Plenty of places to ride just got to go exploring.

mtbr member
    I've been riding a Dawg in the Valley for four years and love it. A light AM wheelset really brings out the performance of the bike.

Check out each of the County Parks, they all seem to have a nice variety of trails. As we're moving into our "warm" season, try to ride starting at sunrise and finish up before it gets too hot. Many of the Preserves also mentioned have great trails, and that is just in the Valley. Lots of trails in each direction from the Valley; higher elevations are also nice and a little cooler in the Summer if you're willing to drive an hour or two.

Also check out the sticky at the top of the page for lots of trail ideas.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    San Tan is a good trail, especially for a quick fun ride. It's not technical, but has some fast fun flowing sections and over 700ft of climbing. I live closest to it and head out there when I need a quick riding fix.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the great info. I do plan on hitting the suggested trails and I really want to go help work on the new pump track at MMP. It looks like a great time. The other riding I want to do is DH. The pics and vids from the SoMo crew look crazy. I am just a little disappointed in my bike and maybe it is just me but my urban riding at night is not all that great. Meaning I am having a problem with getting smooth air time on it. Guess I just need more practice as I am sure a differant bike won't make that much of a differance. Thanks again

Members who have read this thread: 0