New bike Stoke - New bike for my 9 year old- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New bike Stoke - New bike for my 9 year old

My daughter is turning 10 in start of May and it was time for a new bike for her. However due to heat why not do it early to get some good ride time in before it gets hot.

So here it is 24" Specialized Hotrock. It has some big new things for her. 21 gears so shifting and hand brakes. Her prior bike was coaster brake 20" walmart special. So big gains and she loves it.

New bike Stoke -  New bike for my 9 year old-img_1001-s.jpg

New bike Stoke -  New bike for my 9 year old-img_1002-s.jpg
    First quick ride.. Blurry, but a big smile
    New bike Stoke -  New bike for my 9 year old-img_1007-s.jpg
    New bike Stoke -  New bike for my 9 year old-img_1008-s.jpg
    First proper ride on the bike 5.7 Miles - "Daddy I want ride father than I did on my old bike."

New bike Stoke -  New bike for my 9 year old-img_1009-s.jpg
    New bike Stoke -  New bike for my 9 year old-img_1015-s.jpg
    Second Ride 7.1miles - "Daddy I want ride one more mile than yesterday"

So far we are mixed pavement and simple dirt paths in neighborhood. In time it will work towards proper trails.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Click Click Click
    Awesome!
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    Sweet bike. Can't wait for my kid to out grow bikes with coaster brakes.
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

proceed with caution
    Nice! I am shopping now for a first mountain bike for my 7yr old daughter so I can't wait for this

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Awesome Joe!

dirt visionary
    Nice mine just got off her specialized 24" and I moved her up to a xs ti racer x I had stashed in the closet for 4 years.
    New bike Stoke -  New bike for my 9 year old-12644874_10208256694632047_9212350913785735537_n.jpg
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Excellent.

But what tires is she running...

dirt visionary
    round and black with nobbies
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

parenting for gnarness
    The tires Spec put on their 20in (and i assume 24) hotrock are actually really good and not a common style in that size. Mild knobbies with mild directional ,2.1inch. When it was time to replace them in those sizes I found very little other than bmx style slicks, so wound up rebuying from Spesh. Might have more choice in a 24, but not much. Also worth looking to shed whatever bits you might have at home - just the handlebar from my 20inch for a $25 carbon bar saved 20oz. I found the worst part of the hotrock was the deraileur - under $10 and it broke often. I wound up replacing with a road deraileur and a lever shifter - huge improvement in durability and (at least in the 20inch) shifting ability.

good luck!!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Nice mine just got off her specialized 24" and I moved her up to a xs ti racer x I had stashed in the closet for 4 years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12644874_10208256694632047_9212350913785735537_n.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	1058872
    Whenever people start saying, "26ers are dead!" I'm thinking No they are NOT. They are still the perfect move up bike for kids and some grownups, too. And to move up to a Racer X? Simply an awesome, classic (and classy) bike!
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Whenever people start saying, "26ers are dead!" I'm thinking No they are NOT. They are still the perfect move up bike for kids and some grownups, too. And to move up to a Racer X? Simply an awesome, classic (and classy) bike!
    most of our kids race team has skipped 24s and gone directly into XS cheap 26 frames. Its a great option if you can make it fit, lots of available parts to be had affordably. You have to do a lot more work and research which may or may not be your thing, but it was a great family project for us. More even than the weight, you really see wheel size making a difference in kids ability to ride trails - 20 vs 24 vs26 are all big improvements.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Nice Joe! A decent bike makes such a difference. I love taking my kids out for rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    Stashes in the closet for 4 years..... I love it!
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    ... Also worth looking to shed whatever bits you might have at home - just the handlebar from my 20inch for a $25 carbon bar saved 20oz. ...!
    Well a keen eye will notice the handle bar is not stock. I replaced the blue steel handle bar with race face 23" long bar I had on my old mtn bike. Perfect size and 400 grams saved.
    Joe

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Well a keen eye will notice the handle bar is not stock. I replaced the blue steel handle bar with race face 23" long bar I had on my old mtn bike. Perfect size and 400 grams saved.
    and now you have your very own riot baton!

Black and Sticky
    Good job Joe on the new bike. You should be very proud that your daughter wants to hang out with her dad. And I saw in another thread that you are ditching the Whiskey race in favor of hanging with your daughter. You're doing it right!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    That is sweet Joe! Caleb loves his 20 Hotrock. I too added some EC90 bars, a carbon post, removed the roller guide up front and used a light one. Now to ad the XTR V-brakes, XT 8spd derailuer and cassette with XTR hubs.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    That is sweet Joe! Caleb loves his 20 Hotrock. I too added some EC90 bars, a carbon post, removed the roller guide up front and used a light one. Now to ad the XTR V-brakes, XT 8spd derailuer and cassette with XTR hubs.
    what did you use for the roller guide, that thing is so heavy! I took it apart once and it looked to my untrained eye like it was designed just for that bb and frame. Its awful and the chain constantly drops off the front ring side-to-side anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That's Awesome Joe. I can't wait until my kiddos are ready to hit the trails.

This thread wins. Good stuff, everyone.
    "These things are very fancy commuter bikes or really bad dirt bikes, but they are not mountain bikes." - J. Mac

parenting for gnarness
    Curious what other upgrades you are considering? I seem to have stumbled into one of these very similar to yours, for my 7yo who is outriding her 20in hotrock but just too small to take over the older daughter's 26?

mtbr member
    You can get Rocket Rons in 24 inch, super light weight.

mtbr member
    Depends on how much you want to put into it but those rocket Rons on a set of 24" Stan's Crests would be a huge improvement

mtbr member
    Curious what other upgrades you are considering? I seem to have stumbled into one of these very similar to yours, for my 7yo who is outriding her 20in hotrock but just too small to take over the older daughter's 26?
    None right now. I just want her to ride it. I though about upgrading a lot of parts, but at this point it really does not make a difference. I will see how many miles she puts on it and address it that way. The bars were easy to swap since I had set of light 25.4 mm dia bars laying around so why not.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkrw3 View Post
    Depends on how much you want to put into it but those rocket Rons on a set of 24" Stan's Crests would be a huge improvement
    Um Um... that would mean a change to disc brakes as well. Good to know I can upgrade once the time comes.
    Joe

parenting for gnarness
    Um Um... that would mean a change to disc brakes as well. Good to know I can upgrade once the time comes.
    check if your bike even supports it. On the 24in I have, i dont think the front fork even has the mounts. which is probably a good thing for my wallet.

mtbr member
    check if your bike even supports it. On the 24in I have, i dont think the front fork even has the mounts. which is probably a good thing for my wallet.
    Her bike has tabs front and rear. Just needs the wheels and brakes.
    Joe