Just another half mile...

New Bicycle Cattle Guards on BCT - Input needed

Some of you BCT regulars may have noticed, BLM has begun to install Bicycle Cattle Guards along the BCT to replace all the cowboy gates along the trail. The BLM is asking for input on what the riders think of the new Bicycle Cattle Guards. So post up your suggestions or conerns regarding the new Bicycle Cattle Guards and I will pass them along to the powers to be at the BLM.

Last edited by Epicrider; 04-19-2011 at 01:29 PM.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    Some of you BCT regulars may have noticed, BLM has begun to install Bicycle Cattle Guards along the BCT to replace all the cowboy gates along the trail. The BLM is asking for input on what the riders think of the new Bicycle Cattle Guards. So post up your suggestions or conerns regarding the new Bicycle Cattle Guards and I will pass them along to the powers to be at the BLM.
    Im not a regular on that trail but I did experience them when I was there last. I liked them due to the fact you dont need to dismount your bike. Definitely helps in keeping flow. That being said if you dont hit them square or for whatever reason your cant make it over I wouldnt want to be unclipping up on top of one. I do see potential injury issues.
    Regardless I do prefer them and feel the benefits outweigh the risks.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Ahhh the pain....
    I think they are great...nice way to reduce all those incidental stops that tend to add up. A couple of us were talking last time how someone is going to get hurt on one, but then again, it's your choice to use the ramp or the gate. If you're out there in the first place, you'd better accept the risk.
    I will say, the one at the top of the rise on the east side of the pan loop can be dicey...you're heart rate is max due to the climb right before, the approach isn't real straight either. However, I wouldn't change a thing. If they can do all the gates, especially the plethora of them if the middle sections between BB and RS, that'd be great.

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum
    I will say, the one at the top of the rise on the east side of the pan loop can be dicey...you're heart rate is max due to the climb right before, the approach isn't real straight either.
    Agreed.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

My other ride is your mom
    I really dig'em....way better than other gates I've seen.

Let'er Buck
    Pretty much right on really like them but that one is tuff going up.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

parenting for gnarness
    what took so long for us to distinguish ourselves from cows?

love em, and enjoy the challenge. different injury potential - i've scratched my ankles and hands on cowboy gates plenty of times, and there never seems to be a good place to lean your bike while wrestling with the wire closure loops.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member

Big fan of them. Makes it much faster to get through, and prevents any issues of bikers leaving gates open, or having to lift your bike over the fence.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

drink coffee, ride.
    those are excellent gates - easy to ride through, even if a little unsettling mentally.

Tucson, AZ
    Love them! I was riding out there on Sunday and saw one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Saw one for the first time about a month ago. Very Nice!

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    what took so long for us to distinguish ourselves from cows?

love em, and enjoy the challenge. different injury potential - i've scratched my ankles and hands on cowboy gates plenty of times, and there never seems to be a good place to lean your bike while wrestling with the wire closure loops.

On the ground, yo! It's always there, and it ain't moving.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I'm a fan. Did the one just a bit north of RS get the ramps put in? Last time I was there a few weeks ago, only the horizontal part was there. Looked kinda hard to bunny-hop up onto. I just don't have those mad skills after 40 miles.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I didn't mind them so much heading out... but on the way back after about 25 miles my balance ain't as stellar!

mtbr member
    Very Nice! I wish BLM could put those in for all the moto trails too. Stopping for gates just sucks. Maybe they could spray some bed-liner coating on there for traction and rust prevention.

They are brilliant.

Yeah, they can be a challenge for some and hold potential for injury. However, those that are uncomfortable with them can always use the gate.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Like!

Control Freak
    I really liked them when I was out last. We talked to the crew that was installing them and they are trying to get all the gates done along the entire trail.

dirt visionary
    needs a bit more lip to it . Then you can just clear it
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Explore More
    The BLM is asking for input on what the riders think of the new Bicycle Cattle Guards.

Never actually seen any of those type of crossings, though I'm sure they will work well. Should get to check them out next week?

Just wondering why they didn't use the simpler arch/semi-circle type? Crossed over plenty of those in Utah this past week.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Much better than some I came across on dirt roads in Mexico where the rails ran parallel to the road!

mtbr member
    Epic,
    Great question, I ride it 2-3 times per week. (rock springs) The one down by ther river is a freakin hazard on the way back up the hill, It is hard to transition the ramp. Going down no sweat. Other than that they are fantastic

I was going to PM you on this today anyway.....A trail bypass that makes tons of sense. From the north and south river crossings at rock springs keeping the trail on the northwest side of the river, this makes long trailhead-trailhead point to point rides, not easier but more feasable to longer trail runs when the water is high. When the water is high your rides tend to be shorter and chopped up by the water.

A second Bypass is also need on the LPL to allow a loop even during high water, I have walked it, it would be about 3/4 mile to connect them.

A bit off topic but I believe these bypasses follow the spirt of (inner trail system loops) of the BCT system.

Thanks for this system.

Steve

mtbr member
    Was just visiting down there and aim to return next Spring. I liked 'em a lot except for a short person like me on a 150 mm fork some of the ramps were too steep depending on direction and alignment. If they could just flatten out the ones at the top of climbs where you just don't have it for the burst up that would be perfecto!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They are all good, like the comments say if you don't like them use the gate. Please relay our thanks for a great trail and the work that goes into it.

gearhead
    Dec 2004
    Love them. More please!

aka Diesel
    Did a solo ride out there from Rock Springs this morning, and gotta say....

HATE 'EM!!!!
    But that's only because I don't have the nerve to ovary-up and give it a try. At least not when I am by myself, and don't currently have health insurance.

More power and much envy to those who get to blaze on through, but regardless of my wimpiness, I will say that the gates themselves are a 150% improvement to negotiate, so I'm happy either way.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

aka Diesel
    Did a solo ride out there from Rock Springs this morning, and gotta say....

HATE 'EM!!!!
    But that's only because I don't have the nerve to ovary-up and give it a try. At least not when I am by myself, and don't currently have health insurance.

More power and much envy to those who get to blaze on through, but regardless of my wimpiness, I will say that the gates themselves are a 150% improvement to negotiate, so I'm happy either way.

mtbr member
    Hey Coyote,
    After I finished fixing my sidewall today, I got to thinkin......EVERY time I have seen you on BCT, I am fixing a dang sidewall tear?

Hope your ride was as enjoyable as was mine.

Steve

mtbr member
    Love 'em...would be cool to have one span the river...
    Check my pulse...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by chipolopolo
    Hey Coyote,
    After I finished fixing my sidewall today, I got to thinkin......EVERY time I have seen you on BCT, I am fixing a dang sidewall tear?

Hope your ride was as enjoyable as was mine.

Steve
    lol... How funny, that we didn't put mtbr connections/names together, at the time. Enjoyed the breather I needed, heading up that grind and running into you, although I'm sorry you had bad luck on the rewarding downhill. Glad you got your sidewall fixed. I've done a seven mile walk-out on that trail, and it ain't fun! (says the chick who was sporting three water bottles stuffed in her jersey pockets, and no camelback with supplies, today.)

I did have an enjoyable ride. Even stopped for a good 5 minutes to take in the sound of "nothing". Very serene. Nice to get back to my adventurous roots. I will definitely be spending time on that trail again, going forward. So nice meeting you Steve. See you again, hopefully riding, and not "fixing". ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Startled me the first time out of Rock Springs, quite a change from before. Didn't mind them heading out for the Little Pan Loop, but the were just too much coming back. But it was okay, because the new gates are a cinch.

mtbr member
    Those are great! Especially for the fact that we or mx riders get lots of blame from ranchers to the BLM for leaving the old style fences open. As far as safety- on that trail there is plenty of exposure, rocks, cactus, snakes, mountain lions, people, our own lack of skill that can hurt us-so why so many complaints on that?

In Gallup their version on the mesa trail system looked to be a really skinny opening (about 28 inches wide) that I guess they figured a cow would not fit through. Made me nervous on the race loop at first since one of them was on a smooth singletrack 20 mph downhill- and I just switched to wide bars/singlespeed!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member

this one is in gallup, nm.

easy to roll and much less iron fabrication ($$$).
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    the little hikers and biker (plasa cut) is kinda cool.

i think i'd be easier to dig a bit of a hole than elevate the entire platform. cows don't want to get their hooves caught in the pipe.

....who knows.....I'm just a ranch kid from North dakota.

BTW, love BCT! Great work out there guys!
    Maah Daah Hey

mtbr member
    New guards are a nice addition.

Old and Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog
    Just wondering why they didn't use the simpler arch/semi-circle type? Crossed over plenty of those in Utah this past week.
    That is exactly what I was thinking, There is one of those on Raptor in Cottonwood, and it is great!
    Getting out there one day at a time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    much better than deer guards. You seen those things, ****.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I just rode out there yesterday for the first time in a while. The first one kind of took me by surprise but was pretty easy to ride over. The new gates are real nice too. I vote for more of the ramps.

Members who have read this thread: 1