New AM rig. Learning to climb all over again.- Mtbr.com
    How much further ???

New AM rig. Learning to climb all over again.

I recently purchased a new RM Slayer and finally got out to Pass Mt to push the bike through its paces somewhat. When Im seated and spinning the pro-pedal feature on the RP23 makes it climb as good if not better than my old Wild Hare even though the Slayer has 3 more inches of travel.

Whats killing me is the steep technical manuevers. Im having a hard time figuring out where to put the front wheel while Im waiting an eternity for the rear to come up and over. I dont think Im positioned properly and just stall out on sections like step ups, that I routinely cleaned with my old Wild Hare. I hope this is just a matter of me learning to climb on the Slayer, and not the fact that I will be unable to climb the same terrain due to the different geometry. My WH has a head angle of 71 while the Slayer has 66.5. The Slayer obviously kills the WH on the decents I just hope I havent screwed myself out of being able to climb.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    i just ordered a RM altitude ten mins ago... i think its pretty much just a 'diet' version of the slayer, but the price was right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I recently purchased a new RM Slayer and finally got out to Pass Mt to push the bike through its paces somewhat. When Im seated and spinning the pro-pedal feature on the RP23 makes it climb as good if not better than my old Wild Hare even though the Slayer has 3 more inches of travel.

Whats killing me is the steep technical manuevers. Im having a hard time figuring out where to put the front wheel while Im waiting an eternity for the rear to come up and over. I dont think Im positioned properly and just stall out on sections like step ups, that I routinely cleaned with my old Wild Hare. I hope this is just a matter of me learning to climb on the Slayer, and not the fact that I will be unable to climb the same terrain due to the different geometry. My WH has a head angle of 71 while the Slayer has 66.5. The Slayer obviously kills the WH on the decents I just hope I havent screwed myself out of being able to climb.
    obviously the HA change is pretty drastic and will take some getting used to, but what about stem length, bar height & width changes from your WH?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post

That Slayer has real good Geo and the seat tube angle that I love , I have a 75 degree seat angle and love it, and I have a 66 degree HT angle and would like a 65 ......you will find the balance of the chassis that you need and be clearing everything in no time , it will just take some playing, testing and you will be way better than you were before .......I find that for me I climb way better with out any pro pedal at all .......I do not even have that feature anymore.
    Props on the new Slayer ....really nice bike

How much further ???
    Hey thanks. I assumed it was just going to take some time but I couldnt get over just how different it was going from 71 to 66.5. It definitely feels like my balance is off because the bike feels like it climbs like a goat but I have trouble controlling it in spots. Its frustrating in one sense and yet exciting to learn how to climb again.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain