• 08-01-2011
    Douger-1
    New AM rig. Learning to climb all over again.
    I recently purchased a new RM Slayer and finally got out to Pass Mt to push the bike through its paces somewhat. When Im seated and spinning the pro-pedal feature on the RP23 makes it climb as good if not better than my old Wild Hare even though the Slayer has 3 more inches of travel.

Whats killing me is the steep technical manuevers. Im having a hard time figuring out where to put the front wheel while Im waiting an eternity for the rear to come up and over. I dont think Im positioned properly and just stall out on sections like step ups, that I routinely cleaned with my old Wild Hare. I hope this is just a matter of me learning to climb on the Slayer, and not the fact that I will be unable to climb the same terrain due to the different geometry. My WH has a head angle of 71 while the Slayer has 66.5. The Slayer obviously kills the WH on the decents I just hope I havent screwed myself out of being able to climb.
  • 08-01-2011
    longhairmike
    i just ordered a RM altitude ten mins ago... i think its pretty much just a 'diet' version of the slayer, but the price was right.
  • 08-01-2011
    'size
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    I recently purchased a new RM Slayer and finally got out to Pass Mt to push the bike through its paces somewhat. When Im seated and spinning the pro-pedal feature on the RP23 makes it climb as good if not better than my old Wild Hare even though the Slayer has 3 more inches of travel.

Whats killing me is the steep technical manuevers. Im having a hard time figuring out where to put the front wheel while Im waiting an eternity for the rear to come up and over. I dont think Im positioned properly and just stall out on sections like step ups, that I routinely cleaned with my old Wild Hare. I hope this is just a matter of me learning to climb on the Slayer, and not the fact that I will be unable to climb the same terrain due to the different geometry. My WH has a head angle of 71 while the Slayer has 66.5. The Slayer obviously kills the WH on the decents I just hope I havent screwed myself out of being able to climb.

obviously the HA change is pretty drastic and will take some getting used to, but what about stem length, bar height & width changes from your WH?
  • 08-01-2011
    kelstr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post

That Slayer has real good Geo and the seat tube angle that I love , I have a 75 degree seat angle and love it, and I have a 66 degree HT angle and would like a 65 ......you will find the balance of the chassis that you need and be clearing everything in no time , it will just take some playing, testing and you will be way better than you were before .......I find that for me I climb way better with out any pro pedal at all .......I do not even have that feature anymore.
    Props on the new Slayer ....really nice bike :thumbsup:
  • 08-01-2011
    Douger-1
    Hey thanks. I assumed it was just going to take some time but I couldnt get over just how different it was going from 71 to 66.5. It definitely feels like my balance is off because the bike feels like it climbs like a goat but I have trouble controlling it in spots. Its frustrating in one sense and yet exciting to learn how to climb again.