the never ending "what tire" thread- Mtbr.com
    jjs
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

the never ending "what tire" thread

Hey guys,

So I've been in Phx for about 2 years now. As I live very close to trail 100 (pretty much at the park off 24th st if you're familiar with the area) this is where I typically ride. The current setup is a Conti Vert pro up front with a Huchenson Python rear. I've tried conti diesel (too heavy) but not much else. So anyway my other interest is adventure racing where the bike leg may be as long as 20-30 miles, so a low rolling resistance, preferably light weight tire would be nice. Any thoughts on what tire is a nice compromise between desert performance (I like the Vert pro) with lower rolling resistance? Seems a lot of people like the weirwolf tires or the Kenda Nevgal, how do these compare in terms of rolling resistance/weight? Any other suggestions?

Also, I'm looking to do more riding this season and looking for people to ride with. I work a funky schedule so typically can't make scheduled rides, but if anyone is looking to ride around here, I'm game...PM me.

Jeff

Not a Barry supporter.
    Hey Jeff...I've been here for 6 months and I've found the WTB Mutano Raptors work great. They grip everything and anything. For racing, I dig the WTB Nano Raptors. Low rolling resistance and pretty good grip. For racing, I'd go Nano's but for everyday use go Mutano's.

Hope that helps.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Fragile - must be Italian

2nd the Mutano's

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Hey Jeff...I've been here for 6 months and I've found the WTB Mutano Raptors work great. They grip everything and anything. For racing, I dig the WTB Nano Raptors. Low rolling resistance and pretty good grip. For racing, I'd go Nano's but for everyday use go Mutano's.

Hope that helps.
    I second the WTB Mutano's - 2.4 version. It is a relatively fat, high volume tire but rolls VERY well because of a "strip" down the center. The side nobbies are big enough to give good grip in the loose stuff but aren't sketchy in the hardpack. Weight is very reasonable - 580g (or so) for the 'race' version.

I ride my 2.4 Mutano's all the time on T100. It's the perfect tire for that trail. But I just did a 3 hr spin on National and they were great there too.

If the 2.4 Mutano's are too wide for your frame...I have no clue what to recommend. That's the pickle I find myself in with my old hardtail - 2.4 Mutano's won't clear the rear triangle (they fit fine on the NRS).

Thx...Doug

Members who have read this thread: 0