Need Info.--Four Peaks to Young Epic- Mtbr.com
    RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Need Info.--Four Peaks to Young Epic

I am trying to plan an epic ride up and over Four Peaks and then on fire roads to Young (about 100 miles). I am just in the initial planning stages and was wondering if anybody has ridden/camped/jeeped on the roads north of Roosevelt that run around the Salome Wilderness area. From the looks of it, they are forest roads 426, 425, 236, and 609. Just trying to find out the road conditions, best views, water sources, camping spots (we will have some support along the way), etc. Any information you could give me on the area would help. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A long time ago I camped in a cool little spot, north east of the north end of Roosevelt. I think it was called JX Ranch or maybe JR ranch. But I may be mistaking those names for some other place. It used to be on the topo map but I can't find it now. It was around the airstrip located at 33 59.1N and 1117.2W on the map. SW of there a bit I think.

Anyways, I took A+ road heading south from Punkin Center toward Roosevelt, then turned left (east) onto one of the dirt roads. After driving a bit we turned off and went downhill for about 1/2 mile where the road ended. There was an old building foundation, a small apple orchard and I think a spring. Great place to camp.

I'll look around some more but maybe someone else has been there and knows what I'm talking about.

Edit - I finally found it on a topo. J Slash X Ranch 33 58.315N 111 7.95W
    Last edited by jimbowilly; 09-01-2011 at 09:52 AM.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks. I was thinking that might be the best way to go around the east side of the wilderness area. Those other roads I mentioned go around the west side. It sounds like a good spot that has everything we would need. Edit: I googled that ranch site and it looks like it is sitting right on the trail that I was originally looking into (I guess I should have read more closely when you said it left from the north side of Roosevelt). It looks like a great spot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yeah it was real nice and the roads weren't too bad. If I remember right a friend of mine followed me in his car and the only problem he had was the last half mile down into the spot.

Granted this was 30 years ago so I would recommend that unless you have some good recent intel, check it out before your trip.

Meatbomb
    We use to run this trip on dirt bikes as a kid.. 4peaks to young to forest lakes.. I remember their being a killer hill climb near the cherry creek area.

RNC
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That sounds like what we are planning. We'll see if we can make it up to Forest Lakes, that would add some mileage and a lot of climbing. It sounds like j.willy drove up what I think is called the Buzzard Roost Canyon route. I am trying to find some less-used jeep roads to try and stay off the main Young Highway route as much as possible, though it looks like that may be the only way to make it all the way into Young.