Need help in Scottsdale, AZ- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Need help in Scottsdale, AZ

Hi Everybody,
    I need your help.
    It looks like my company will be sending me to Scottsdale, AZ for a week in July.
    I will be in taking classes the entire day, but I'm guessing the evenings will be sort of available.

It is still way too early to make any finite plans, but I wanted to start gathering information
    in case the stars line up and things work in my favor.

I am a solid intermediate rider here in Southeast Michigan. I'm not very fast, but that doesn't stop me from riding anything and everything that I can. If I get to a spot that looks like it's above my level, I walk it and continue riding. For those that know the Michigan area, I regularly ride Potowatomi, Pontiac Lake, Highland, Grubers Grinder, Stony Creek, etc. I hope this gives you an idea of my riding ability. I ALWAYS have a good time though!

So here are the questions:
    Is there anything near Scottsdale that I can ride in the evenings after class?
    Can anybody (tentatively) ride with me b/c I don't like riding foreign trails without a tour guide?
    Is there a way to get around if I don't have any transportation of my own?
    How long will it take to get to the trails?
    Is there a place that rents decent bikes nearby?
    Does anybody have a spare bike to lend out to a fellow mtbr?
    etc. etc etc.

I'm excited to finally get to AZ and experience that style of riding,
    but there are a lot of logistics to work out.
    I already read the "visitor sticky", but need more info, especially regarding Sottsdale.

I can't check this thread often during work, but I'll be checking it in the evenings,
    so don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't immediately reply to a post.
    Thanks in advance for your time and response.
    -Mark

Steep Hill
    Questions I can answer...

Quote Originally Posted by TrailBurner
    Yes. Bring your 2-3 hr burn time lights and 100oz + hydration system. Scottsdale is mighty long (30 miles) and skinny (+/-10 miles) so it depends where your hotel is located if you have easy access to Trail 100 (Tapatillo Cliffs), Lost Dog Wash, Sunrise, or Pima & Dynamite. Unfortunately all the easy access lodgings to T100 (Tapatillo Cliffs) or Pima & Dynamite (The Four Seasons) will be $$$ resorts....but the good news is they do offer slightly reduced rates in summer :-/. Add on a few more miles and you will have all of South Mountain, Hawes Pass, and others.

Can anybody (tentatively) ride with me b/c I don't like riding foreign trails without a tour guide?
    Sure, I will. And you shouldn't nightride solo on any of these trails without using extreme caution. There are regular Tuesday night rides offered on T100 and many supported people in this forum who will help you out if possible.

Scottsdale has public transportation but it will be harder for you. This is not a bike or community transit town unfortunately. Best bet is to rent a car or bum a ride or get one of the hotels within riding distance of Trail 100. Bring a damn good light.

You should be within 10 minutes of driving to the 3 main trails mentioned above.

Check back in when things get finalized. There are older threads out there too which may give more insight. Good Luck!

Steven
    ** Obey gravity. It's the law. **

I am Walt
    Probably Lost Dog/Sunrise (see my post in the Visitors sticky) or T100 area depending on where you're staying. Where will you be?

Night rides are great that time of year, though still HOT to visitors. You'll want to be experienced at night-riding though.

Bring all you gear, including lights (HID), and you can rent or borrow a bike. You're welcome to use one of mine if we hook up - how tall are you?

I'd love to hook up with you if I can. Lots of trails to show off.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Doctor Remulak
    Hi Everybody,
    I need your help.
    It looks like my company will be sending me to Scottsdale, AZ for a week in July.
    I will be in taking classes the entire day, but I'm guessing the evenings will be sort of available.

It is still way too early to make any finite plans, but I wanted to start gathering information
    in case the stars line up and things work in my favor.

I am a solid intermediate rider here in Southeast Michigan. I'm not very fast, but that doesn't stop me from riding anything and everything that I can. If I get to a spot that looks like it's above my level, I walk it and continue riding. For those that know the Michigan area, I regularly ride Potowatomi, Pontiac Lake, Highland, Grubers Grinder, Stony Creek, etc. I hope this gives you an idea of my riding ability. I ALWAYS have a good time though!
    I know the SE MI area you're talking about, and used to ride PL, Highland and Holdridge (Grubers) as my main rides when I lived there. You shouldn't have much trouble riding here in AZ, just keep in mind that if you crash, you're likely to land on rocks or cactus. There's also more elevation change on most trails here in AZ.

etc. etc etc.

I'm excited to finally get to AZ and experience that style of riding,
    but there are a lot of logistics to work out.
    I already read the "visitor sticky", but need more info, especially regarding Sottsdale.

I can't check this thread often during work, but I'll be checking it in the evenings,
    so don't think I'm ignoring you if I don't immediately reply to a post.
    Thanks in advance for your time and response.
    -Mark
    Walt & AZClydesdale already covered the recommeded areas to ride.

I will repeat the advice about water. Bring at least 100oz of water on any ride and drink lots of water during the day if you plan to ride in the evening.

Lights will be mandatory for evening/night rides, we don't have daylight at 9pm like you do in MI during the summer.

You should be able to rent a bike in Scottsdale pretty easily. (I don't know the shops up there very well).

Will you be around for a weekend?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Mark, here are some answers in a much easier format to follow:

1. T100 area, Lost Dog Wash and Pima & Dynamite are all close/in to Scottsdale and can all be ridden at night.
    2. There is a Tuesday night ride at T100 every week. I also can show you around, in addition to the others.
    3. Rent a car. It will likely be necessary.
    4. 30 minutes or less drive time to all these trails from Scottsdale.
    5. Not sure which stores rent. Showcase Bicycle might.
    6. I ride a size large and you can borrow my single speed or 5-Spot. Unless you use Time, bring your own pedals.
    I AM JUST A JERK

sprocket
    lights (HID)

Yeah, it is impossible to ride without a $400.00 light anywhere in the Valley. In fact, there was no riding in the Valley prior to HID light availability. Riding at night is something new to us.

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the replies. (and the pm's)
    I did not know what to expect, but now I'm getting all geeked for this trip!
    Here are some more details:

I'm 5'-8" and weigh 175. Probably 185 with camelbak and gear.
    I only have a regular Niterider Halogen light, but will look into borrowing some HID's for this trip.
    I can't afford the HID's. If I could afford them, I would already have them.

I should have more details in the next few weeks regarding exactly whereabouts in Scottsdale I'll be staying. Renting a car might be difficult b/c of my training schedule.
    Also, my company likes to plan mandatory "social events" for the evenings after the trainings, so I don't know if I'll be finished at 5:00 or 8:00.
    Like I said, I'll be getting more details in the coming weeks.
    I would like to get some daytime riding in so I can soak up the local scenery.

What kind of temps do you guys have in the July evenings?
    Here it is hot, muggy, really muggy, and lots of mosquitos.
    I have to drench myself in Cutters or Off for the summer rides.

I'll do some more research online to see what these trails are like.
    Thanks again for all of your replies.
    -Mark

I am Walt
    I only have a regular Niterider Halogen light, but will look into borrowing some HID's for this trip.
    I can't afford the HID's. If I could afford them, I would already have them.

I would like to get some daytime riding in so I can soak up the local scenery.

What kind of temps do you guys have in the July evenings?
    Here it is hot, muggy, really muggy, and lots of mosquitos.
    I have to drench myself in Cutters or Off for the summer rides.

I'll do some more research online to see what these trails are like.
    Thanks again for all of your replies.
    -Mark
    -Halogen will be fine; HID rocks
    - No, you don't want to/can't ride in the daytime here in July...unless you want to die
    - July evenings - 110+ to start, cooling down to 100. When the monsoon begins in mid-July, it gets humid also, with T-storms and haboobs (dust storms)
    - No mosquitos
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    lights (HID)

Yeah, it is impossible to ride without a $400.00 light anywhere in the Valley. In fact, there was no riding in the Valley prior to HID light availability. Riding at night is something new to us.
    Huh? Are you kidding? I can never tell if you're kidding.

$400?

Ouch, I am hot!

Monsoons. HID's, Kidding and What Not

Mark:

I do not recommend that you ride during the day in July. It is very hot. Early, early am is possible, like 5:00. The Monsoons will hit sometime in July (or so), which means some sort of storm activity almost every night. We still ride, but I hate it. The lightning scares the Bettlejuice out of me. HID's are not necessary. Just a good night riding light is all that is needed. I never can tell if Yetisurly is kidding, serious, or what not. Hell, I don't even know if he likes me. Nonetheless, he is right about the HID - you don't need one.

In terms of transportation, I have no idea how you will get around absent renting a car.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Holy Heck Batman! 100 Degrees at night?! YIKES.
    ...but it's a dry heat, right?

Is it dangerous, or as long as you're drinking and use common sense, you'll be all right?

Do most riders wear shin gaurds 'cause of the rocks? full face helmets?
    Do any of you have some photos of these trails?
    Thanks again for all of the info. I will post details as I recieve them.
    It'll be fun to ride with you guys!

EDR
    Holy Heck Batman! 100 Degrees at night?! YIKES.
    ...but it's a dry heat, right?

Is it dangerous, or as long as you're drinking and use common sense, you'll be all right?

Do any of you have some photos of these trails?
    Thanks again for all of the info. I will post details as I recieve them.
    It'll be fun to ride with you guys!
    Dry heat? Yes, most of the time, July is hit and miss.

Dangerous? Only to out-of-towners, haha. Yes, its hot at 8 or 9, or 10pm but dangerous...hmmm, keep hydrated during the day, drink more than you would ever think you need to and you should be ok while riding later. If you're confined to a classroom or ballroom all day you should really make a concerted effort to keep drinking, it will be nice and cool inside so your body will say it's not thirsty but when you get outside.......its too late to hydrate properly for physical activity. Especially if your not acclimated to our climate, I can't stress this enough. Will you die??? Not likely but heat sickness is not uncommon to visiters and it makes for an unpleasant day or two. Riding at night, without the sun beating down on you should greatly reduce this risk anyhow.

Pads? I think MOST do not use them. Even on the most technical trail in town (National) its a mix of pad and non pad wearing riders. Just keep in mind that when falling there is NO soft earth under you, anywhere, lol. Its loose (small crushed granite) over hardpack. Plenty of bigger rocks and or boulders are found on many area trails, most notably South Mountain. But hey, wear em if you got em. No harm in that.

FF Helmets? No real need unless you're a crazy rider.

Not a Barry supporter.
    [Watch out for that Walt guy...he's a menace!

I'm also 5' 8" however I ride a size larger than most my height, but you're welcome to borrow my HT. I have class Monday, Tuesday and Friday but I can ride Wednesday or Thursday. You don't [I]need[I] a HID but it sure makes it nice. I'm fairly new to the valley, I moved here from the PNW but I grew up in Ohio so I know about the humidity and insects, so this will be my first summer here. Realistically, I'm not sure how much riding I'll be doing in the Phx area this summer. Maybe weekend trips to Flagg and other places.

Anyway, give a shout when you have more details.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Realistically, I'm not sure how much riding I'll be doing in the Phx area this summer.
    Waaahh....classic Crash...always complaining or be-itching... He'll be riding all summer just like the rest of us with those 4:30 am wake-up calls...
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Waaahh....classic Crash...always complaining or be-itching... He'll be riding all summer just like the rest of us with those 4:30 am wake-up calls...
    Yea, anytime I get to kick your arse on the trail...I'm there!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Yea, anytime I get to kick your arse on the trail...I'm there!
    That is easy to do, so I suspect you will be riding all the time.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    That is easy to do, so I suspect you will be riding all the time.
    Do you still ride?
    Ride more; post less...

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Do you still ride?
    No, not really.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Hi Everybody,
    Finally got the next tidbit of info:
    My company is having us stay at this place:

Pointe South Mountain Resort
    7777 South Pointe Parkway
    Phoenix, Arizona 85044

So I guess they switched us from Scottsdale to Phoenix.
    On a map, it looks like this place is in walking distance of south mountain park, although the park looks so huge, I don't know where the trailhead is.

Can someone look this up and let me know if I'll still need a car to get to the trails?
    Am I close to a bike rental or to any of you who have bikes to lend?

I still don't have my schedule yet, but I'll post the information as it comes in.
    I know for sure that I can't make it to a Thursday night ride.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Saucy Size
    The main trailhead is about 1 mile away from the Pointe where you're staying. Look for the SoMo map in the "Visitors Read First" sticky at the top of the page.

You're very lucky! This is the best place to stay in town if you're going to be riding at South Mountain.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Hi Everybody,

Phoenix, Arizona 85044

On a map, it looks like this place is in walking distance of south mountain park, although the park looks so huge, I don't know where the trailhead is.

Can someone look this up and let me know if I'll still need a car to get to the trails?

I still don't have my schedule yet, but I'll post the information as it comes in.

Bike rental from Cactus Bike would be within walking distance from the Pointe and the Pima Canyon trailhead is a 5 minte bike ride from the shop.

Map with Cactus, SoMo trailhead (Pima Canyon) and the Pointe

What's that smell?
    Do any of you have some photos of these trails?!
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=147877

AKA shitbird
    Hi Everybody,

Phoenix, Arizona 85044

Oh man, you just hit the MTB jackpot with that location! You can easily ride to the trailhead, no car needed. And in case you haven't heard, National trail is the best you're gonna find, especially if you like technical. If you're not used to night riding I would stick to Desert Classic trail at South Mtn and then Javelina. I haven't been out with them in a super long time but a group does (or used to) meet every (Wed or Thurs?) night and ride desert classic, I'm sure someone here has the details. I know you only plan on being able to ride at night but I'm telling you missing out on riding National would be a HUGE disappointment, I would find some way to set aside a few daytime hours if at all possible.

If anyone else is interested it would be cool to set up a National night ride, It freaks some people out at night but I love it! As for you being an out of towner trailburner I would suggest riding National in the daytime at least once before you consider it at night.

mtbr member
    Hi Everybody,
    I'm in Phoenix!
    I won't have my full schedule until tomorrow afternoon,
    But so far, it looks like I'm available on Monday night after 7:30pm
    and on Tuesday night, but not sure of the time.

Wednesday, it looks like they'll have me busy until 9:00pm, but I'm not sure.

I'm setting something up with Dirtluvraz from these forums and I'm trying to set something up for Monday night (tomorrow night)?
    Please keep in mind, that I can only check this thread sporadically during the day
    b/c I will be in training
    Hopefully, we can get a nice ride going.
    I think I will leave Dirtluvraz in charge from here on out, b/c I know he's got something up his sleeve, but hopefully, more of you can make it out for a ride.

I look forward to riding with you people.
    Thanks!
    -Mark

mtbr member
    Welcome to Arizona!

I am Walt
    Hi Everybody,
    I'm in Phoenix!
    I won't have my full schedule until tomorrow afternoon,
    But so far, it looks like I'm available on Monday night after 7:30pm
    and on Tuesday night, but not sure of the time.

Wednesday, it looks like they'll have me busy until 9:00pm, but I'm not sure.

I'm setting something up with Dirtluvraz from these forums and I'm trying to set something up for Monday night (tomorrow night)?
    Please keep in mind, that I can only check this thread sporadically during the day
    b/c I will be in training
    Hopefully, we can get a nice ride going.
    I think I will leave Dirtluvraz in charge from here on out, b/c I know he's got something up his sleeve, but hopefully, more of you can make it out for a ride.

I look forward to riding with you people.
    Thanks!
    -Mark
    Based on where you said you'd be staying, you'll be riding South Mountain. If you feel like heading up to North Scottsdale, we are considering a ride in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve mid-week at night.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I have no means of transportation, so I believe I have to ride at South Mountain, b/c it's the only place I'm close to.
    My training only starts at 1:00 today, so I'd be up for a ride right now if any of you were available and had an extra bike for a 5'8" fellow.

mtbr member
    Well today has come and gone and no riding.
    Hopefully we can hook up some other night.
    Does anyone else here have a spare bike to lend for a ride?
    If not, I'll have to try a bike rental from one of the suggested places.
    Thanks,
    Mark

I am Walt
    As noted above, rent from Cactus Bike and ask them for directions for a ride. As an entree, just do an out and back on Desert Classic.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Thanks Walt,
    I'm just a little leery of riding alone at night in the desert in unfamiliar territory.

I am Walt
    Understood...I'd hook you up, but I live in N. Scottsdale and it's tough for me to make weeknight rides at SoMo...you should be able to hook up with somebody. I do not recommend anything more that Desert Classic for your first ride here, let alone a night ride. DC will be just fine.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.
    I'll look into it.

mtbr member
    Well, didn't get to bike today, but I called cactus and may rent a bike before I head home.
    I did get a chance to hike into south mountain and hiked around the east loop twice. There were bike tire tracks everywhere. Some of the trail looked like a blast, but some of it looked completely unrideable. I would love to ride with you guys to see how you negotiate those kinds of obstacles.
    Some of those climbs looked completely impossible!

mtbr member
    Ah those are the loops. Much more technical and rocky than Desert Classic. DC is on the South side of the Pima parking lot. It's much longer than the loops and can be a lot of fun when you push yourself.

Slightly OT:

I've been noticing the temps at about 104c @ 8pm lately. After riding on Saturday night (100c), I can safely say I'll be going in the mornings from here on out. It's almost 20c cooler in the mornings.

I am Walt
    I did get a chance to hike into south mountain and hiked around the east loop twice. There were bike tire tracks everywhere. Some of the trail looked like a blast, but some of it looked completely unrideable. I would love to ride with you guys to see how you negotiate those kinds of obstacles.
    Some of those climbs looked completely impossible!
    The East and West Loops are a blast...and all eminently rideable - really not too hard if you're experienced. Those loops get alot of riding, either as part of longer SoMo rides, or on their own. DC is definitely where you want to start. As Jodiuh says, it's easier than those loops and easier to navigate - just go out as far as you feel like, then turn around. A good starter ride might be to ride from the Pima parking lot to the water tanks and back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodiuh
    I've been noticing the temps at about 104c @ 8pm lately. After riding on Saturday night (100c), I can safely say I'll be going in the mornings from here on out. It's almost 20c cooler in the mornings.
    Even though it is hot at night, when the sun is down, it's really not too bad. The key is not having the sun beating down on you.
    Ride more; post less...

Members who have read this thread: 0