mtbr member
    Oct 2008

need help riding towards flag/sedona

going to flag next week with the s/o. she has some work to do up there so we'd like to camp thurs night and ride fri morning before we come back. need some help please.

think desert classic only in the trees. we'll prob be camping in the flag area but are open to riding anywhere up that way that would be nice. getting up early and driving south a bit before we ride is fine, i.e. sedona, munds park (i have no idea if there is any riding there, just using it as an example.)

i think you know exactly what i mean by 'desert classic only in the trees'. i've been reading the trail reviews but some of them are pretty old so i was concerned about some trail's current conditions.

in flag i've marked soldier trail, schultz creek trail and az trail mormon lake. oh, and prom night. it also seems most trails have some areas that are fairly technical. there was one or two that i read about that sounded like just dirt jeep roads that were really boring but that's not what we're looking for. she can do some technical if she has to, just prefers not to . since this is our first trip up i want her to have a good time so she'll want to go back. i'm coming back this summer with a buddy to try some of the tougher trails.

if you're still with me thanks for your time. i'm also open to camping suggestions, primitive is fine. or any hole in the wall, that's clean, mom and pop motel is fine also.

thx for your help and time, jason

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ft Valley trails, camp off Snowbowl Rd? Trails to the E and NW.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Schultz creek sounds like it'd fit the bill. It's more of a trail to the trails for some, but a good 4 mile climb to the sunset parking lot/schultz tank. Most of the trails from the top of schultz creek are more challenging, but it's a fun and easy ride back down the way you came. Or if you want, you can take a left (kind of a u-turn) at the very first junction (~.5 miles in on the way up) and cross Schultz Pass Road to the lower fort valley trails and play around. Good camping in there as well once you pass a certain point on the road (watch for signs). Oh, and no campfires! Common sense, but also the law in that area now as well.

No mames guey
    I think that the Campbell Mesa trail system fits your requirements. You can connect all the loops for a total of 20 miles or so, or you can connect into the AZT and ride out to the edge of Walnut Canyon. It is not technical but still a lot of fun. Campbell Mesa is just off of I-40 at the Country Club exit.

On a side note, campfires were just banned on the entire Coconino NF (not just Dry Lake Hils). So if having a fire defines your camping experience, you may need to set your expectations accordingly.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't think you want to ride Prom Night, it's very steep and nasty.

slower than you
    i would just like to repeat: NO CAMPFIRES!

don't overlook the new-ish nightranger trail that traverses across most of the talus at the base of elden... it's a lovely mellow ride.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler
    i would just like to repeat: NO CAMPFIRES!

don't overlook the new-ish nightranger trail that traverses across most of the talus at the base of elden... it's a lovely mellow ride.
    Been camping up there for over a decade without campfires. They stink up your gear, make your eyes itch, and the risk to our land is just too great. I'm all for a full forest campfire ban!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks for the info guys, just looking at the thread real quick before i head out the door so i can't reply much right now. but don't worry, if fires are banned we will not build a fire.

i'll look over the trails more in a bit, thanks again for everyones time so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks for the info guys, just looking at the thread real quick before i head out the door so i can't reply much right now. but don't worry, if fires are banned we will not build a fire.

i'll look over the trails more in a bit, thanks again for everyones time so far.

edit: oops, and gurls. sorry. again, not to worry, we will not be making any fires, but some of us like the smell of campfire in our sleeping bags and tents.

Members who have read this thread: 0