Need help with Prescott Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Need help with Prescott Trails

Hello all. Im thinking about taking my sister (new at MBTing) up to Prescott tomorrow .
    Ive never rode up there myself so i need everyones help. Im looking for a trail about 8 to 12 miles that isnt going to KILL a beginner. Also if you could help me out with some directions to trail heads or likes to find them it would be appreciated

Thanks
    Jason

Elitest thrill junkie
    Does she have any aerobic ability? There are plenty of beginner trails, but some of them have occasional steep spots. Is that a huge concern? If it is, then something like the peavine trail or iron king trail (rails to trails things) would be best, but if she can do a few ups and downs there are some good options.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yeah she can do ups and downs just nothing outragiously long or steep

Saucy Size
    Hard to beat Lynx Lake for what you're looking for.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey paul can you point me towards directions

p.s. Im leaving from Phoenix area

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Animatorman
    Hey paul can you point me towards directions

p.s. Im leaving from Phoenix area
    1) Head into Prescott.

2) At Walker Road, where the Costco is on the left, turn left.

3) At the first USFS sign on your right, turn right and park. I think this is the Trail 62 parking lot or something. The Lynx Lake trail heads out of here, on the south side of the lot. If the trail goes through a gate and begins climbing and heading toward a mountain, you're on the wrong trail and your sister will hate you, a lot.

The Lynx Lake trail is a very gentle climb for maybe 7 (?) miles and features a very gentle climb. You'll have to cross Walker Road again, once, and then the rest of the trail remains on the east side of the road. There will be a few moments as the trail passes through camping areas where you might lose the trail, but there are always good carsonite signs pointing the way. Enjoy!

For a map go to http://www.sharlot.org/archives/maps/trailmaps/ and get these maps: S1E2, S1E3 and S2E3 regions. You're looking for Trail 305.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

sprocket
    who is "Tony Ellsworth" and why do you care if he can stand over a bike?

Elitest thrill junkie
    The reason I asked about the ups and downs is that trail 305 at Lynx Lake (what paul suggested) does have a few steep up and downhills. It's a good beginner trail in that nothing is too difficult, and there are a couple sections that could be used to help someone get some confidence to grow out of being a beginner, due to how steep a few of the short areas are. Also, the last half mile or so is fairly steep. Otherwise, it's a lot of ups and downs that are not very steep.

A flatter area to ride that still has some ups and downs is Granite Basin, and you can get there by finding Iron Springs Road and taking the Granite Basin Road to the Granite Basin Lake (pond). From there, you can get maps in the campgrounds/day areas, and ride on trail 349, 350, and 351. For the most part these are all very tame trails that do go up and down, but not as steeply as some of the sections on 305, and they are all pretty short as well.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks you guys ROCK

wrecking crew
    I would say Granite Basin or T305 as well. Both places a beginner can learn and not be too overwhelmed. Good stuff!
    ~~~

Members who have read this thread: 0