Need help with grip selection......- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 39 of 39
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748

    Need help with grip selection......

    I just can't seem to find the correct grips for my 29'er SS.
    Need something that can withstand the force and pressure applied while hammering on my SS.

    Everything I have used ends up slipping. I end up breaking the bolt on ones, thus scratching my TI bars. I just can't seem to find a happy medium. I love the Ourys, but they slip to much for my personal taste, yet I am tired of scratching my TI bars by breaking the bolt on ones.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Oh man, that is a dilemma! Maybe we should summons the advice of BobbyLight!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Whyaduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    136
    I picked up a pair of Deity grips from Rage for my SS. Super comfortable, and no slipping, but they're mounted on carbon bars; don't know if Ti slips more than carbon. My only complaint is that Deity don't use the standard locking rings, so if you want to use different end caps you have to modify the grips.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jdub347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    385
    ESI Chunky

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,507
    Quote Originally Posted by jdub347
    ESI Chunky
    These are nice, I have a pair of the black/grey ones laying around, will trade for for a 6 pack of quality beer

  6. #6
    SamuraiBunnyGuy
    Reputation: longhairmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,587
    2 guys with nuns in their avatars in the same thread?

  7. #7
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,518
    I just pickup up a pair of sunlines.

    Pros: Function as advertised. Never had my hands come loose from the handlebar. Installed on my handlebar. Kept my hands from contacting my handlebar directly. Stayed on in corners. Did not rotate. Came in black. Left and right grips interchangeable.

    Cons: I had to buy them. Did not lighten my bike. Did not include heart rate monitor. Have no other apps available except included "grip" app. Weren't used in Avatar. Have no position on Leno or Coco.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    272
    A few wraps of bar tape.

  9. #9
    Just Joshin' ya!
    Reputation: PrincipalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,979
    Supposedly these are better about not slipping. I don't have personal experience with them, but they may be worth a look.

    http://www.kore-usa.com/products/gripster.html
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    I just pickup up a pair of sunlines.

    Pros: Function as advertised. Never had my hands come loose from the handlebar. Installed on my handlebar. Kept my hands from contacting my handlebar directly. Stayed on in corners. Did not rotate. Came in black. Left and right grips interchangeable.

    Cons: I had to buy them. Did not lighten my bike. Did not include heart rate monitor. Have no other apps available except included "grip" app. Weren't used in Avatar. Have no position on Leno or Coco.
    I am using the sunlines. They slip an scratch my moots TI bar.

  11. #11
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,184
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    I am using the sunlines. They slip an scratch my moots TI bar.

    cat-eye cloth tape.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by empty_set
    A few wraps of bar tape.

    Hmmm, do they make MTB bar tape? I thought that stuff was for road bikes.

  13. #13
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,184
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Hmmm, do they make MTB bar tape? I thought that stuff was for road bikes.
    yeah, special bar tapes for specific bikes and terrains.
    ideally, you would have 12 different handlebars and grip combinations for real-world riding.

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    yeah, special bar tapes for specific bikes and terrains.
    ideally, you would have 12 different handlebars and grip combinations for real-world riding.

    That logic is flawed. Why do you have more than one bike?

  15. #15
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Obviously Bamboo is the only answer as it is inherently weaker than Ti.


  16. #16
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Obviously Bamboo is the only answer as it is inherently weaker than Ti.

    are they comparable with a moots ti bar? They don't seem to lock on? Did you not read the whole thread?

  17. #17
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,184
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    That logic is flawed. Why do you have more than one bike?

    for my differing personalities.
    why do you have more than 2 words that you know?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    are they comparable with a moots ti bar? They don't seem to lock on? Did you not read the whole thread?
    I believe Schwinn makes locking grips that come complete with tassels. Have you looked into those?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    Most any standard rubber grip, installed using a nice strong sticky hairspray, and left to dry 24 hours, has worked fine for me.

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I believe Schwinn makes locking grips that come complete with tassels. Have you looked into those?

    What exactly are you trying to say?

  21. #21
    sprocket
    Reputation: yetisurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,184
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    What exactly are you trying to say?
    I read it as if he thinks that you are a pansy.

  22. #22
    sixsixtysix
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    are they comparable with a moots ti bar? They don't seem to lock on? Did you not read the whole thread?

    Comparable with a Moots Ti bar? Well I don't know how you would compare a grip and a bar since they are different things but to answer your question, they are lock ons.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smilinsteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    8,609
    I think he meant compatible, not comparable.

  24. #24
    Fragile - must be Italian
    Reputation: dgangi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,308
    These are on my AM bike and they are rock solid:

    http://www.funnmtb.com/bars/combat%20Grips.html


    I have these on my SS and they are oh-so comfy:

    http://www.serfas.com/product_details.asp?ID=180


    Neither have issues with slippage. The Funn grips are probably more durable...but the Serfas are super comfortable.

    Thx...Doug

  25. #25
    Pwning Trails
    Reputation: phlite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    197
    Oury Lock-on grips

    My buddy recommended me these and I love them : http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...1&category=712

    Great for bigger hands.

  26. #26
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,620
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    I just can't seem to find the correct grips for my 29'er SS.
    Need something that can withstand the force and pressure applied while hammering on my SS.

    Everything I have used ends up slipping. I end up breaking the bolt on ones, thus scratching my TI bars. I just can't seem to find a happy medium. I love the Ourys, but they slip to much for my personal taste, yet I am tired of scratching my TI bars by breaking the bolt on ones.

    Thanks in advance!

    Is your Ti bar a slightly smaller diameter than an Al or Carbon bar ?

    Pick up a set of Oury slipon grips if you don't already have a pair and get some grip glue that is used on Motocross dirt bikes and glue the grips on .

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    8
    ESI Chunky grips are the best. I rode them in La Ruta through mud and rain and they never slipped.

  28. #28
    wawe member
    Reputation: Black Bart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    892
    I know lots of riders who swear by the ESI grips, I prefer the "chunky" size.

    I've been using Dimension cork grips on my Ti bars for years, before using them I figured a cork grip would last a week or so on a mtb, but I've found them to be fairly durable.
    Use some 3M spray adhesive on the bar before slipping on the grips, let it dry, good to go. These are the same grips Jeff Jones offers installed on his bars.

    QBP part# HT1307 (black) or HT1310 (tan/natural)

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azjonboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,673
    ESI chunky. I've used them on my Ti bars the last 3 years with no slippage. Yes, it's a SS 29er.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation: eyescream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    484
    Well, your mom told me last night that she liked the Ergon GC3, but I think thats because of the extra long and severely curved bar end and all of the possibilities it affords for her comfort. Personally, I would look at the Ergon GC2 as it looks to be perfect for SS 29"er applications and still has a bar end if you should feel frisky.

    YMMV

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DJ Giggity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,228
    It is surprising the way the ESI grips stay put. They are the only non-locking grip that I haven't had to wire or glue. I feel funny recommending them as they are kind of goofy.

    Oh, you should also stop twisting your grips. It is not a throttle. Twisting them won't make you go any faster.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chongoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,942
    One of my palms is very hairy. Is there a grip that is compatible with hairy palms?

  33. #33
    Ergon Bike
    Reputation: ERGON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    876
    Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    Personally, I would look at the Ergon GC2 as it looks to be perfect for SS 29"er applications and still has a bar end if you should feel frisky.
    The GC2 is a popular grip among all mtbers. But, it is heavy...our second heaviest grip behind the GC3. I would suggest the GR2 or GX2 if you are looking for a lightweight grip and a barend. They are popular among SSers in the USA and Canada....also used by Niner-Ergon. Another grip growing in popularity amongst the SS riders and racers is the new GA1.

    Jeff K
    Ergon USA

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    428
    I too am a fan of the Ourys. I have the bolt on ones on and the regular ones. On my dirt bikes I put them on with hairspray and then safety wire them between the lugs. They've never spun.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BIGHORN LEW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    835
    I like some of the BMX grips available out there. you can cut off or modify the flange to clear shifters and brakes. Right now i am running Primo grips and they are great.
    go to www.danscomp.com to see a huge selection and get some bar end caps too
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

  36. #36
    banned
    Reputation: JrockFeltaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by eyescream
    Well, your mom told me last night that she liked the Ergon GC3, but I think thats because of the extra long and severely curved bar end and all of the possibilities it affords for her comfort. Personally, I would look at the Ergon GC2 as it looks to be perfect for SS 29"er applications and still has a bar end if you should feel frisky.

    YMMV

    Yetisurly could insult me better. Go back to romper room and continue your emo meltdown Richard Simmons.

  37. #37
    Monocog Masher
    Reputation: Merost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    161
    Grips?? If you are strong enough to strip lock-on grips then you probably don't even need grips. Just apply some bat rosin on your handlebars and go!

    I'm a big guy and apply a lot of force to the handlebars/grips on my SS, as evident by all the flex and creaking that goes on when I'm mashing up a steep hill, but my Ergon's have never moved. I run regular Ergon's on my SS and the Ergons with the magnesium bar ends on my geared full suspension bike.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dry Cownty Brewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    629
    Personally, I think all lock on grips start to fail after a while. I found myself always having slipping problems. I would have to continously tighten the allen bolt down, and the bolt would strip out long before the grip was useless. Yes, I could have tried to find a new bolt, but I just decided to go with these:



    THey are comfy and never slipped on my carbon bars. Spray some alcohol based hair spray on the bars and in the grip prior to installation and allow to dry a few hours. If all else fails and you want to make it a lock on, there's always these.................

    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl
    I too am a fan of the Ourys. I have the bolt on ones on and the regular ones. On my dirt bikes I put them on with hairspray and then safety wire them between the lugs. They've never spun.
    This. My first recommendation would be the Oury lock-ons - they are incredibly comfortable and have a large diameter. I am not sure how you are breaking the lock-on grips unless you are over torquing the clamp bolts, but if you really don't want to try lock ons again I would suggest getting some regular old Oury's, installing them with the cheapest hairspray you can find (aquanet FTW), then wiring them in the middle and on the ends. The grip lugs are deep enough that your will never feel the wires, and the grips will not move until you cut them off.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.