Need advice- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need advice

mtbr member

Need advice

I have a baby boy due in late Oct. I can not afford to buy a new F.S. bike and I use a Giant Yukon hard tail at the moment. My question to you is this...

I am gonna spend less money upgradeing some parts rather than spending 3k plus on a new full suspension. But what type of parts would benefit me the most for rideing SoMo,Usery and McDowell?

Fork :
    Handlebar :
    Rims :
    Brakes (hydraulic) :
    Check out some great MTB gear @ www.evomo.com

Shred...it's the new drug
    I was in your situation exactly 16 months ago. I was riding a H.T., upgraded it, then bought a used Santa Cruz Bullit and that did we well for 8 months, then bought a bigger used frame, built that up. Now that the boy is 15 months, I finally got permission to build up a brand new all mountain squish. (plus I had to save my allowance and mow a bunch of lawn's to afford it) As a new poppa be glad that you get to shred at all once he's born, after a few months of being home steady, momma will want you to get the hell out of the house. Good luck and congrats!

Fork: Rock Shox Pike
    H.B. Diety
    Rims: Transition Revolutions
    Brakes: Juicy's!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    I was in your situation exactly 16 months ago. As a new poppa be glad that you get to shred at all once he's born, after a few months of being home steady, momma will want you to get the hell out of the house. Good luck and congrats!

Fork: Rock Shox Pike
    H.B. Diety
    Rims: Transition Revolutions
    Brakes: Juicy's!
    Not to mention, but you'll have to breast feed aswell . I'm at 3 months with my new one, he's a ball to have along with his 6yo brother.
    SHITBIRD

sandbagger
    got 4 month old, its hard to get out. buy a used bike people are selling very cheap
    V10.5 with Dorado pro and Vivid Air
    TWOSIXBIKES DJ prototype
    Www.twosixbikes.com
    www.facebook.com/twosixbikes

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    I might suggest riding that hard tail into the ground until you get a good handle on how expensive the little one is and how he fits into your life. You may not have a lot of time for a couple of months after he is born (actually you may have the time, you just might want to sleep instead ). Save up for a new bike as a reward for all the work with the little one.
    You may also find that it is pretty darn fun being with him...

I have 4 (4.5, 2.5, 2.5 and 1 year). I only ride when they are sleeping if I can arrange it. I don't wanna miss anything... I am sappy like that. I did buy a used 6" bike the two days before the littlest was born. It was delivered to the house 2 days after he was born. Mommy was not as excited about the new bike as I was. So not that sappy.

Good luck with the little one.

bobo

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'd have to agree with all these guys. Whwn your kid is born you will barely have time to sleep (naps rule!). But, if you are planning on riding South Mountain or alike trails the hardtail is gonna hurt. I'd buy used on Craigslist. You can see before you buy, no shipping charges. I just sold a bike so I know the are going for hella cheap.
    GOD LUCK and CONGRATS!!:

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by AzMtbeR
    I have a baby boy due in late Oct. I can not afford to buy a new F.S. bike and I use a Giant Yukon hard tail at the moment. My question to you is this...

I am gonna spend less money upgradeing some parts rather than spending 3k plus on a new full suspension. But what type of parts would benefit me the most for rideing SoMo,Usery and McDowell?

Fork :
    Handlebar :
    Rims :
    Brakes (hydraulic) :

What size frame do you ride?

Can you post up what the current build spec is?

mtbr member
    It's a Giant Yukon
    Size XL
    Forks Rock Shocks Dart 1
    Stock every thing else.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the soon to be here baby boy! My little one is just shy of 9 months. Hooray for teething and learning how to crawl/walk! No rest for the wicked! I always pick my frames and forks up used. I can usually find em a year or two old for a fraction of the cost new. Even if you have to rebuild a shock or upgrade a spring, it's waaaaaay cheaper. As for rims, I always hand-build the wheels. Mucho Stronger! I like Mavic myself. They just about lace themselves up. For the spokes I prefer DT Alpine spokes. They are 3 different gauges in one spoke. Real fat right at the hub and gets thinner towards the rim. Whatever brakes you end up with, upgrade to 8 inch rotors. You can usually find used hydraulics online. You can try Craigslist as Bullyowner suggested, or try Pinkbike.com. I've bought a few things there. Oh, and try your local friendly neighborhood bikeshop, sometimes people upgrade to newer forks and the bikeshop gets em for a steal. Good luck with the bike and the baby!
    It's only skin, it'll grow back!!

Save the drama for your mama!!!

Porkchop Sandwiches!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I, too, am a big fan of buying used bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am 5'8" and I have been riding a size Large frame 19.5" bike. It was a really nice bike but I had to sell it to get into a Medium frame bike. I did not get any extra pains due to the larger bike but I rode my buddies bike which was smaller and I felt like I had more control Or at least that's my excuse for being a wimp!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    funny my buddy is coming off that same bike, xl Yukon ht. horrid bike. it was his first mtb and did its purpose. i suggest picking up a used full suspension on Craig list. you can get a decent full suspension for what you would spend on upgrading that ht. he is insanely faster even on his first ride on his new used enduro. congratulations on the boy. I say if you can swing a sub or 1k used bike now, do it. You’ll be glad its sitting there when you need to get out of the house. Also after the kids born you will feel guiltier spending the cash.

I have a 2 year old and its amazing watching these little things grow like weeds. me and my squeeze concluded its really not that expensive razing a kid (at least these first 2 years) but what was expensive was daycare. there are such amazing deals to be had on dippers and wipes. ( this one deal there was overage and i got a ps3 game for 20bucks and a cart full to the top of dippers and wipes) check slickdeals.net it will save you lots of money.

mtbr member
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and your advice.

Members who have read this thread: 0