National this morning- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

National this morning

Took my buddy Drew (Grave9) out for his first trip up Mormon Loop and down National this morning. He's a fairly new rider, but is doing a great job. Little fitness work to do, but he's rocking the technical down stuff.

Great trip. Met another nice dude on a newer Enduro along with his wife. Didn't catch a name, though.

Played around on some stuff. Drew's flat pedals saved him a couple time, but he finally ragdolled toward the end of the trail. No damage done, though, and it was a beautiful morning for a ride.

The only negative was the three knuckleheads who couldn't bother to yield coming down Mormon while we were climbing. I'm working my arse off and the lead rider comes over a rise, looks right at me from about 75 feet away then bombs on down forcing me and Drew to stop climbing and pull off. Really, how hard is it to yield to the uphill rider?

Otherwise, awesome day. Rode it on my Monk, but starting to want to build a mid-travel (6-inch or so) 26er. I may need to ponder that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been wanting to try up and down mormon loop. I'm pretty comfortable with going down javelina and what not. I kinda suck at technical uphill. How is it in comparison. I know it is sorta the next logical step in that "progressive list" thread. I started riding in april, so i'm definitely new, but my 6" travel bike inspires some confidence.

Any tips/help would be great.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The only way to get better at technical uphill is to ride technical uphill. If you're comfortable on Javelina, it's the next logical step. Just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Personally, I hate it when an uphill rider doesn't yield for me when I'm going down hill.
    I always yield to downhillers.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    Personally, I hate it when an uphill rider doesn't yield for me when I'm going down hill.
    Poor Tony, are the 30 stitches in your arse starting to itch and be uncomfortable ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Poor Tony, are the 30 stitches in your arse starting to itch and be uncomfortable ?
    Yes, a bit bitter I'm missing out this weekend.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Is this gonna turn into another uphill vs DH thread? It's been done before people!!! There are as many inconsiderate uphillers as there are DHr's. Each situation is unique. Why can't we all live and let live and enjoy the fact that we are all out enjoying our sport, the mountain and the freshish air? It's not like we're on a freeway cutting each other off because we don't want to be late for work. Let it go...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    cramey Just do it. It is not that much more difficult than Javelina.

National was busy this morning. But the weather was great. I thought it was going to be real hummid, but at 630am it was very nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    Is this gonna turn into another uphill vs DH thread? It's been done before people!!! There are as many inconsiderate uphillers as there are DHr's. Each situation is unique. Why can't we all live and let live and enjoy the fact that we are all out enjoying our sport, the mountain and the freshish air? It's not like we're on a freeway cutting each other off because we don't want to be late for work. Let it go...

Not everyone looks at old threads. If the repeated stuff bugs you, you can read other threads instead ya know? Just sayin. Great point though about getting along. I used to get steamed up about some not yielding to me (when I'm going up or down! haha), but you're right, its not worth getting upset over.

mtbr member
    I agree, Bob can be brutal and heartless sometimes.

mtbr member
    I think there is a defined line of when to ride up or down...personally when i ride up or down I give a courtesy shout if I see someone...otherwise go for it...we can't always predict those blind turns. Hiker traffic on South mountain has really had me finding trails elsewhere so now I ride afternoons around 1-2PM when not many people will be outside on South mountain.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Folks: Please chill with the uphill/downhill thing. It's been beaten to death and was not the point of the post. The point was this: Great day, great trail, great ride and a new rider did a nice job riding a tough trail. Cheers.

Oh, and the other point: I'm gonna build a 26er. That was today's most important lesson

haha, it's just so boring to read about this one downhiller who wouldn't stop or this one guy gave me the finger as I rode by. I enjoy ride reports as much as the next guy, but to point out every little instance that someone passes you on the trail either going up or down, full face or not is a little old. How bout some pics or a funny story?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone have a GPS output of this? I would like to check it out, but need to know where I'm headed first.

Check out MTBikeAZ.com for GPS info and maps. Mikes got it all on there!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Bob. I had thought about that afterwards, guess I just missed the breakout when reading through.

"No Clue Crew"
    Great ride this morning. This was a pretty big step up for me, seeing how I'm 2-3 weeks into mountain biking. Did a ton of biking in my teens but no real climbing and downhill. I've spend the most of my offroading in a Jeep

I like this stat from this mornings ride:

New App for my phone and it really helps tracking rides. I like seeing the distance and elevation change. ALLSPORT GPS

Anyway, very fun and I'm happy to have my first really "over the bars" on a trail like National..............Drew

Thats one of the many ways that natty gets you addicted...it teases you a bit then slaps you up side the head making you ask for more!!! Welcome to the club. Hope to see you up there some day. I might be one of those full faced guys charging down the trail. At least I'll holler, "How's it going!" on my way by

"No Clue Crew"
    Thats one of the many ways that natty gets you addicted...it teases you a bit then slaps you up side the head making you ask for more!!! Welcome to the club. Hope to see you up there some day. I might be one of those full faced guys charging down the trail. At least I'll holler, "How's it going!" on my way by

Sounds like a plan! I'll be the guys breathing heavy and asking, "Are we there yet?"

Haha! I used to be that guy, then I figured out how to drive up to the top and ride down real fast. Sure, call me lazy, but it's just more fun I like to pedal up every now and then, but that's just training for me to go faster downhill.

Mike-e
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    I like this stat from this mornings ride:
    Agreed, elevation profiles are awesome! I like this one better though..
    Attached Images Attached Images

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-e
    Agreed, elevation profiles are awesome! I like this one better though..
    Nice. Where is that one from?.........Drew

Mike-e
    Nice. Where is that one from?.........Drew
    That is Telephone trail in Globe.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike-e
    That is Telephone trail in Globe.
    Very cool. Might have to put that on the "To Do List."

lurker extraordinaire
    Haha! I used to be that guy, then I figured out how to drive up to the top and ride down real fast. Sure, call me lazy, but it's just more fun

Lazy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant
    Took my buddy Drew (Grave9) out for his first trip up Mormon Loop and down National this morning. He's a fairly new rider, but is doing a great job. Little fitness work to do, but he's rocking the technical down stuff.

Great trip. Met another nice dude on a newer Enduro along with his wife. Didn't catch a name, though.

Played around on some stuff. Drew's flat pedals saved him a couple time, but he finally ragdolled toward the end of the trail. No damage done, though, and it was a beautiful morning for a ride.

The only negative was the three knuckleheads who couldn't bother to yield coming down Mormon while we were climbing. I'm working my arse off and the lead rider comes over a rise, looks right at me from about 75 feet away then bombs on down forcing me and Drew to stop climbing and pull off. Really, how hard is it to yield to the uphill rider?

Otherwise, awesome day. Rode it on my Monk, but starting to want to build a mid-travel (6-inch or so) 26er. I may need to ponder that.
    Holy mother of Jesus , ---that was me and my oldlady that were on the enduros.
    I guess now we have finally met each other
    Old Drew was having a good time, for a new rider he has it going on , -------I felt bad i forgot about that one last little goofy corner drop on national that Drew stuck his ft wheel in a went OTB --------at least he was not hurt , --it was good to meet you guys out there ,
    hope to ride with you again
    Last edited by kelstr; 09-06-2009 at 07:27 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Well, shite, man. Good to finally meet you. Kelstr is a pretty fast dude.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    Holy mother of Jesus , ---that was me and my oldlady that were on the enduros.
    I guess now we have finally met each other
    Old Drew was having a good time, for a new rider he has it going on , -------I felt bad i forgot about that one last little goofy corner drop on national that Drew stuck his ft wheel in a went OTB --------at least he was not hurt , --it was good to meet you guys out there ,
    hope to ride with you again

Kelstr,

Saw the huge white van at South Mountain, but not you. Blatant and I were out there on National again. Maybe next time we'll meet up.......Drew

mtbr member
    I posted in the wrong National thread, please carry on
    Last edited by Tom93R1; 09-08-2009 at 10:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Kelstr,

Saw the huge white van at South Mountain, but not you. Blatant and I were out there on National again. Maybe next time we'll meet up.......Drew
    Oh man , bumber we missed you guys .
    It was my third day in a row up Natty and boy I was out of power , my freind Tim is young and an animal and about killed me at the pace he set's on the climb.
    We ran into Tiny , Dan and their crew shuttling down ,and my freind Rob road up a second time because we met him comming out as we went up and he was ready again -------and we road with Damian and Tyler ,--acoupple guys going up natty for the first time and they did really well.
    Damian is only a month into Mountainbiking and he ripped it up fine with only one OTB comming down from the saddle .

That natty is addicting , -----we will meet up and ride together soon !!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    Oh man , bumber we missed you guys .
    It was my third day in a row up Natty and boy I was out of power , my freind Tim is young and an animal and about killed me at the pace he set's on the climb.
    We ran into Tiny , Dan and their crew shuttling down ,and my freind Rob road up a second time because we met him comming out as we went up and he was ready again -------and we road with Damian and Tyler ,--acoupple guys going up natty for the first time and they did really well.
    Damian is only a month into Mountainbiking and he ripped it up fine with only one OTB comming down from the saddle .

That natty is addicting , -----we will meet up and ride together soon !!

For sure. Looks like we'll be out there Friday........Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Any of you guys up there Sunday? A group of dudes really helped out when my bud Cody ran out of water and got heat exhaustion. I gave him all my water, and luckily others had some too. Told him up Telegraph, then down National to Pima Canyon entrance was NOT a good first ride-he has new found respect for the Mtn. He is a former dirt jumper and will do well just needs more conditioning. Anyways, a BIG thanks to those of you who really saved the day! How often do BOTH bikes break?? My first derailleur sheared completely off, ouch!!

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    Any of you guys up there Sunday? A group of dudes really helped out when my bud Cody ran out of water and got heat exhaustion. I gave him all my water, and luckily others had some too. Told him up Telegraph, then down National to Pima Canyon entrance was NOT a good first ride-he has new found respect for the Mtn. He is a former dirt jumper and will do well just needs more conditioning. Anyways, a BIG thanks to those of you who really saved the day! How often do BOTH bikes break?? My first derailleur sheared completely off, ouch!!
    Good stuff!!! I wasn't in hat group, but always carry extra H2O just in case!.......Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have often gone thru 3 liters, anyone know if hydration packs with a 4 liter are available????

"No Clue Crew"
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    I have often gone thru 3 liters, anyone know if hydration packs with a 4 liter are available????
    CAMELBAK TRANSFORMER hold 102 Biggest one I've found.........Drew

Members who have read this thread: 0