National - JRA today and @#$%!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

National - JRA today and @#$%!

Socom Michael and I were just riding along up National this morning minding our own business when a standoff developed with this guy at the waterfall. Be VERY careful out there.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFooNZQzPLU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFq_5jN3AY

A Huckin' Hypocrite

Whoa!

That is the biggest one I've seen for sure out there. Good thing you were going up instead of down. That would make me jump right off the side of the waterfall if I was coming down.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

AKA shitbird
    Awesome to see those guys but damn that's a bad spot for one to be!
    JRA

Maui Grown
    What, a standoff? I would have whooped his........ oh, nevermind.

mtbr member
    looks like a black tip. Nice action video! I was doing a hike a bike up holbert a couple months ago and saw one climbing nearly veritical up the rock face. He was at eye level when I saw him.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I think it might be a Mojave rattler. The skin was a yellowish/greenish color. He was VERY big - 4 feet and maybe a little longer. And he was FAT. He probably ate one of those big jack rabbits you see out at SoMo Or.....a biker that came flying down the waterfall without looking first!

He was in a really bad place if you were coming down the waterfall. And he had a stike distance of 2 feet so he could have tagged anyone coming down the traditional rut line on the upstream right. Scary stuff ! Forget climbing technical steeps......I need a 24" bottom bracket to get outside his strike distance

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by superstition
    I think it might be a Mojave rattler. The skin was a yellowish/greenish color. He was VERY big - 4 feet and maybe a little longer. And he was FAT. He probably ate one of those big jack rabbits you see out at SoMo Or.....a biker that came flying down the waterfall without looking first!

He was in a really bad place if you were coming down the waterfall. And he had a stike distance of 2 feet so he could have tagged anyone coming down the traditional rut line on the upstream right. Scary stuff ! Forget climbing technical steeps......I need a 24" bottom bracket to get outside his strike distance
    After watching the video I noticed the other 6 or 7 you did that day. Nice work! I've been working on my confidence to hit some of those lines. Seeing the mini waterfall decent on video makes it look easy, but it's extreme exposure.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Man, you really get an idea of the size as it slithers away. Super, you going to be at Candy this weekend?
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tmarkos
    After watching the video I noticed the other 6 or 7 you did that day. Nice work! I've been working on my confidence to hit some of those lines. Seeing the mini waterfall decent on video makes it look easy, but it's extreme exposure.
    Yep....video really seems to "flaten" out the tech knarl on National. That is a crazy exposed line I'm working on a post that will have most of those videos online. Too much fun to have riding and too little time to post up

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    Man, you really get an idea of the size as it slithers away. Super, you going to be at Candy this weekend?
    Nope....I'm out of town on Sat otherwise I'd be there Rip it up though man. And post up some pics

mtbr member
    Man, that thing is a monster.

I passed y'all on the way down yesterday. I actually turned around at the flat spot right before the waterfall.

This isn't the first snakey spotted on the waterfall. Check out the monster at the end of this vid.

Pivotal figure
    Oh man, I just KNEW this would end up on here as soon as I saw the title Still funny though...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Whoa, that was a huge snake! I haven't seen any yet while riding but this is a good reminder to keep my eyes and ears open.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenbentit
    Oh man, I just KNEW this would end up on here as soon as I saw the title Still funny though...

...sorry Kenny. I had to post it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sam - that was great video of SoMo riding! And the snake at the end was hilarious. I've got to tell ya though....Kenny did not jump half as far as I did with that real rattler. I was pushing my bike up the waterfall and Michael was right behind me. Micahel says...."man, your tire just sprung a leak." I said....nope....that's the guy making all the noise (pointing at the snake). I'm with Kymmster though....If we had been flying down the waterfall the negative reaction would have sent me over the bars for sure. What a way to wake up in the morning! Next time I'm bringing my body guard - Poi Boy - along for the ride

Pivotal figure
    I almost stepped on one while pushing up the section just above there (I know, pushing??). They really like to hang out in that area, probably just to hear us all scream like little girls
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Members who have read this thread: 0