Naked and Afraid. Day one- Mtbr.com
    No known cure

Naked and Afraid. Day one

I just moved to the west valley from the So Cal Mountains. I've been screwing around in White Tanks, specifically Goat Camp and Mesquite trails and I'm all bit up from these little black flies. There were similar flies in the mountains but they didn't bite. Is there a repellant everyone uses?
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

dirt visionary
    I am not sure but gonna try normal bug spray next time out. I was out on friday and my ears gotten eaten up pretty bad. The first time I can remember dealing with them.. it sucked bad as my ears were still on fire yesterday morning.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just use Off Deep Woods unscented and works well. Keep a can in my truck. Went for a night ride last week, forgot to apply and legs got chewed up.

BTW, welcome to the valley! You came at the start of prime riding season although all this rain is a bit unusual and contributing to the bug problem. Not sure what kind of trails you like but lots of stuff around.

Meatbomb
    Listerine Mouth wash and a little Rubbing Alcohol works great.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmanxj View Post
    I just use Off Deep Woods unscented and works well. Keep a can in my truck. Went for a night ride last week, forgot to apply and legs got chewed up.

BTW, welcome to the valley! You came at the start of prime riding season although all this rain is a bit unusual and contributing to the bug problem. Not sure what kind of trails you like but lots of stuff around.
    Thanks. I like all trails, but I love the punchy ledgy stuff so far at White Tanks although it's already eating tires, shoes and body parts.

mtbr member
    Wow Vader....did you leave for a new job? Get tired of the mountains? Maybe you're the type that wants to experience different regions? Good luck next Summer....that's going to be a long drive back to Skypark or Cannell Plunge for you!!
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Our family uses a product my wife picked up for our son who seems to attract every mosquito in town. Seems to help with the black flies too that sometimes hover around the campsite. It's by Skin-so-soft and it's a blue liquid. Smells great, softens like a nice lotion, and it's got a good SPF rating too (30 I think). It smears on blue and then goes clear at it soaks into your skin - great for making sure you get the kiddos coated in the stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Vader.
    Look up "lost creek bike club " on fb. Wednesday night rides and wkend too.
    Estrella Cyclists on fb also.
    Fins and pirates trsils at Estrella rock also.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Wow Vader....did you leave for a new job? Get tired of the mountains? Maybe you're the type that wants to experience different regions? Good luck next Summer....that's going to be a long drive back to Skypark or Cannell Plunge for you!!
    Kids are out of the house, and I needed a change of scenery. My mom lives by Skypark so I'll be back often, and my family has been camping on the Kern since the 40s and we head up there at least once a year. I was up in August but that was all about drinking beer and cooking meat.

ETA I'll be at Keyesville this spring along with the Whisky Off Road in Prescott.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by #mtnbykr View Post
    Vader.
    Look up "lost creek bike club " on fb. Wednesday night rides and wkend too.
    Estrella Cyclists on fb also.
    Fins and pirates trsils at Estrella rock also.
    Joined. Thanks.