Got a suspension fork

My first Whiskey, the full story.

My first ever MTB race, and it was a lot of fun, Epic Ride’s Whiskey Off Road 25, 2011

Basics Whiskey Info:
    This was a really top notch event on a very fun and at times challenging course. My stats for the ‘25’ is 28.21 miles and 3,680’ of corrected climb. From a macro view the ride consists of two major climbs, each followed by a major descent. The course overview and elevation profile, my GPS file.

Here are a few pictures are here.

Several months ago:
    I decided that I wanted to try the Whiskey and it was after AZSF so I’d have some good rides in by the time it rolls around. Some may find it ironic that I decide to step it up and do longer rides after switching from a 29er full suspension bike to a fully rigid 29er ss, but it makes complete sense to me.

Before Whiskey:
    Rode less days a week but much longer and further with more climbs.

Prescott, Friday April 15, 2011:
    Got from Phoenix to Prescott for a pre-ride of the course starting at 6:15AM. Enjoyed it, dang the climbing was tough. Pleasantly surprised, expected to complete the ride in 4 hours and did it in 3h32m.

Prescott, Friday April 29, 2011:
    Our family came up for the race, pulled into town and WOW there were mountain bikes and bikers everywhere. Very cool! Picked up the race packet and soaked up the fun. My wife and kids even enjoyed it.

Pre-Race Meeting:
    Ran into kdimon, WhiskersOfDeath, Heather, nice to see familiar faces. When the pre-race meeting was over I decided to forgo a late night of fun and beer for a good night of sleep. That may have been more enticing 20 years ago, not now.

Race Morning Saturday April 30, 2011:
    Ran into kdimon and his buddy Dan en route to the start. HOLY COW look at all the people lined up for the 25. Man that is a big group of mountain bikers starting line. I had no idea where to slot in so I just went for mid-pack. I spotted Tacobeer and AZBob a few spots over, chatted with them and the people around me and was ready for the fun.

Climb 1:
    It was almost 2 minutes after the gun went off that I crossed the line, it was crowded and slow getting through the starting area. I had decided to not try and kill it on the first climb up the streets even though people familiar with the race had warned me that there can be a big backup where the course funnels onto the single track. Thought it would be best to just go my normal climbing pace up the hill and not risk blowing up.

Ended up passing a lot of people on the road section of the first climb, I kept checking my heart rate and things were looking good so I kept going. Damn I’m fast! LOL – I am definitely not one of the fast guys, but it was a great feeling passing by so many riders on this big climb. Of course there were many people in front of me still.

By the top of Copper Basin Road I somehow came upon TacoBeer, we saw Coyote Kiss waiting on the side of the road – how she looked that fresh after such a climb is beyond me.

I was very happy that I had passed a lot of people on the pavement because my wait in that long conga line of people transitioning from forest service road to single track wasn’t bad at all. The single track was a welcomed change from the pavement. For the most part we all rode in our positions for a while. There was a short section , maybe trail 54, that was double track and I was able to pass about 4 guys on that section.

Soon the climb with the waterbars came. I’m far from the best technical rider out there, but I think they are pretty easy even on my rigid ss – I was shocked at how many people walked them. I was able to pass several more people on this section, and I also was passed by a few faster guys.

Finally we were at the top of Climb1. Normally I ride a 21t cog but put on a 20t for this race. I was amazed to see that my time up this climb was within seconds of my pre-ride time.

Descent1:
    The efforts to complete Climb1 were rewarded with a several mile descent. I assumed that I would be passed liked a parked car on this section since I can’t descend as fast riding rigid as with suspension. To my amazement only 2 guys passed me on the descent. The first guy was in lime green and was freaking flying! I heard him coming and moved over, he yelled thanks and before I knew it he was out of sight. Then there is a short technical section in the descent and things backed up a bit, this is where another guy passed me. I was able to clean that section without much trouble in my pre-ride, but with people backed up I walked the final drop but the guy behind me rode it and flew by. Fantastic! Happy that I was able to hold my own on this descent.

Climb2:
    This climb is forest service roads, and it gets steeper at the top. I had trouble with my heart rate going to high trying to make this climb with a bigger cog than I normally ride. Ended up walking far more of it than I had on the pre-ride - but I didn't lose much time at all to the geared riders around me.

I was happy to see the lookout and aid station up at the top of that climb! The volunteers were great, and people were offering both shots of Whiskey and small beers! Holy cow what an awesome gesture but it just didn’t sound good to me at the time. I opted instead for a drink of Heed – OMG that stuff is freaking nasty! I should have had the beer instead. ☺

At this point in the race I knew that the bulk of the climbing was over, and I felt pretty good. Just wish I had the 21t on for this section so I would have been able to ride more of it.

Descent2:
    The single track through the forest was a great section and really fun. There were some fast geared riders who blew by me on some of these sections. I found that when the trail / road was really rough I was actually able to catch up to the suspension riders, but it was the really fast moderately bumpy sections where some of the guys blew me away.

At the end of the single track descending through the forest and several shallow stream crossings we hit the pavement for the final couple of miles back to the Court House. I had thought that running SS would be a big drawback since I can’t gear up and motor down this section, but I think there was only 1 or maybe 2 geared guys who passed me on this section.

When I turned the corner to head to the start finish line I heard my wife and kids cheering me on which was a great ending to a terrific ride experience.

I was able to knock off several minutes off my pre-ride on this section – familiarity paid off here.

After The Race:
    There were so many great people that you run into at this event, it was a real stoke, a ton of fun. My final total time was 3h23m32s (my official time is a little longer because they don’t time you as you cross the starting line but it’s a singular start time and it takes a while to get up to the line with so many people.) Somehow I managed to have only one minutes and thirty seconds of total non moving time. While I appreciate the great people who manned the aid stations, I kept chugging along at them. ☺

My wife tells me that my kids were playing soccer and baseball on the grass until it was announced that the first riders were coming in from the 50 around 11AM, my son was anxiously awaiting my arrival. He just knew that I’d be up in the front of the pack. Haha, I tried to tell him that while I was going to go as fast as I could – that there were a lot of other riders who were much faster than I was. He would having nothing of that ridiculous line of thinking and he stood there on the barrier fence for two hours watching everybody cross the line waiting for me! That’s pretty impressive for a 6 year old boy.

I am simply amazed at how fast the top amateur riders finished the 25 and the 50, very impressive! I think that I put in a very respectable time for my first event on a rigid ss, riding a distance that is not far from the longest mtb ride I have ever done.

Ultimately I know that I would have walked much less of that second major climb with my 21t cog instead of 20t, but I’m really not so sure that my overall time would have been any faster. There are benefits and drawbacks to each gear for me.

By the way, my tubeless rear tire was saved from a flat by Caffelatex. I did lose a few psi in the tire, but it saved me from flatting. Thank you.

The Future:
    I now look forward to Prescott next April, just need to figure out if I’ll repeat the Whiskey 25, step up to the Whiskey 50, or step up more to the Prescott Monster Cross with the Arizona Endurance Series. I’m sure it’ll be fun regardless of which one I choose.

ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Good read Randy. Do the 50 next year.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

WNC Native
    Cool, sounds like you had a blast!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Fragile - must be Italian
    Nice write-up Randy. Definitely shoot for the 50 next year. It's worth it just to say you survived the 12-mile climb out of Skull Vallely. And on an SS...well that's saying something.

Thx...Doug

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Great read! What a fun time, You should give the 50 a shot next year. If only to say that you completed it...on a SS rigid no less!

Threadkiller
    Good job dude! Thanks for sharing.
    Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks indeed Randy! I will not miss this one next year!

Bloodied but Unbowed
    Great read. Sounds like you had some fun. I will enjoy these vicariously through such reads since I doubt I will ever be conditioned well enough to handle one of these events gracefully.

mtbr member
    Good story, sound like a lot of fun!

mtbr member
    Not sure why you thought a lot of suspended bikes would pass you on the descents, you're pretty darn quick down those even on a rigid...
    I'm super, thanks for asking...

My other ride is your mom
    Fun read, thanks! Good story on your 6-year old....I bet he thought you still won.

Got a suspension fork
    MarathonFoto proofs. woohoo.

mtbr member
    Just tell friends and family that "proof" is proof that you actually did the race.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Scott in Tucson
    Nice report and ride. Keep going a little longer and you'll be ready for 50 or the PMC, or, both!
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Let'er Buck
    Good seeing you out there Randy I cant believe after all that we came in less than a minute from each other. I however opted for two beers at the top and think I may work this in to my regular riding practice.
    "Powder River, Let 'er Buck"

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    MarathonFoto proofs. woohoo.

No Pic Didn't Happen ? I am now convinced ! Congratulations you've got me enthused to give it a go next year as well!
    Last edited by Javelina; 05-04-2011 at 08:42 PM.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Krein
    Nice report and ride. Keep going a little longer and you'll be ready for 50 or the PMC, or, both!
    Seriously thinking about that exact plan next year! And a little Sedona AES action too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    Seriously thinking
    don't think about an AES event, just do it and succeed, or crash and burn like me.
    b

Roni1az
    Dec 2004
    Nice job Randy! Loved the bunny hop at the finish! "You got like three feet of air"

Members who have read this thread: 0