My first trip....- Mtbr.com
    Newbie...yeah that's it

My first trip....

over the handle bars this morning and let me tell you it sucked. Too much brake is a bad thing. I also got my first taste of cactus in the hand, yeah Im still digging some out, those little barbs get stuck good! I fell alot today and it kinda sucked, Im still learning\getting used to the clipless shoes and pedals. I would have to say today Casa Grande Mountain got the best of me, but I will be back to take her on next weekend.......

igoslo
    Trust me when I tell you that OTB gets easier over time. I am speaking from experience of course. About 80% of the time I get out of my pedals cleanly and land on my feet, the other 20% I hit my side and roll. Then there was that one time that I augured into the street sign. Ok, so it doesn't really get easier, just a bit more commonplace.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Great story Solo, love the photos of that fall.

On the other hand, I think I bruised a rib on my fall, boy is it tender in that area. I unfortunatly didn't unclip from the bike on my fall so the bike landed on me while my legs contorted into some kinda yoga move with the bike. I'm sore all over right now but looking back on it, if there was anyone there they woulda laughed their asses off! My first fall of the day was the one that sucked the worse though, it was a kinda steep technical climb and I lost all my speed and didn't unclip fast enough and landed on a huge pile of sharp pointy rocks. I think after today I'm gonna ask Santa for some knee/shin and elbow pads until I get used to being clipped to the bike.

meow
    Those are the kind of frequent flier miles you don't want to rack up. Solo Rider's right, once you get the first one out of the way and figure out what went wrong, at least you'll know when the next one's coming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sun God:

Yes, the ribs take a beating. "Proper" technique according to Ned Overend's book is to put your hands out (elbows flexed) to absorb a portion of the initial impact and use them to roll. Unfortunately, this is sometimes interpreted as "land with your arms extended" which is sure to break an arm or collar bone.

I find the hand technique works well. You avoid having the full impact hit your shoulder or ribcage. I've found that the rib injuries take the longest to fully heal and nag for months.

Of course, there is only so much you can do when you land in rocks. It makes a huge difference when you endo onto boulders vs. dirt.

I've never been able to pull off the land-on-your-feet deal.

Have you loosened the tension on your pedals all of the way? If you are falling over because you can't get out, loosen them all the way and see how that goes. If you start popping out, just tighten them up a bit. Popping out sure beats falling over!

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatmiser
    Sun God:

Yes, the ribs take a beating. "Proper" technique according to Ned Overend's book is to put your hands out (elbows flexed) to absorb a portion of the initial impact and use them to roll. Unfortunately, this is sometimes interpreted as "land with your arms extended" which is sure to break an arm or collar bone.

I find the hand technique works well. You avoid having the full impact hit your shoulder or ribcage. I've found that the rib injuries take the longest to fully heal and nag for months.

Of course, there is only so much you can do when you land in rocks. It makes a huge difference when you endo onto boulders vs. dirt.

I've never been able to pull off the land-on-your-feet deal.

Have you loosened the tension on your pedals all of the way? If you are falling over because you can't get out, loosen them all the way and see how that goes. If you start popping out, just tighten them up a bit. Popping out sure beats falling over!
    I have Time ATAC's I cannot adjust the tension. They are by no means hard to get out of when you want to, it's just remembering to get out of them before an "oh sh!t" moment,you know where you mind goes blank and you hit the ground? It's getting better this is only my 2nd or 3rd week with the shoes and pedals.

Members who have read this thread: 0