Munds wagon road. Tougher than expected.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Munds wagon road. Tougher than expected.

I wanted to get in a little bit of easy climbing in preparation for the Tour of the White Mountains so I headed up to Sedona with the family.

They decided to hike while I rode, instead of the usually shopping venture, so we parked at the bottom of the Little Horse Trail and I rode up Little Horse to Chicken Point, then Broken Arrow to the highway, up to Mund's wagon road for what I thought would be a nice easy aerobic spin. After all, Cosmic Ray says in his book that Mund's is a one-hour middle ring climb.

Anyways, what I found was a fairly technical ride with lots of loose gravel and ended up riding halfway up, pushing the bike up to the Schnebly hill road and just riding back down the road to join my wife and daughter ice cream in Sedona.

How many of you Arizona mountain bikers actually enjoy riding Mund's wagon road? I've pretty much put this on the list as my least favorite trail.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

mtbr member
    A bunch of us (about 10) just rode down munds today on are way over to dry creek road. I think going up munds would sux with all the loose rocks. later.
    SHITBIRD

just 1 more
    I live in Cottonwood and ride Sedona when I can. I've never ridden Munds but thought either it's a shuttle up/ride down OR ride up Schnebly Hill road and down Munds. Must be the reason.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave
    I wanted to get in a little bit of easy climbing in preparation for the Tour of the White Mountains so I headed up to Sedona with the family.

They decided to hike while I rode, instead of the usually shopping venture, so we parked at the bottom of the Little Horse Trail and I rode up Little Horse to Chicken Point, then Broken Arrow to the highway, up to Mund's wagon road for what I thought would be a nice easy aerobic spin. After all, Cosmic Ray says in his book that Mund's is a one-hour middle ring climb.

Anyways, what I found was a fairly technical ride with lots of loose gravel and ended up riding halfway up, pushing the bike up to the Schnebly hill road and just riding back down the road to join my wife and daughter ice cream in Sedona.

How many of you Arizona mountain bikers actually enjoy riding Mund's wagon road? I've pretty much put this on the list as my least favorite trail.
    i did it in the downhill direction on a ride from flagstaff to sedona in May.
    we got off schnebly hill rd. at the start of mund's and had a blast ending a 45 mile ride coming down it.
    i would never choose to ride up it however.

you named your daughter ice cream?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave

Well, it is a middle chainring affair, but it sure didn't take an hour, quite a bit less. There's a bit in the lower part that can be difficult, a few switchbacks and steep sections, but most of it is doable. No big problems.

As far as trails...it's the one trail that actually climbs a decent amount, so that's got to mean something. Definitely not like other sedona trails in that respect, although it's not that long by itself. Too bad there isn't really more to it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I only climb it to close a loop with Damifino. I doubt Ray could climb it in his middle chain ring; maybe he was referring to Schnebly Hill Rd? It's just a slow-going climb because of short technical ups and a little bit of hiking. Up to the cowpies it climbs about 600 feet in a little less than 3 miles but that takes me an hour. In fact, Damifino and Munds Wagon has to one of the longest (ie., slowest) 10 mile rides anywhere (3 hours).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    I only climb it to close a loop with Damifino. I doubt Ray could climb it in his middle chain ring; maybe he was referring to Schnebly Hill Rd? It's just a slow-going climb because of short technical ups and a little bit of hiking. Up to the cowpies it climbs about 600 feet in a little less than 3 miles but that takes me an hour. In fact, Damifino and Munds Wagon has to one of the longest (ie., slowest) 10 mile rides anywhere (3 hours).
    My mistake. Cosmic Ray's book says that it's mostly a small-ring climb. I read wagon road and was thinking long steady grade. I only went up a few miles to where the trail crosses the road. We'll be staying at the RV park off of Schnebly over thanksgiving so I'll get another chance at this.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Well, it is a middle chainring affair, but it sure didn't take an hour, quite a bit less. There's a bit in the lower part that can be difficult, a few switchbacks and steep sections, but most of it is doable. No big problems.

As far as trails...it's the one trail that actually climbs a decent amount, so that's got to mean something. Definitely not like other sedona trails in that respect, although it's not that long by itself. Too bad there isn't really more to it.

Ahh...spoken like a climber Used to love climbing. Still love the thought of it. Now I have to go ride up Munds and see how bad I suck.
    bikes, guns, dogs....perfect

Members who have read this thread: 0