MTBR AZ not what it used to be....- Mtbr.com
    Ahhh the pain....

MTBR AZ not what it used to be....

Pretty sad actually...what used to be a fun place to exchange info and such is now just a sarcastic soup of $hit. Even on threads that people post with very honest and information seeking intentions, 50% of the responses are nonsense.
    I was curious to see if other regional forums were as bad and they were not. Congrats AZ, we've hit rock bottom.

Meatbomb
    Cheers... Do you Vape Bro?

mtbr member
    Bring back Traildoc. He was the most interesting part of the AZ forum. Used to come over here just to see what he was up to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Pretty sad actually...what used to be a fun place to exchange info and such is now just a sarcastic soup of $hit. Even on threads that people post with very honest and information seeking intentions, 50% of the responses are nonsense.
    I was curious to see if other regional forums were as bad and they were not. Congrats AZ, we've hit rock bottom.
    100 percent accurate. I think that fact that this is actually somebodies place of business get lost on people as well. I believe for every active poster, there are literally 100's of folks who just read. That describes myself normally.

And Ray, I disagree this is rock bottom. It can get worse.
    Drinkin the S-Works Kool-aid

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    A lot of the usual chatter, ride reports, minor controversies started moving over to FB groups several years ago. I too miss the liveliness of this forum. I learned a ton here when I first became afflicted and/or somewhat obsessed with mountain biking in about 2010.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm very interesting and sure to ruffle feathers lol

Just looking to get another bike currently.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think it's ridiculous that a "what tire thread" stays bumped at the top for weeks at a time when there are photo threads and such.

Are mountain bikers this f#$king boring? Really?

Maybe my time on here has run it's course and I am officially the grumpy old guy.

Honestly I have been feeling like I'm in need of a new sport. I often find myself mid-ride wondering what it was I used to love about it anyways. It's not as exciting as it used to be. Not even close. My adrenalin barely gets up to a pleasurable level any longer. It's like I'm daydreaming while descending. Zzzzzzz

I do agree that some of it has gone overboard tho.

mtbr member
    I don't think this thread is all that bad. In the last year I've learned what HAB, Enduro, PMP, beerduro, strava, and kom mean! Not to mention the countless places to ride in the valley. Maybe frustration levels coincide with level of mtb experience...? I lack both but that's OK. Lastly, as I've mentioned before, i just skip the threads i don't like and move on. Much more serious $hit out there than this to stress about.
    Peace
    Luke, this is your father's lightsaber. I cut him in 1/2 to get it.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post

Honestly I have been feeling like I'm in need of a new sport. I often find myself mid-ride wondering what it was I used to love about it anyways. It's not as exciting as it used to be. Not even close. My adrenalin barely gets up to a pleasurable level any longer. It's like I'm daydreaming while descending. Zzzzzzz

Let me introduce you to the dark side
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MTBR AZ not what it used to be....-sit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Let me introduce you to the dark side
    Once I'm done with school I'm so in!

My other ride is your mom
    Ray, if you're just now noticing this....I'm sad to say....it started a few years ago from my POV. And if you talk to PaulB....it started well before that.

Some of it is the Individual who comes into the sport....everything new, exciting. As that information becomes known, and boring...value in the readers eye goes down....and so does the engagement by the individual. I had a conversation with PaulB about this cycle over coffee one day. So it may not just be the thread....but you.

As to external factors....the expansion in social media outlets for the individual has diluted the quality and frequency of the info the individual finds interesting.

So...in summary....look in the mirror if you find this forum crap....but also know you as an individual are not to blame entirely....you and everyone else have other things, and sometimes better, to do.

Speaking for myself....I don't come to this forum for info any more. Any specific info on something new like the 50-tooth cassette that wolf tooth now has.....I go to the appropriate forum.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I can't believe it's that hot already.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I can't believe it's that hot already.
    Damn straight. It's been so hot lately that I'm about to shut down all riding for the "summer" as I do every year when it warms up.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Got a suspension fork
    FB took a bunch of people for sure, and then there is people being d*cks here which messes everything up.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    yep it does kinda suck, we've got tons of great trails and epic routes to discuss and all there is is blather.
    Any good group rides in Flag over the summer?
    Anybody want to plan a bike packing trip in the Mogollon rim area later this spring?
    Anybody got input on a great gravel loop from Flag to Sedona and back?
    Who wants to put on a gravel gran fondo around the Peaks?
    What is the fastest known time from the Colorado River to the top of Humphreys under ones own power?

Should I start a new thread with each of these topics so that all the shitty tire threads get bumped out?

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Nah. 50% of the responses have always been nonsensical sarcastic bowls of sh!t. Yes, from the start of the website and the AZ forum. The degradation of the forum concept is the same faulty logic used by the degradation of society folk. It was "better back then" and "I used to walk to school naked and afraid." Yadda, yadda, yadda. The only important difference between then and now is it rocked back then because I was there. Yep, it's all about me. Well, I'm back now, so buckle up and get ready for a good time.

PS: See you in three years. This forum is boring as hell.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    I am happiest on my bike. This forum won't change that.

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    one time we made a raft out of dead monkeys

Answers (or vectors) in italics to your questions below:

Quote Originally Posted by jmctav23 View Post
    yep it does kinda suck, we've got tons of great trails and epic routes to discuss and all there is is blather.
    Any good group rides in Flag over the summer?
    -->Post them up if you plan something...there are always groups camping out on Schultz pass looking for pedal or shuttle fun...although this summer may be dampened by the thinning projects.
    Anybody want to plan a bike packing trip in the Mogollon rim area later this spring?
    -->See above, check out bikepacking.com and the forums
    Anybody got input on a great gravel loop from Flag to Sedona and back?
    --Check out a combo of the AZ Endurance series routes for the Dirty Century and the Coco250....it's what you are looking for.
    Who wants to put on a gravel gran fondo around the Peaks?
    -->Suggest you look at the Crazy88 route...but if you want to keep it "gravel", deviate from the route when turning south onto the AZT from FR 418 and take FR151 south instead.
    What is the fastest known time from the Colorado River to the top of Humphreys under ones own power?
    -->It's called Hump to Hole....a friend of mine used to put this on every spring....record is somewhere in the 20hr time range. Search the dark corners of the interwebs/facebooks and you might find an invite

Should I start a new thread with each of these topics so that all the shitty tire threads get bumped out?

mtbr member
    I don't do facebook. I just post here. I am getting tired of useless threads. Sure real "what tire" threads come up by people with real questions. Search sometimes works, but tires are changing every year and new things are learned. The next round of "what tire" threads are probably around plus tires. Chubbies as I call them. Fair enough in my book as these tires are new.

We need more ride posts and ride reports. That said I am very bad with ride reports. I don't write up much, but maybe I should start.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Through the years I have been active in quite a few message boards. A lot on moto. They have all dried up. Most are now dead. The one's still around are quiet. I think FB was part of it. This forum still has good traffic, but yes trolling is a little excessive. rather that then Quiet though.

A huge problem is group rides and ride reports are too rare. I challenge you all to post up an open ride invite in the next 3 months and do ride report with some pics. That will do more than complaining about the board.

mtbr member
    Ok will do sugar..
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member

Everything can be fixed..

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I don't do facebook. I just post here.
    +1; I don't do Facebook. I agree this place has always been too arrogant, too snarky, too sarcastic, and too disrespectful to hang out for more than five days.

My suggestion? Even if you see a thread or post that is absolutely the dumbest thing you've ever read on the Internet, either try to Ignore it, or maybe just politely explain why it's not so or why it's so. Everybody's a newbie sometime. This might reign in some of the silliness.

(Sarcasm + the internet) = not good. I don't think it needs to get so serious that we can't kid around here and there, just not EVERY thread, and almost EVERY post. My .02

parenting for gnarness
    TD had it right, trolling is fun!

MTBR AZ - come for the tires, stay for the butthurt.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

MEGALOMANIAC
    Yes, agreed that this forum page has become somewhat of a circus. I myself am a bit of a smartass and that is because I am burned out. I think that's what has happened to a lot of folks, sadly. You can only ask the same questions over and over so many times before somebody steps up and blows their top.

I have learned a ton here and I do appreciate everyone's input and answers to the questions I have asked.

Seems like the craziness that goes on in Off Camber has spilled over into other areas of the Forum pages, like here.

I hate to say it but in my eyes, the world is going to shit faster and faster. I think everyone can see it and I think everyone is sick of it.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

slower than you

(and now this)

i've been lurking around these forums since 2003. i'm one of the first couple hundred people to register on mtbr, in fact.

MTBR AZ not what it used to be....-197.jpg

i can say from experience, this AZ forum has always been snarky... and entertaining... and even, on occasion, informative. i hope it never changes.

i'm proud to have been a part of it, albeit a small one, since forever ago.

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled vitriolic argument about tire durometer ratings)
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

Always in the wrong gear
    I think it's ridiculous that a "what tire thread" stays bumped at the top for weeks at a time when there are photo threads and such.

Are mountain bikers this f#$king boring? Really?
    I sort of think of it as a testament to the varied terrain we enjoy here. I wish there was a maintained sticky so there was an actual place to record the perennial favorites (DHF/DHR/Minions for SoMo, Saguaro's are awesome for Brown's, etc.) There's even an (apparent) distinction between geared and SS that presents itself more dramatically here than in other parts of the country. I have tire questions all the time.

Maybe my time on here has run it's course and I am officially the grumpy old guy.

Take a break. dabble in another activity.
    I felt this way through most of the winter. I didn't ride at all on dirt. I ran a shit-load. lots of trails that I used to ride. I rode my road bike a bunch, including some charity rides and a century ride or two.
    Then I got the itch back and bought a SS. Now MTB is all I wanna do again. I've even ridden my FS bike more since buying the new one. but I was off the bike long enough for my Stans to dry up.

livin' the dream......
    This is pretty timely from my perspective........I used to check this thread daily, if not a few times per day. Now, it is every few weeks. I do enjoy the snarky comments, and have learned some things and made a few friends along the way. All good.

For me, my head is just in a different place. I like riding and enjoy it when I go, but am not fired up about it like I used to be. My sweet spot seems to be a mix of trail running and mtb. It has become more about being out there, vs. what I am doing when I am out there.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

Tucson, AZ
    I stop by once every 3 years now. Even my signature is old.

@chadfbrown.....do you even ride anymore bro?

mtbr member
    Spring Fling was the heyday.

Spring Fling coincided with me starting to ride and stretch my legs on different terrain....then I got unemployed and things REALLY took off! Very thankful for the work Chad and others did to put on Spring Fling. We also used to have random rides called out on this forum such as the "Bring something interesting" ride, or "Tequila Tree" hunt, or the "Tin Foil Hat" rides.

Speaking of Tequila....I've yet to plant a tree in my new local area......I'm guessing that project will happen sometime soon.

mtbr member
    It's part of every forum whether it's about mountain biking or car forums. Same pattern, but a different day. I've tried to provide some realistic and pertinent information on my own journal so that others like myself can reference instead of making multiple threads of the same subject.

I agree with all of you.
    26 ain't dead....

mtbr member
    As an Alaskan (soon to be Arizonan) looking in, I find a lot of useful information here about the AZ riding scene. This forum has allowed me to put together a bucket list of must-do rides, and the photo heavy stoke threads (not enough of these guys!) have helped me get through more than a few long, Alaskan winters. I can't wait to retire the fatbike, pick up a new FS trail bike and a bikepacking rig and set about tackling some epic AZ terrain before I get too old. I've had quite enough long, slow slogs through nasty weather and fifty shades of white, thank you very much.

I mostly try to ignore the sniveling, sarcastic, sniping of idiots like Mrwhlr, who apparently never saw a campfire he didn't want to piss on. Don't know quite what to make of the truly bizarre mind farts of characters like Slippin' Jimmy. And I miss TD's passion, but not his Asbergian dunderheadedness.

I'll continue checking in for the good stuff.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post

I mostly try to ignore the sniveling, sarcastic, sniping of idiots like Mrwhlr, who apparently never saw a campfire he didn't want to piss on.
    Fire are what keep our Staffricans off the trails months each year.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Once I'm done with school I'm so in!
    Ya think mnt biking is expensive, $5,000 for a skydiving rig then $25 for each jump (about 3 minutes of total fun)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by chadfbrown View Post
    I stop by once every 3 years now. Even my signature is old.
    I think this is the reason mtbr az isn't what it used to be - not enough folks (like chad, paul b, dirtgirl, etal) on here who share their mtb passion anymore. Spring fling was surely fun

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by In2falling View Post
    Ya think mnt biking is expensive, $5,000 for a skydiving rig then $25 for each jump (about 3 minutes of total fun)
    I bought my first Rig used. Vector with a used but fresh main canopy and a still in date Cypress. I had to buy a new reserve but it has gone with me in all the rigs I've upgraded too. You can get in cheap but the addiction will cost you

mtbr member
    Hey Chad are coming up to the Monster X

mtbr member
    About time someone mentioned the Spring Fling. Those where good times. At least you could meet people and put a face to a name. That way you know who your being
    a d!ck to. Hope to see some of you guys up in P-town.

mtbr member
    I've been around MTBR since the 90's. Nothing has changed. It's like classes of the show real word, they constantly change and think they're special and then they drift away and get replaced. Snarky, smartass, funny , mean whatever, It's always been a part of it and when it isn't anymore I wont be here either.

Meatbomb
    Sprouts has NY Strip on sale....I like mine rare.

Ouch, I am hot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Utard View Post
    I think this is the reason mtbr az isn't what it used to be - not enough folks (like chad, paul b, dirtgirl, etal) on here who share their mtb passion anymore. Spring fling was surely fun
    In the "good ol' days," any complaint about the forum would result in a blast of harassment from many of those old timers. As such, it can easily be argued that the forum is better, kinder, and gentler, now.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Meatbomb
    I say we pull together a mini spring fling and all ride Browns Ranch next Saturday (4/9) as a casual no vaping and no throwing of hands ride. Anyone up for it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SSdirt29 View Post
    I've been around MTBR since the 90's. Nothing has changed. It's like classes of the show real word, they constantly change and think they're special and then they drift away and get replaced. Snarky, smartass, funny , mean whatever, It's always been a part of it and when it isn't anymore I wont be here either.
    You and Blatant make up yet, or.........

Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    You and Blatant make up yet, or.........

And this......well this is the most homoerotic thing I have ever watched. Thanks for the laugh Mrwhlr!

I bet it was one of those cheap plastic ones too.

Or maybe one of these? Put It In Your Mouth: Genital-Shaped Bongs

Tucson, AZ
    No, I'd rather drive everywhere these days. The desert is not what it used to be anymore.

Tucson, AZ
    I am not sure yet. Want to come. Waiting for carpool option to pop up. Found my other handle. This is Chad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I say we pull together a mini spring fling and all ride Browns Ranch next Saturday (4/9) as a casual no vaping and no throwing of hands ride. Anyone up for it?
    I'd be in afternoon or that Sunday. Still coaching soccer game on Saturday mornings.

I only went to one Spring Fling, but it was cool to meet the people I forumed with. I know a lot of the regulars on this forum, have at least rode with them once or twice, and it really makes the forum more fun to use when there is more familarity between us. The posts then tend to be more about cool crap than crying about riding your bike. T100 might be a fun one.

But then again there are tons of local rides put on by shops. Maybe we should have a sticky for those and all agree to show up to some of these and make some friends.
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA