MT Lemmen MTB Access Threatened by Wilderness- Mtbr.com
    caninus xerophilous

MT Lemmen MTB Access Threatened by Wilderness

Please look at this thread and if it is important, respond ASAP.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=611337

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks SunDog.

Occidental Tourist
    Email sent
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Just another half mile...
    In addition to Incinerator Ridge, Green Mtn and Bug Springs being affected, Samaniego Ridge, Red ridge and CDO trails are also under wilderness threat.

Draft Sameniego Ridge Potential Wildernes Area Evaluation Report

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Please look at this thread and if it is important, respond ASAP.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=611337

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider
    In addition to Incinerator Ridge, Green Mtn and Bug Springs being affected, Samaniego Ridge, Red ridge and CDO trails are also under wilderness threat.

Draft Sameniego Ridge Potential Wildernes Area Evaluation Report
    Yup, I noticed that one too. This has the potential to affect nearly all of the favorite MTB trails on Lemmon. Seems like a dastardly plan to restrict MTB's from MT Lemmon.

Don't know what to make of it other than a Sierra Club type power grab while the politics are favorable.

I say we already have enough wilderness per capita in and around Tucson!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I sent 2 opposition emails, the second outlining why I oppose horses in wilderness. As they form deep holes when the soil is wet, draw flies and increase the likely hood of invasive species with droppings I oppose horses in wilderness. I see wilderness as play areas for the rich horse owner who can afford to trailer horses many miles. I have yet to see a horse walk to a wilderness area.
    agmtb

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Just rolled in from my first trip down Milagrosa.

E-mail sent.

Tucson, AZ
    Sent an email yesterday. Check out this video from the Red Ridge Epic we did this Feb. Under the proposed action, this would be considered wilderness.

from Scott Morris on Vimeo.

This ride was on my list for 10 Top Underestimated Rides in Arizona I posted a few months ago.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

designated Wilderness is the dumbest idea ever...

Just ask the folks (idiots) in California. All the Wilderness areas are being taken over by drug cartels growing pot. Since access is so restricted, very few people are there to keep them in check.

They tap water sources for irrigation, bring in pesticides and herbacides to keep the rodents and weeds (the unwanted weed) in check. Leave their trash behind, etc.
    Not to mention they shoot at or threaten people who happen by their gardens.

My family has owned a ranch propety in Northern Ca. since 1931 and from what I hear, ranchers in the area are selling their land because it cost to much to patrol the properties.

Funny I don't read about the Sierra Club hiring any security services to protect these properties once they are designated Wilderness (and the US Forest Service certainly doesn't have the money).

Idiots...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Email sent!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Sent an email yesterday. Check out this video from the Red Ridge Epic we did this Feb. Under the proposed action, this would be considered wilderness.

This ride was on my list for 10 Top Underestimated Rides in Arizona I posted a few months ago.

That is insane! Very cool video how long did that take?

mtbr member
    I sent my email this morning and specifically highlighted both the Eastern Catalina and Sanmaneigo Ridge areas as non-starters for Wilderness designation.

AKA shitbird
    Email sent
    JRA

Plus size jersey model
    Maybe if you Phoenix guys can take the contact email over to the local shops up there and see if they can work on getting emails out that would really help a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks to everyone who sent in emails!
    We need to show big numbers to the forest service so they know mountain biking in the Catalinas is important to us.

Have multiple email addresses? Use them all to send in the message.

Thanks again!

martha

caninus xerophilous
    Please spread the word, and tell your buddies to write, this is serious poop here!!!!!

We stand to loose an entire mountain of excellent trails. That will kill most of the good riding down here in Tucson, so you PHX peeps will have to live with us Old Pueblans clogging your trails and forums. And you know you don't wan't that.

mtbr member
    email sent.
    Sundog, is this on facebook yet?

mtbr member
    E-mail sent yesterday when I saw the other thread. We lost 500,000 acres in my county alone to wilderness a couple years ago because there wasn't enough sensible folks opposing it.

I wish we could get people who are not opposed to bikes in National Forest to re-think their support of Wilderness designation. Most are shocked when I tell them the trails are now closed to bicycles. There's gotta be a better way to protect the forest without closing it down.

Occidental Tourist
    A thought from a friend that has some good talkng points, "wilderness = unfragmented, contiguous tracts of highly suitable habitat. mt lemmon lacks its original animal population, has numerous enclaves of residential communities and a major roadway cutting through the middle. mt lemmon is best left to the masses and open for multiple use. keep it for the people, preserve the santa ritas and the rincons for the wildlife and solitude"
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

caninus xerophilous
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    We lost 500,000 acres in my county alone to wilderness a couple years ago because there wasn't enough sensible folks opposing it.

I wish we could get people who are not opposed to bikes in National Forest to re-think their support of Wilderness designation. Most are shocked when I tell them the trails are now closed to bicycles. There's gotta be a better way to protect the forest without closing it down.
    When reading through the PWA, it is apparent that MTB'ers are being deliberatley omitted, as not even acknowledged as a recognized user group. This is not good.

Unfortunately with the present feel good greenie movement, some people may be supporting the wilderness expansions without fully understanding the ramifications to other user groups. Equally unfortunate is that MTB'ers are so compartmentalized and unorganized that major things like this can get this far without a peep from the community. It is already bad enough that we have a large dedicated and organized movement that does seek to ban MTB's from "their" forests.

We need to organize better to prevent ths type of thing from sneeking up on us. We recently asked for the local LBS's in th OP to write in support for an IMBA grant to connect some trails on MT Lemmon to create a long sought contiguous 1 track descent. We got one letter of support from one of the many LBS in Tucson that were contacted.

Again, I reiterate the utmost importance to stand up and oppose this wilderness expansion that will all but ban MTB's from Mt Lemmon. Letters from businesses wil carry more weight than from individuals, so please, if you run an MTB LBS, speak up on our behlaf.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I sent mine today!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    A thought from a friend that has some good talkng points, "wilderness = unfragmented, contiguous tracts of highly suitable habitat. mt lemmon lacks its original animal population, has numerous enclaves of residential communities and a major roadway cutting through the middle. mt lemmon is best left to the masses and open for multiple use. keep it for the people, preserve the santa ritas and the rincons for the wildlife and solitude"
    There is some recognition of those factors in the FS Draft PWA's for the Mt. Lemmon. However, a massive email campaign by the MTB community, Bike Shops, etc. will help put a nail in the coffin early.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb21
    That is insane! Very cool video how long did that take?
    ~11 hours

mtbr member

AZEPIC you should post this video over in Passion with the same message (if you haven't already). That forum gets lots of views and would help to get the word out to a larger audience. We only have 9 days left to get comments into the FS draft proposal.

BTW I know how difficult this ride is. Mad props to you and Scott for taking it on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ~11 hours

amazing

mtbr member
    Done!

rip the line
    Jun 2006
    This wilderness stuff is crazy. My letter will be out soon. I seem to be less PC than most of my friends so I'm trying to write it up nice. Got a great friend helping me on it.
    "I tried to live always free and above board like you" Cool Hand Luke

Sup?
    Quote Originally Posted by SunDog
    Yup, I noticed that one too. This has the potential to affect nearly all of the favorite MTB trails on Lemmon. Seems like a dastardly plan to restrict MTB's from MT Lemmon.

I say we already have enough wilderness per capita in and around Tucson!
    True Dat! Also notice the wilderness expansion in the Dragoons... same thing, no MTB there once this goes through.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bump...

As awesome as Chad and Scotts ride was(maybe the last). It's sad that that tread has 3x's the views. C'mon AZ this potential loss of access affects all of us.

Plus size jersey model
    I will be heading to three shops today to get them the info and make sure they are sending out emails.

Plus size jersey model
    Posted this in the passion section as well.

mtbr member
    Here's another vid of some the most ahhsum riding that needs to be saved:

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks to the Mods for the sticky.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have sent the link to everyone i know that rides so they can send in their e-mail also.

mtbr member
    Bump

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I was wondering if anyone had contacted IMBA about this ? maybe they could help?

mtbr member
    Yes SDMB (one of the Tucson MTB clubs) held a conference call with IMBA last week. We are in the process of generating a joint letter from IMBA and SDMB to the Forest Service.

My other ride is your mom
    Sent my plea in this morning....I asked my wife out on our first date almost 10 years ago on a trail within the PWA currently under consideration.......

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just got off the phone with Erin Boyle who provided answers to my pressing questions about mountain biking in the Coronado.

So far they've received about 40 comments from mtb-ers regarding our beloved sport. This was enough to be heard! She said it was an "oversight" of the policy preparer to not include mtb-ing as a primary use of the forest (I need to believe it was not an intentional oversight, but the more I learn about the wilderness groups, the more I believe otherwise.) and mountain biking as a recreational activity will be included in future drafts. Woohoo!

To be notified of future deadlines or updates to the FS "stuff" all you need to do is provide an email address or mailing address plus your name to the email you used to provide your comment to the FS and you will be notified (sorry I don't have that email immediately at hand).

thanks for the comments! Woohoo!

martha

mtbr member
    I would really be great if we could get 100 comments into the FS prior to Friday's cut off date.Keep those cards and letters coming.

Tucson, AZ
    Last day to make this thing happen, I just sent another email from another account, same name Let's make sure we all send another one to really get our message across.

mtbr member
    so what happened ?

mtbr member
    The FS built a new trail segment and the Lemmon drop is even better.

Tragedy avoided for now.

Also the Arizona Trail Association is adopting most of the Lemmon Drop as a Non Wilderness bypass for the Catalina's. Hopefully this designation will help keep this open to bikes now and in the future.

Tim
    Last edited by AZTtripper; 09-28-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    That's great news Tim, thanks for the update. Hopefully I'll make it down for another Lemmon Drop run this year, have to see how the schedule plays out.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Yeah its going to be nice now with Incinerator in, Seems like the 2nd weekend of Oct has been perfect.

I've been thinking it would make a sweet weekend ride. Rather then trying to do it all at once, something many don't manage, you could camp out at Hitchcock. Makes the shuttling easier too.

It's either that or an ITT!

I'm thinking you could drive to the top, do the ride, and then have a cardboard sign "Lemmon Drop Car on Top. Somebody would give you a ride.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    cool

Members who have read this thread: 0