Mt Graham trail advice?- Mtbr.com
    rust never sleeps

Mt Graham trail advice?

Can anyone advise a few options for XC trails in Graham county, near Mt Graham (Safford or Thatcher)?

I've heard the rides out there are great, but I can't find much info.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!! - Rob
    I love you to death, but get on the bus or throw yourself under it.

...a peaceful man stands tall...

Scott in Tucson
    I don't know of any rides except those actually on Mt. Graham. At the top there are two four mile loops that are mucho fun - Grant Hill and Cunningham. They are actually marked on the side of the road once you get up there. You can ride both by parking at the same spot.

Arcadia is another trail that is rideable both directions, though it's got some serious elevation change for climbing up. You can loop it with Lady Bug trail.

Otherwise, there are half a dozen other trails that drop off the mountain, but it's a shuttle or suffer kinda thing, and trail conditions vary, especially with the fires.

Would love to hear about some lower elevation rides near Safford! Anyone??
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Road Warrior
    Did the Grant Hill and Cunningham loops on Mt Graham in June. 100 deg. in Safford, 67 deg on Mt Graham. 2007 IMBA calander has picture from the overlook on the Grant Hill loop. Grant Hill loop has the most single track. Both trails are mostly non technical, but at 10,000 ft it's a work out. More info can be found in the book Mountain Bike America/ Arizona. published by The Globe Pequot Press. If you are unable to obtain this book email me (dlachniet@hotmail.com) and I'll send you a copy of the trail guide. Trail can be trickey to follow as it is a mix of old loging roads and single track.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

trail network

I met a guy in the Dragoons who told me of a network of trails off highway #266, at Stockman Pass. Believe they are on the north side of the road. Please let me know what you find as I've only been there in the summer when it's just too hot to ride at that elevation. 266 is south of 366-Swift Trail.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

trail network

Quote Originally Posted by abegold
    I met a guy in the Dragoons who told me of a network of trails off highway #266, at Stockman Pass. Believe they are on the north side of the road. Please let me know what you find as I've only been there in the summer when it's just too hot to ride at that elevation. 266 is south of 366-Swift Trail.
    I know the top of the mountain pretty well but riding there this time of year would be frigid. Camp there most years in June. Do NOT ride the top of the Grahams druing the monsoons as thunderstorms are very violent.
    agmtb

caninus xerophilous
    I have explored the network of jeep roads on the southside of 266 just SE of Stockton Pass looking to punch on through to Wilcox. That area has potential. North of Stockton there is a campground and some smaller paths around the picnic area at the bottom of Shake Springs Trail.

Also, I have been intrigued with the potential East of Safford between Highways 191 and 70 whenever I drive pass that area. A look at the map entices one further with names like Slickrock Basin, Jackpot Mesa, and Rhyolite Peak. Hopefully one day I can get out that way and check it out.

Members who have read this thread: 1