Mt Elden - Rideable?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Mt Elden - Rideable?

I visited Flagstaff in July and was so saddened at the fire and its impact. It was totally closed to MTB at that time.

Is the Mt Elden fireroad to Sunset to Little Bear to Schultz Creek rideable? I hear there is no snow on the ground in town, so, maybe you can that high elevation loop is do-able.

What says you?
    You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding - KRob

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There is enough snow up high that the riding is pretty much a no go. South facing trails around the base of Elden are mostly doable but there are still patches of snow and lots of mud. Little Bear was destroyed by the fire but it may be rebuilt this coming summer, maybe. I rode in Sedona today and it was killer. Lots of tacky dirt and perfect temps, ride there for a much better experience.

banned
    No, that loop is not rideable. Little Bear was badly damaged after the fire, during monsoon rains. It is closed and will not be rebuilt until 2012. Little Elden may be restored and reopened in 2011. There is no snow in town but there is some on the north side of Elden which will not melt until spring. Almost all trails are wet and muddy. It would be best to stay off of them to avoid causing damage.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Looks like Sedona will get the ride time. Thanks for the info everyone.
    You don't stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding - KRob

Members who have read this thread: 0