MSP - Wow!- Mtbr.com

Thread: MSP - Wow!

Black and Sticky

MSP - Wow!

This morning I finally made the trip from N. Central Phoenix and went to McDowell Sonoran Preserve. Always knew MSP was there and supposed to be good riding, but for whatever reason never went. Only rode a small portion, but what little I did was really superb. Don't know why MSP isn't more famous, although I guess the locals that ride there are glad it isn't. Started at Lost Dog Trailhead and rode up Lost Dog Wash trail then Quartz trail until it intersected Paradise trail. Turned around there and rode back up to Old Jeep trail to Ringtail trail and back to Lost Dog Trailhead. Surprisingly that was only about 9 miles, but with the climbing it seemed farther. The climb back up Quartz heading south toward Taliesin overlook was demanding but very fun, one of those trail sections that's more fun climbing than descending.

The only bad part was last quarter mile downhill of Old Jeep trail. It was way rocky, like riding thru a stream bed with boulders but without the water. There I rode by a very nice lady (Liz) who was one of the trail stewards and she said "you must like contusions." I finally had to hike a bike the last 100-150 feet or so before it intersected Ringtail. BTW, those trail stewards are very nice folks.

Anyway, for anyone looking for a nice change from their "home trail," try MSP, highly recommended.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

mtbr member
    There are some great trails out there. Next time continue on Paradise trail, that is one of the best sections out there. If you like climbing try Gateway Pass, Windgate Pass and Bell Pass. Gateway pass is a good start and the views back to Scottsdale are sweet. Farther east is Sunrise. Not all of the trails are on the preserves website as of yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0