mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Moving to Prescott (maybe)...Help!

First things first, I know nothing about AZ. I am from Oregon, I lived in Socal for 2 years and ended up running back to OR because Socal is too f'in crowded and expensive.

My company is relocating to Prescott, I am unsure if I even want to follow the company there..but that is whole different story.

What is it like in Prescott? climate? recreation (specifically MTB of course)? housing market? crime? snow in the winter? schools? water quality? etc. I want to know it all!
    Would it be better to live in Flagstaff and commute?(I dont even know how far away it is...)
    Do you like it there????
    I have a wife and a baby, so that has to be factored in also.

Just trying to gather information that can help me decide. Here in Oregon we have one of the highest unemployment rates, so if I need to job hunt here, it could be very difficult.
    thank you
    Last edited by compression; 07-29-2009 at 12:56 PM.

My other ride is your mom
    Ummmm>>>I'll let the locals answer specifics for you since I live in PHX....but as a native Arizonan....I think you will be pretty happy with Prescott from the sound of your scenario.

mtbr member
    There was a thread on here last year about something similar. You might want to search and see what you can dig up.

I also live in PHX but ride in Prescott whenever I can. Awesome trails, cool town and nice climate except for a little snow in winter.

I will let the usual Prescott suspects fill in all the details.

parenting for gnarness
    Edit your thread title to include Prescott. Some active and opinionated (in a good way) Prescott locals on this forum who can best assist you.

I think Prescott offers some of the best of what AZ offers. compromises compared to Phx, and compared to Flag, but if I could find a good job there comparable to what I have in Phx I would move. I think you will want to consider schools, possibly private schools, and also where the development patterns are going as the area is growing. but everything you want can be found with some good decisions.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    thanks guys. Keep it coming. I will do some searching when I have time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Okay. Here's my take on it, having moved to AZ from OR several years ago.

It's warmer here. With triple digit temps in the Willamette Valley recently though, some places would be a relief. Prescott is usually quite a bit warmer than Flag and cooler than Phoenix. Temps in the 100s still pretty commonplace though. Winter is highly variable here. Sometimes it snows heavily (though rare in Prescott), sometimes hardly at all except on the high mountains. It is definitely a four season climate.

Schools suck a$$. Arizona public schools made something like 47th out of 50 last time I heard. It will vary somewhat depending on which district you wind up living in (the ones with money, or the ones without)... but overall, pretty bad.

Economy is bad, but it's bad everywhere. Prescott is one of the fastest growing cities anywhere right now, so probably better there.

I live in Flagstaff, and enjoy the cooler climate and the mountains... the trails that are all of a 10 minute ride from my front door, and the fact that I can live here comfortably without a car. I'll be totally screwed if I lose my job, as there aren't any others... and the cost of living is high. From what I understand, all of these things are true of Prescott as well, just to a somewhat lesser degree.

Do not commute to Prescott from Flag. It's totally doable (if a little long) most of the year, but you WILL miss work and/or be late in the winter months due to road closures/accidents/etc.

For what it's worth, I've been thinking about doing a recon trip down to Prescott myself... look around, do some riding and camping. Prescott national forest is beautiful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Great mountain biking. Great rock climbing. Lots of additional outdoor activities within a couple of hours of driving. Able to escape to the high country in the summer and down to the sunny desert in the winter. Nice size town, big enough to have lots to offer but not so big as to make you constantly wish you were someplace smaller.

mtbr member
    I love Arizona. If my company was moving me to Prescott I'd already have my bike and hiking shoes loaded.

mtbr member
    The wife and I are native Arizonans and from 40-odd years of experience we can say Prescott is the place to be, especially with kids. Climate is relatively mild year-round; not as much heat as Phx/Tucson, not as much snow as Flag. Every kind of biking trail is available, from DH to technical slickrock to groomed XC, right out the back door. Short drives to Flag/Sedona or Phx provide variety. Certain public schools here may be as bad as the national average info mentioned above, but some of them are very good and there are also charter schools and affordable private options that are excellent. It's a fast-growing place but still has a small town feel. Housing is more affordable at the moment due to the real estate bust (good for you, bad for us ). There are 3 bike shops in town. Culture ranges from redneck to PhD and everyone in between; lots of colleges here and plenty of bars. Check out Velokid's Raven Singletrack site for more on bike stuff: http://ravensingletrack.com/Home_Page.html. No wonder Chollaball wants to move up here!
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    heli is right. I ride with him often, all he says is true - BUT if your thing is strict FR or DH, we are lacking in the techy/jump/drop stuff but plenty of that in Phoenix or Flag. If on the other hand you are mainly an XC trail rider or XC racer, I think the place is awesome for that. I love Arizona, glad I chose it over Denver.

banned
    May 2009
    I moved to Prescott from Bend, OR with my wife and kid 4-5 months ago. Love it, mountain bike heaven, awesome weather, the town rules, Phoenix is so close for any big city needs, best move ever.

mtbr member
    I lived in Phoenix all my life and a few years ago decided to move up to prescott for school. I loved it! coming from phoenix where its alot faster paced with more people and higher temps I was ready to try something new and Prescott was the place for me. On an average weekend theres all kinds of things to do from art shows to Prescotts recently added local Hockey team (the Sundogs). I was in college so needless to say I spent much of my time on Whiskey row, which is in the town square and has an awesome bar scene. Theres also a pub on the square called "Prescott Brewery" thats got some of the best micro brews I've ever had. If you like the outdoors this is the perfect place as well. There are several lakes for fishing, alot of intense rock climbing, and several really good parks with running paths. NOW lets get to the mountain biking. I started riding when I was living up in prescott and there were countless trails that adapted to my riding style. When I first started I was riding cross country and there were several loops that I could take for a great work out. Later on I got into more Downhill and there were several trails that I could shuttle to the top of and enjoy the ride down. theres also a ton of roads that are perfect for road biking, and plenty of bike shops that have all the necessary equipment to maintain the hobby. I loved Prescott but every once in a while I would want to go to a SUNS game or go see a concert or something, and it was fairly easy since phoenix is only 1:45 away. The weather is awesome! My experience was when it snowed it melted within a few days and during the summer the high averaged around 90.
    Hope this helped and feel free to ask anymore questions.
    "If your not first your last"

36 styles of danger

Press-kit Like Biscuit

You have the tricky part nailed down - a job

The climate is nice - not as hot as Phx in the summer, not as much snow/cold as Flagstaff in the winter.

We generally get 1 to 2 storms with a couple of inches of snow in the winter and that's about it. Usually melts off in a day or two.

Prescott is in Yavapai County and is on the west side of the county. There are several cities in this part of the county with a combined population of about 100,000 or so people.

Prescott isn't the sticks but it does maintain a smaller town feel to it given that 100,000 people isn't exactly chump change.

Housing is generally less expensive in Prescott Valley or Chino Valley than Prescott but it depends on what you are looking for.

There is some crime here but nothing like your average metropolis due to the size of the area.

In fact, I grew up in Phx and I was blown away when I moved to Prescott that people would leave their cars with the keys in the ignition or running at a store. Things have changed a bit since then but still a nice small town feel.

The Prescott area is a good place to raise kids and is a good gateway to outdoor stuff both here in Prescott or in Phx, Flagstaff, Tucson, Utah, NM, Cali, etc.

Water quality is actually a good question. The Prescott area has excellent water quality.

For example, www.cityofprescott.net/_d/water_quality_report_2007.pdf

One thing to be aware of is that there are a fair number of people who live in the county and have wells, even a few who have to haul water since their well may not be sufficient.

It isn't like everyone has an outhouse in the back yard and a well but there are some areas around here where people do have a well. Not necessarily something you see in certain parts of the country.

I would agree that while commuting from Flagstaff to Prescott is possible the weather in Flagstaff during the winter makes this tricky.

I have some neighbors who commute into North Phx which is about an hour and 15 to an hour and 20 minutes or so one way.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    Okay. Here's my take on it, having moved to AZ from OR several years ago.

It's warmer here. With triple digit temps in the Willamette Valley recently though, some places would be a relief. Prescott is usually quite a bit warmer than Flag and cooler than Phoenix. Temps in the 100s still pretty commonplace though. Winter is highly variable here. Sometimes it snows heavily (though rare in Prescott), sometimes hardly at all except on the high mountains. It is definitely a four season climate..
    I hope that you don't mean it's common to have 100s in Prescott. We haven't have 100s all year long, and I doubt we will. It's been warm the last week, as the monsoon flow has shut off temporarily, but it's still nice and cool in the morning and evenings for riding, and I can still stand mid-day rides. On the hottest days it's temps in the 90s, but those usually don't last that much. We're in a temporary hot-spell (116+ in phoenix yesterday) which drove us into the low 90s, but otherwise it's pretty darn nice, all year, and you're close to different climates if you need relief.

And I wouldn't suggest commuting from flagstaff. Mega-grades each way on the freeway, you'll burn tons of gas, not to mention the winter driving conditions. It snows as hard as any snowstorm in Colorado or the Sierras at times, although it's not as frequent. Depending on where you live in Prescott/Prescott Valley, it's between 1:15 and 1:30 commute to Flagstaff, and that's just from a P/PV location to the offramp in Flag essentially.

I am looking to move-on soon with my career, but I don't know if I'm going to leave Prescott, and I can't really think of many, if any places, that offer as much as Prescott in terms of year-round mountain biking options. I don't care that much about skiing anymore, nor do I want to be snowed-in 6 months of the year, and I also don't want to live in a total desert surrounded by only rock and scrub. We have hundreds of miles of trails, and some don't even get utilized all that much, which is all the better for those of us that are adventurous. Then of course there's Sedona, Flagstaff and Phoenix, when the seasons are right.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    I'll jump in as well...I moved here sixteen years ago from SoCal. same deal job moved here so I followed. Jayem has the weather thing down. and the riding here is Great and keeps getting better, new trails being built all the time. (thanks to Chris, Rob and crew)
    so how about some pics

and so on! anyone have pics of down town?
    Last edited by befoot; 07-29-2009 at 11:05 PM.
    Darwin was an Optimist

found one

Last edited by befoot; 07-29-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by compression
    What is it like in Prescott? climate? recreation (specifically MTB of course)? housing market? crime? snow in the winter? schools? water quality? etc. I want to know it all!

http://www.city-data.com/city/Prescott-Arizona.html
    Last edited by Evil Patrick; 07-30-2009 at 07:05 AM.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm a Prescott people. I've lived here off and on for 10 years. Every town has pros and cons, but as a place to be, it's really hard to knock Prescott. I really don't think you can beat the weather. As Jayem said, we've not hit 100 yet this year and probably won't. Morning rides during the "hot" part of the summer seldom reach 80. A "bad" winter might mean our trails are covered for maybe 2-4 weeks, but even then other trails nearby are open. I live near downtown and can access 75% of our trails from my house. I shuttle my bike on my car less than 10 times a year. Plus, with our volunteer trail crews, our trail system grows by roughly 50 feet a week.

Housing is pretty cheap NOW that the bubble has burst. Jobs are tough. Schools aren't bad if you know where to look. The people are nice, the riding community is very friendly. A nice little town. It's not growing as some have said. We had a mega spurt of growth for about 7 years, but that has all but come to a halt.

Head on down!

www.ravensingletrack.com for more riding info.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    That can actually be quite a bit misleading though, as we have monsoon season which will mean the "high temp" is somewhere around 10am-12, then it starts raining and cooling off, leaving the rest of the day quite nice (70s).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Ha! When I posted this question over three years ago, all I got was arguments about the brewery.

I lived in Prescott Valley for just over two years, moved away a year ago to go to grad school.

It's a great place to live. I hope the real estate has gone down a good bit, we looked when we moved and quickly realized that at 2006 prices buying in Prescott proper was a joke. We rented in PV, which was fine and closer to my work, but if I had it to do over I'd likely pay the extra 150 bucks or so a month to live near downtown. Riding to the trails from PV was a pain/terrifying/not practical.

As far as year round temps and riding, I don't think it can get much better. We never used our AC (ie it gets in the upper 90s at the worst) and never had snow in our yard for more than 16 hours. In the winter of 06-07 almost all the trails were rideable year round. The next winter some of the high stuff was snowed in for a few months (see below, on the upper reaches of the Whiskey course in late Feb '08).

The riding in Flag is better, but Prescott trails are much less crowded and there isn't the same scene, which an anti-social rider like myself appreciates.

On a state level education is indeed awful in Arizona, but as Helimech noted, there are plenty of exceptions throughout the state, both private and public.

What else...

The riding's awesome. The climbing's really good. You're two hours from the Grand Canyon. The Prescott YMCA is fantastic (or was a year ago). And yes, the local brewery makes some good stuff (doppelbock, belgian ale, killer fish and chips). The skiing sucks.

I'm not sure I'd move back (I like winter), but I'd definitely think about it. And guys like Enel, Helimech, Befoot, and Jayem are great to ride with.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    All things considered, IMO, Prescott may be best town in Az. Great climate. Outdoors activities abound. Mtn biking is awesome, with lots of trails. Flagstaff, Sedona and Phoenix are all relatively close, and with different types of riding, if you need change of scenery. I live in Phoenix and have a riding bud who owns 2nd home in Prescott. We go up often to ride and stay, and I don't recall ever having to use his AC in summer. It's on my list of places to retire,if that day ever happens.

Powered by ice cream.
    This thread makes me want to move to Prescott

At least it quells any wanderlust. We might be lifers. We took a family vacation to the mountains of CA this summer, and I teared up a bit on arriving back to town. There is not a lot to attract me away from here. It has a bit of everything. (except a beach)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

EDR
    I've lived in Phoenix since '79. Been to Prescott many times. If I could manage it financially (job) I'd move to Prescott or Flagstaff in a heartbeat. Unless you really want to live in a major metro area, then I think you'd really like it there. I'm jealous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRock
    All things considered, IMO, Prescott may be best town in Az. Great climate. Outdoors activities abound. Mtn biking is awesome, with lots of trails. Flagstaff, Sedona and Phoenix are all relatively close, and with different types of riding, if you need change of scenery. I live in Phoenix and have a riding bud who owns 2nd home in Prescott. We go up often to ride and stay, and I don't recall ever having to use his AC in summer. It's on my list of places to retire,if that day ever happens.
    Not to put a damper on this entire thread, but I thought the same thing before I moved there back in 94. I enjoyed it for the first couple weeks there, but quickly got fed up with the traffic, all the infighting between the locals, the Cali transplants, the PC granolas, and so on. It was a bit too small town for me.

However, let me say that I was 1) single, 2) dirt poor, 3) didn't mountain bike or really do a lot of outdoors stuff, and 4) didn't know anybody in town. I stayed a year, and could not wait to leave. Looking back--and realizing that was 15 years ago--I'm sure it has some endearing qualities, and it sounds like those who live there really enjoy it. Would you company let you take a week to explore the place before you decide. If so, I'd spend a week and get to know the location, the people, etc. You might like it. Oh, and I'd try to do it now, at the hottest part of the year, just so you can see what the temps are like in the summer. As others have said, the summers are much more managable than in the Valley, and the winters are very, very mild.

I guess Roc's comment about it being the best town in AZ just rubbed me the wrong way. If I still feel Tucson is the best city in AZ. That's my opinion (oh, and I live in Phx by the way).
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

aka Diesel
    I drive up there at least once a week, and I'm starting to think I should just move there as well. I am addicted to those trails, and obsessed with Casa Bonita for my post-ride beer and burrito before heading out of town.

That said, I became so obsessed with Prescott that I recently checked out real estate, and I gotta say- it wasn't cheap. Not exactly small town prices. At least not for the size of the house I'd need for the chitlins. If you move there, I'm jealous. Nice folks up that way, and still looking forward to seeing those "secret trails" one of the shop owners was offering-up.

Well, I'm setting a 3-5 year goal.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

mtbr member
    Like many of the above posts .......if my lady and I had work in Prescott, We would move in a heartbeat. Im a AZ native and love sneaking up to hit the trails, hunt, fish and hike. Great place. Did not here any comments on the states oldest rodeo being in Prescott. Thats a good time as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    and obsessed with Casa Bonita for my post-ride beer and burrito before heading out of town.

Casa Bonita is a slice of heaven

YMMV

Lon

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I guess Roc's comment about it being the best town in AZ just rubbed me the wrong way. If I still feel Tucson is the best city in AZ. That's my opinion (oh, and I live in Phx by the way).
    Well, not to put down Tucson too much, but from up here in Prescott there doesn't seem to be much difference between Tucson and Phoenix. Temperature wise they are about the same. Sure, both parties claim they are different, but a 5 degree difference is nothing compared to a 20 degree diff or more. Tucson also seems so "isolated" to me. It is not that far from Phoenix, but anything else is much further, like Sedona, Flagstaff, White Mountains, etc. The Catalinas are pretty cool, but it doesn't seem enough for me. I know there are other places that require some driving fairly nearby, but again it just seems so isolated out there.

Anyway, I was just in Tucson last weekend. We flew in, then drove around in a BMW for a while at night. It was kind of fun, because we got kind of lost, but we'd both been there before and knew enough to get back to the airport. I definitely don't hate Tucson, but it's not for everyone, and even though it's a pretty "big city", I just always feel very isolated there. Maybe it's being on the desert floor with everything else pretty far away, I dunno.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunde
    Casa Bonita is a slice of heaven

YMMV

Lon
    Seriously. I think about it the whole time I'm riding. That place, alone, is worth the drive. Good family vibe. I was surprised when I the last time I was there, the waiter knew what kind of beer to bring me. Nice to be treated like a local, or regular, when you're just a lowly visitor.

I'm also a huge fan of Thai food... any suggestions? I've noticed a good number of them up there...

mtbr member
    I'm also a huge fan of Thai food... any suggestions? I've noticed a good number of them up there...
    Here are a few, they are all different in taste?
    Tara Thai in PV
    Thai Phoon in P
    Thai House across from Panda express in P.

Hope that helps.
    I'm sure others will chime in on some more.
    SHITBIRD

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thai House!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Tara Thai in PV
    Thai Phoon in P

Hope that helps.
    Tara Thai is on the main drag in PV, just as you near the new Home Depot. The owners of Tara Thai are great. The wife is from Thailand and her husband is a master gardener from Nebraska. Sounds like an odd combi, but Rex grows much of the produce they use. They also spend several months of the year in Thailand, often bringing home new menu items. I'm not usually a dessert guy, but their home made coconut icecream served with a tempura'ed banana is killer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thank you all for the great responses. My company is going to present a relocation package deal to me sometime in the next 2 weeks.
    There are a few major hang-ups that would prevent me from moving down there:
    1. Both the wife and I have lots of immediate and extended family/friends here in the Portland area, I am a fourth generation Portland native, so the roots are deep and strong.
    2. My house has dropped about 15-20% in value since I bought it, so selling it would be difficult and I would lose a lot of money.
    3. New baby, with grandparents that are crazy about her and visit multiple times a week.

Now that I know Prescott is a good place, these are the things that are going to make the decision tough.

But I am going to keep an open mind, take a look at the package that is offered to me and then make a decision.
    Thanks again.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Thank you all for the great responses. My company is going to present a relocation package deal to me sometime in the next 2 weeks.
    1. Both the wife and I have lots of immediate and extended family/friends here in the Portland area, I am a fourth generation Portland native, so the roots are deep and strong.
    2. My house has dropped about 15-20% in value since I bought it, so selling it would be difficult and I would lose a lot of money.
    3. New baby, with grandparents that are crazy about her and visit multiple times a week.

Now that I know Prescott is a good place, these are the things that are going to make the decision tough.

But I am going to keep an open mind, take a look at the package that is offered to me and then make a decision.
    Thanks again.
    Yep, you have to decide whether it's worth it. This is one of those places where you can get out and ride ALL the time and have a great time outdoors. Some people aren't like that, but I am, and I would take a hit or deal with a bit less pay to live here and be able to enjoy all the things it has to offer. The exact tradeoff could still be a deal-breaker, but there are lots of places around the country that I won't consider at all, even if I made a lot more $$$.

Tara Thai in PV is awesome!!!! I miss it. The Papaya salad is amazing.

I am Walt

Thanks again.
    Yeah, but your JOB is moving to Prescott. If you can find another comparable job easily in Portland, then stay, but if not...I would think that having a good job that you like (I assume you do) is rather important.

That's not too bad in terms of a drop in home value, all things considered, and you should be able to make up some of that due to lower prices, in general, in Prescott vs. Portland.

I'd be very happy in Prescott...if I could swing it, I'd move there.
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Well, not to put down Tucson too much, but from up here in Prescott there doesn't seem to be much difference between Tucson and Phoenix. Temperature wise they are about the same. Sure, both parties claim they are different, but a 5 degree difference is nothing compared to a 20 degree diff or more. Tucson also seems so "isolated" to me. It is not that far from Phoenix, but anything else is much further, like Sedona, Flagstaff, White Mountains, etc. The Catalinas are pretty cool, but it doesn't seem enough for me. I know there are other places that require some driving fairly nearby, but again it just seems so isolated out there.

Anyway, I was just in Tucson last weekend. We flew in, then drove around in a BMW for a while at night. It was kind of fun, because we got kind of lost, but we'd both been there before and knew enough to get back to the airport. I definitely don't hate Tucson, but it's not for everyone, and even though it's a pretty "big city", I just always feel very isolated there. Maybe it's being on the desert floor with everything else pretty far away, I dunno.
    Agreed, temp wise Prescott blows both Phoenix and Tucson away. My only real issue with Prescott was that it was a little too small town for me. But I was a wet behind the ears, fresh out of school kid. I'm sure I'd have a different view of the town today.

mtbr member
    I live in Prescott. For a mountain biker, Prescottís location within the state has advantages: Itís weather and its close proximity to other riding. Itís high enough in elevation that itís cooler than Phoenix, but not so high that the trails get snowed over for monthís during the winter. A lot of the higher elevation trails do get snowed over and frozen. And some sections get bad muddy, but typically that doesnít last too long and sometimes not at all. Summer storms keep things cool and trail conditions excellent. Thereís miles of trails, and multiple loop options to keep riderís from getting bored. But if you should want a change in trails, one doesnít need to drive too many miles from Prescott to get that. Phoenix riding to the south, Sedona and Flagstaff both to the north. All fairly easy drives from Prescottís central location in either direction from I-17. This is Prescottís advantage in my opinion. And itís a great place to live. I genuinely donít have any real complaintís about it.

On the topic of food, as much as I like Prescottís Mexican food, (theyĎre all good), I gotta say my personal favorite for bean and cheese burrito is Tacoís Los Altos in Flagstaff.

And there's a nice downtown square with courthouse:

jeff

EDR
    I'd have to stay with my family, but only if I KNEW I could get a comparable job to the one I'm giving up. Prescott is great but very different from Portland. Portland is greener, has very cool central downtown area that is plenty big, but not too big. Prescott is much, much smaller with a small town feel. I'd prefer Prescott at this point in my life, but I have AZ roots so I'm biased.

I don't know how old you and your wife are but it sure is nice to have family around while raising your own. Still, the job situation is the key.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey Compression, I know it's a tough decision leaving family and roots, especially with a new little one. I did the same 18 yrs ago, when moved from Florida to Phoenix, but havent regretted it, esp. with all the state of Az has to offer. Keep in mind that flights to Portland are easy and fairly cheap from Phx. On a side note, I'll be traveling to Hood River in 3 weeks for windsurfing, and might try to get a ride in. Any recommendations on xc trails in that area. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSuperman
    Did not here any comments on the states oldest rodeo being in Prescott. Thats a good time as well.
    World's oldest.

jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by az1jeff
    World's oldest.

jeff
    World's Oldest continuous Rodeo

mtbr member
    One other advantage going for Prescott riding is that the majority of the trails and trail heads are only 5-20 minutes from town if you choose to live in Prescott. Not that much further if you choose Prescott valley.

Good luck with your situation regardless.

jeff

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    If you do manage to make it out this way, I would advocate living in Prescott proper. Prescott Valley is less expensive and boomed with the influx of Californians and big metro types unphased by a 15 -30 minute commute, but living in Prescott is probably ideal from a rider's perspective. If you live anywhere in town, you can ride to the trails. If you live even a couple miles out of town towards PV, that option isn't nearly as easy or even possible.

Regardless, it would be a rather serious change from Portland. Portland is green, lush, big, hip and young. Prescott is smaller, moh-brown, dry as a bone at times, not exactly uber hip, and a touch removed. These are not bad things, but much different from Portland.

I will also say, many of the people I know (and myself) lived here, moved away to beautiful and even exotic locations simply to move back. It has a draw. I also know people who arrived, hated it, then fell in love with the place.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    If you do manage to make it out this way, I would advocate living in Prescott proper. Prescott Valley is less expensive and boomed with the influx of Californians and big metro types unphased by a 15 -30 minute commute, but living in Prescott is probably ideal from a rider's perspective. If you live anywhere in town, you can ride to the trails. If you live even a couple miles out of town towards PV, that option isn't nearly as easy or even possible.
    This is highly true. I live in PV now, and I don't like it as much. When I lived in Prescott there were trails starting in my backyard (Pioneer Park). It would be pretty hard to live anywhere in Prescott and not have trails 5 minutes from your door (by bike).

Here are a couple pics I snapped today. Looking north across the open area. Prescott is surrounded by mountains and forest land on 3 sides, this is north of Prescott, looking towards Flagstaff (but you can't see it really well). Mingus Mountain is on the right, it rises up from ~5500 on the Prescott side to 8000, but drops down to about 3500 on the other side, forming a ridge and the Verde River sits below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jayem; 07-31-2009 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DocRock
    Hey Compression, I know it's a tough decision leaving family and roots, especially with a new little one. I did the same 18 yrs ago, when moved from Florida to Phoenix, but havent regretted it, esp. with all the state of Az has to offer. Keep in mind that flights to Portland are easy and fairly cheap from Phx. On a side note, I'll be traveling to Hood River in 3 weeks for windsurfing, and might try to get a ride in. Any recommendations on xc trails in that area. Thanks.
    Thanks again everyone. This has been really helpful. I am just sitting and waiting for the corporate HR people to get their act together. Oregon's unemployment rate is about 12.5%, which is scary. But my friend (same field, education, I got more experience than him though) got layed off last month, and found another job within a couple weeks, so there are still opportunities out there if I end up staying here. I would definitely miss the microbrews.....

And to hijack my own thread....
    Hood River area is awesome. You have to hit up world class Post Canyon. While it is more free-ride oriented (ladders, jumps, drops, etc), there are trails for all skill levels. There are many more trails in the Hood River area too, singletrack, etc. Most of which you have to drive to, but not too far.
    Throw a post up on the Oregon board, or search, lots of discussion about that area.

mtbr member
    Compression,
    Nobody wants to be forced away from their roots and family. But if your situation takes you that way, you should know that Prescott is great place to be relocated to. Heck, some Arizona residents would call you lucky (and did). If you read some of the comments here, or do another search about peopleís opinions about Prescott, most are saying the same thing. .that Prescott is an Arizona town that a lot of people strive to make their home, especially existing Arizona residents. FWIW.

Itís pretty obvious you donít want to leave your hometown. Thatís perfectly understandable. Not trying to sell you on Prescott, but just give you a bit of peace of mind that the Prescott option you have is a pretty good one should you choose.

Again, good luck with you situation.

Jeff

One of the problems you might have moving from Oregon, is how dry it is here,especially in the winter. I had some problems with my hands chapping in the winter after I moved here from Socal....and have known of folks who moved back after building their "dream home" because of skin issues....just thought I would put that out there.

I have never been to Bend, but I've been told that Prescott is a lot like Bend...for what that worth. (can anyone confirm that)

If you can swing it...you might think about renting your house out and just rent here for a year to see if you like it here...that way your not stuck here....just a thought

like I said I followed my job here (job lone gone now) not wanting to come.
    that was fifteen years ago,best move I ever did. coming from Oregon your golden...coming from SoCal we're hated universally

Cheers and good luck
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Great here, I do love the town and the people are super. Just not enough tech or gravity runs, BUT Mingus is getting better and then there is Flag and SoMo in the Valley. The climate rules!!!!!

Saucy Size
    The longer I live in Phoenix (been here since '80) the more I hate it -- except for the riding. I'm considering moving, and Preskitt is on my very short list.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I think we're going to get some rain soon today. Welcome relief. Gotta get a ride in too. Thinking Smith Ravine.

mtbr member
    I would second the suggestion about living in Prescott proper. While driving 20 - 30 minutes to a trail is not bad, it does get old after a while. I am in the process of moving to Prescott now and will have easy access to the Willow Lake area.

All in all Prescott is a good place to live. I mean we have 2 Walmarts and an In & Out Burger. What more can you ask for?

Jeff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azbeersnob
    I mean we have 2 Walmarts and an In & Out Burger. What more can you ask for?
    Three (3) In & Out Burgers and zero (0) Walmarts.

jeff

Master Gardener
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverbiker
    It has a draw. I also know people who arrived, hated it, then fell in love with the place.
    You aren't talking about me, are ya?

There is no perfect town to live in. You'll always be compromising something to gain certain payoffs.

The compromises in Prescott are that it's not lush (though it is green, by Arizona standards); there is no music scene to speak of (a shock if you come from a town with good music); very few great restaurants (though there are a few); a sorta cowboy subculture that seems frustrated that they're being displaced; poor schools (though there are a few great K-8 ones).

The payoffs for me are that we have a 12-month riding season (10 months if you don't like to ride in sub-40-degree temps); the trails are awesome and getting better; you can ride from town (I haven't had my bike on a vehicle for a year or more); the riding community is great and getting better all the time; we rarely have temps above the low-90s (I hate the heat) and the humidity rarely rises above the barely-perceptible level; monsoon season is incredibly beautiful. Like Jayem said, hot in the morning, then the rain comes down and it cools off really nicely for your afternoon/evening ride.

And when you live and ride at 6-7000', you will spank your old riding buddies when you go back home to visit.

There are 4 bike shops in town. 2-3 regular weekly group rides. A few great trail crews always working on keeping the singletrack nice and building new trail. In terms of mountain biking, this town stands in the top 25 in the U.S., in my opinion. In terms of lifestyle, it can be a poor fit for some families and a great fit for others.

I have a house, wife and two young boys. We chat sometimes about moving someday, but it's likely we'll spend the next 20 years here, which I would be just fine with.

Master Gardener
    Sorry. That post was way too long ^^^^. I was trying to keep it short, even, because everyone else had already said it so well.

Master Gardener
    Oh and I would say that in terms of topography, flora and fauna... Prescott is very much like Bend, OR. Not nearly as yuppie-hipsterish, however.

compression,
    I was just checking out some photos and info on Bend....I can see why you don't want to leave, one other thing that you should know about Prescott. As a town, it is NOT very bike friendly. The city seems to have a problem painting strips in the streets for bike lanes. even though the lanes are in the general plain, Seems at the last minute they vote no for the bike lanes...some of our city council people have their heads somewhere that and many of our motorist think we have no business using "their" streets. Anyway, we are all trying to change that. knowing that Oregon is a very bike friendly state I thought you should be aware of this up front...that said I do like it here, it's just a little frustrating sometimes.

Cheers
    Darwin was an Optimist

BTW...whats up with all the water in your river up there? we don't have that problem here in Arizona
    Darwin was an Optimist

Master Gardener
    Yeah, their river is all flooded. If they aren't careful, someone's going to get wet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by befoot
    BTW...whats up with all the water in your river up there? we don't have that problem here in Arizona
    Sure we do! I got my feet good and wet on a creek crossing this year. Granted, it was the one time and the water level was such that I had to unclip and drag my feet, but they were pretty wet. I think I even got my socks wet. That's hard core for AZ. Class IV crossing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    compression,
    I was just checking out some photos and info on Bend....I can see why you don't want to leave, one other thing that you should know about Prescott. As a town, it is NOT very bike friendly. The city seems to have a problem painting strips in the streets for bike lanes. even though the lanes are in the general plain, Seems at the last minute they vote no for the bike lanes...some of our city council people have their heads somewhere that and many of our motorist think we have no business using "their" streets. Anyway, we are all trying to change that. knowing that Oregon is a very bike friendly state I thought you should be aware of this up front...that said I do like it here, it's just a little frustrating sometimes.

Cheers
    Yeah... same problem here in Flag... with the drivers mainly. I printed up about 100 flyers with excerpts from the ADOT website regarding bicycles rights and responsibilities when riding on public rights-of-way. I've been distributing them around town, as has the rest of my family.

It's sort of surprising how many drivers really don't know that there are laws pertaining to bicycles on the road. It's even more surprising how many cyclists don't know that they are supposed to follow them.

Okay... end of rant. Hit me up if you want some of my flyers. I would gladly send them down to Prescott to help educate and make things safer all around.

Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    Y Hit me up if you want some of my flyers. I would gladly send them down to Prescott to help educate and make things safer all around.
    I have some but thanks. My S/O got them through ADOT its a small booklet called "share the road" easy to hand out...I just wonder if anyone reads them few seem able to read speed limit signs...end rant :]
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have some but thanks. My S/O got them through ADOT its a small booklet called "share the road" easy to hand out...I just wonder if anyone reads them few seem able to read speed limit signs...end rant :]
    Cool... yeah, we've been distributing the flyers pretty regularly. On every bike on a bike rack, under windsheild wipers, on public bulletin boards... I've even caught up with a truck that told me to 'get off the road, you're not a car' and handed the driver one through his window. I'm hoping that with links to the ADOT Multimodal Planning Division website and an email account I created for the 'cause' (bikesafe01@gmail.com) there will be some interest and some improvement in saftey and awareness out there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tls36
    , . I love Arizona, glad I chose it over Denver.
    You cant imagine how jealious I am of you!! TRYING VERY hard to leave Denver/The Front Range again!! Arizona has WAY nicer peps and WAY nicer climate!!!!

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by bkalkopf
    You cant imagine how jealious I am of you!! TRYING VERY hard to leave Denver/The Front Range again!! Arizona has WAY nicer peps and WAY nicer climate!!!!

Seriously? Because I have been gunning to move there. About to put house up for sale, and I have been eyeing Denver- Colorado Springs, specifically. I visited and dug that Incline thing, but more than that, vibed on what I IMAGINED would be excellent riding! No? Well this ain't good news. Of course, that said, Prescott is STILL my first choice.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Tara Thai in PV
    Thai Phoon in P

Hope that helps.
    Thanks to you and the others, for all the suggestions! Got in last night, from a week in Costa Rica, and first thing I did this morning was make a mad dash for Prescott for some much needed booze and buffet purging. And, ummm, turns out going up (and up and up and up and up) 62, was not so fun on a SS, 18T.Go figure.

Anyway- point being, I stopped at the Thai place on the way out of town, the one behind the Big 5, and it was excellent! Being raised in the SF Bay Area, I am a Thai food snob, and I can say that the pad thai was one of the best I have had. So thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll try 'em all.

mtbr member
    Thanks to you and the others, for all the suggestions! Got in last night, from a week in Costa Rica, and first thing I did this morning was make a mad dash for Prescott for some much needed booze and buffet purging. And, ummm, turns out going up (and up and up and up and up) 62, was not so fun on a SS, 18T.Go figure.

Anyway- point being, I stopped at the Thai place on the way out of town, the one behind the Big 5, and it was excellent! Being raised in the SF Bay Area, I am a Thai food snob, and I can say that the pad thai was one of the best I have had. So thanks again for all the suggestions. I'll try 'em all.
    Going up 62 on a SS, F that. better you than me . Had Tara thai on friday night, as always very good. Next time try Thai Phoon, a little better than Tara IMO. Just an old lady and I think her daughter run the place. Very authentic meals, the tum yum is very good. .
    SHITBIRD