Moving to Phoenix area, need some local advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Moving to Phoenix area, need some local advice

Hey Guys, I'll be moving to the Phoenix area at the end of December for flight school and was hoping I could get some locals advice. Already checked the visitors forum for trails so I think I'll be good there.

Training is going to be primarily at the Mesa-Gateway Airport (SE PHoenix) So from here are there any recommended places to live within riding distances to trails? Would like to keep the commute under 20 minutes to the airport.

Also trying to decide between my Niner Sir 9(hardtail 29er) or Stumpjumper (full squish) to bring down for the local trails?

Thanks in advance

Steve

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    is this one of those fast-track 6 month to ATP flight programs? if i was forking out 80k for one of those i would be wearing full armor on any bike ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flier2niner View Post
    Hey Guys, I'll be moving to the Phoenix area at the end of December for flight school and was hoping I could get some locals advice. Already checked the visitors forum for trails so I think I'll be good there.

Training is going to be primarily at the Mesa-Gateway Airport (SE PHoenix) So from here are there any recommended places to live within riding distances to trails? Would like to keep the commute under 20 minutes to the airport.

Also trying to decide between my Niner Sir 9(hardtail 29er) or Stumpjumper (full squish) to bring down for the local trails?

Thanks in advance

Steve
    there are 2 major riding areas in phoenix area -- south mountain and PMP ( although there are more ; these are the most popular in the metro area )

SoMo is about ~32 miles away from airport ( ~45min drive )
    and
    PMP is about ~42 miles away from airport ( ~55 min drive )

so if you want to base your living area around these 3 focal points, you will have to choose between living close to work or living close to the mountains ( or in the middle ) -- either way , stick near the freeways and that will help reduce commutes to either

as for a bike -- it all depends on what you like to ride, there are plenty of trails for both ( i would lean towards the stumpy IMO )

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zblee View Post
    ( i would lean towards the stumpy IMO )
    +2
    Oh Yes, The stumpy would be what you want here

I would get the Stumpy EVO if it were me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr View Post
    I would get the Stumpy EVO if it were me
    sounds like he already has them in his possession
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Depends on what kind of riding you like. Me? I would prefer a 29er hardtail here. But I prefer more XC(ish) type stuff than AM. For the record, not sure where you're coming from, but "XC" here is what people everywhere else I have ridden call "AM".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    Depends on what kind of riding you like. Me? I would prefer a 29er hardtail here. But I prefer more XC(ish) type stuff than AM. For the record, not sure where you're coming from, but "XC" here is what people everywhere else I have ridden call "AM".
    When i think of XC i think of riding on pretty smooth trails -- Trail 100 proper or Desert Classic -- anything else ( trails i typically ride) i try to categorize it as "trail" riding -- in between XC and AM.. but thats just me .. and then there are trails that are much "rougher" that i would consider AM or DH
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    When i think of XC i think of riding on pretty smooth trails -- Trail 100 proper
    Huh?
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Just another half mile...
    The closest riding area to Mesa-Gateway is the Hawes/Red Mountain trail system to the north of the airport (north Mesa). Easy commute from the Thomas road/Power Road area on Loop 202. Bring the full squish unless you are up for punishment on the rocky trails out here.

Thanks in advance

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Huh?
    eh?

mtbr member
    eh?
    Whatchatalkingbout?

Meatbomb
    Epicrider nailed it ... Find a place midway between the airport and Hawes and bring the stumpy.

mtbr member
    Whatchatalkingbout?
    just giving my opinion of what i 'think' xc is-- could be wrong tho

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epicrider View Post
    The closest riding area to Mesa-Gateway is the Hawes/Red Mountain trail system to the north of the airport (north Mesa). Easy commute from the Thomas road/Power Road area on Loop 202. Bring the full squish unless you are up for punishment on the rocky trails out here.
    wow, hawes is really out east ( for me; im in central phx ) -- i never referenced a map to see where it was exactly

ya i x2

this is pretty close to the airport ( in comparison of the other options i referenced above )

mtbr member
    just giving my opinion of what i 'think' xc is-- could be wrong tho
    T100 Proper is smooth?

parenting for gnarness
    consider living along the 202 out in that part of the Valley. You also have Pass Mtn and lots of road riding. There is some newer fun trail in the Superstitions that are closer. There is San Tan Park, ive never been heard its a sandpit.

My vote would be suspension. there is nothing buff here.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    T100 Proper is smooth?
    well .. uhh.. sort of ,... kind of?

maybe not the correct word to use -- but it is definitely a 'faster' riding trail then some of the others out in PMP

mtbr member
    If you are interested in traveling a little more, North Phoenix (where I live) has the Cave Creek Recreation Area, the Maricopa Trail and (my personal favorite) the Black Canyon Trail. McDowell Mountain is fun also.

mtbr member
    well .. uhh.. sort of ,... kind of?

maybe not the correct word to use -- but it is definitely a 'faster' riding trail then some of the others out in PMP
    My mistake. I was reading "T100 Proper" as "PMP Proper."

PMP, greatest riding in the city!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Guys thanks for all of the replies, can't wait to get back out West or Southwest in this case. Originally from Colorado but have been working in Washington State and am currently in Detroit... Phoenix is looking pretty great! Hate to leave the Niner at home so I might just have to bring both down. Again thanks for all the replies this has been helpful. Probably not a terrible thing the trails are not right out the back door might be too much of a distraction.

Cheers,

Steve

How much further ???
    there are 2 major riding areas in phoenix area --
    Not sure that is accurate. Depends on your definition of "major". Anyway as others mentioned there is Hawes which is close to the Mesa-Gateway airport as well as the Usery area which includes Pass Mt. Pass Mt is a technical ride and will keep you on your toes. It can also be linked with Hawes for some epic loops. You will also have the Gold Canyon or K-trail system out near that area too. Good mix of flow and technical to keep you smiling.

While somo is a great place to ride there are definitly plenty of other places to ride and definitly a few closer to the Mesa-Gateway airport.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

My other ride is your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    consider living along the 202 out in that part of the Valley. You also have Pass Mtn and lots of road riding. There is some newer fun trail in the Superstitions that are closer. There is San Tan Park, ive never been heard its a sandpit.

My vote would be suspension. there is nothing buff here.
    You can take a shot at my auctioned house tomorrow if you like...it's going for a steal...It's 2 minutes on a bike to the national forest/hawes trail system, corner lot, pool....what's not to like.

It's even pre-approved for a short sale by Skank of America....but only until 10am tomorrow...then we all get to buy a chunk of it.........

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks again for the responses guys. Any really good bike shops I need to check out. Would like to get to one that has a decent supply of maps of the area, much rather pick them up from a lbs than amazon.

Thanks,

Steve

mtbr member
    Buy Cosmic Ray's book Arizona Mountain Bike Trail Guide: Fat Tire Tales & Trails

parenting for gnarness
    Thanks again for the responses guys. Any really good bike shops I need to check out. Would like to get to one that has a decent supply of maps of the area, much rather pick them up from a lbs than amazon.

Thanks,

Steve
    goto epicrider's site above. or mtbikeaz.com
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote