Moving out west, thinking about AZ- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Moving out west, thinking about AZ

Hello everyone! I am preparing for my big move from Central IL out west! The thought of riding all year long is just too good to pass up, so I'm leaving everything behind, quitting my good paying job, and going for broke.

I have never been to AZ, actually not many places at all in the west. I've been to Vegas and skiing a handfull of times in CO, but real every day life experiences are nill.

I have an engineering background that I will fall back on, but I really want to simplify my lifestyle and focus on doing exactly what makes me happy, and right now that is riding the MTB, hiking, hunting, fishing...etc.

I'd like to hear from some locals about the AZ and what it has to offer, from both an adventurer standpoint and also economic. I have no problem renting a room or even camping for months before I settle down anywhere. I just want to find a place that has plenty to offer an outdoorsman!

thank you all in advance for your help, it is truly appreciated, and I hope to eventually meet up with some of you for some riding

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    AZ is great, but before you settle there, be sure to check out Albuquerque and Sante Fe.

EDR
    but I really want to simplify my lifestyle and focus on doing exactly what makes me happy, and right now that is riding the MTB, hiking, hunting, fishing...etc.
    Hard to beat Utah or Co. for the true outdoorsman, imo.

AZ is great if you can stand the heat in the lower half of the state. Yes, we ride year 'round even in Phoenix, we just do it very early or late. The median wage in AZ is low I'm sure, what kind of engineering backround do you have? Chemical, industrial, electrical? Jobs in those fields have in the past been fairly plentiful. Honeywell, Intel, Microchip, Mcdonald Douglas, Boeing, TRW, Motorola all have/had a large presence in the Valley. These jobs are being hit hard by the economy of course and many large companies are laying off, to one degree or another, or at the least have a 'hiring freeze' in place.

If you'd like a little more varied weather and some snow in the winter then I'd suggest northern AZ.

Over the Hill
    Problem is most of the places in CO, AZ, UT that I would like to live don't have good job markets. Yes you can move to Phoenix or Albuquerque but the thought living in or near a large city just does not work for me. Guess most of us will need to wait until we retire and just get our road trip fixes.

Dean

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    thanks for the responses guys. I have a mechanical engineering background but really don't care to do that sort of thing anymore unless I absolutely need to. I'd rather find something simple and less mentally demanding and just enjoy life.

I'm not sure about living in the heat, I was thinking more in northern AZ. I've already posted a thread in the Utah forum and will do the same in NM forum also.

Either way I will be traveling all summer and have friends in Phoenix I plan on visiting, so before then I'll try and figure out where and when a big ride is so I can meet up with new folks. That is one of the most exciting parts of moving from home, meeting new people that is

dirt visionary
    I like the fact that I can travel 30mins to get to 2 lakes, 45mins 2 more , 1.5hr to get to the mountains 7000ft up , 1hr cave creek area and in alittle over hour I can be in Tucson/Mt.lemmon area.

IMO Gold Canyon is nice area to look into as the Superstitions are right there and there are tons of trails and back country hikes in the area. Also it puts you less than an hour from the Pinal Mountains another great area for hiking ,hunting ,trail riding, Roosevelt lake , Canyon Lake, Saguaro lake,Payson is also close if you live east of Phx. Takes me 30-40min to get into Central/downtown Phx from this side of town .

Other nice areas that are east of PHX but still puts you close to most of the same stuff are Gilbert, Northwest Mesa ie. Las Sendas, Fountain Hills or east Scottsdale area east of the 101.

But Flagstaff would also provide alot including some great riding. It will also provide a slower simpler life IMO.
    Last edited by clockwork; 02-10-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    I'd say Flagstaff, Prescott or Sedona would suit you, though the cost of living in Flag and Sedona is higher than elsewhere in the state. Jobs are difficult to find there. Not to diss my Phoenix brethren but am not a fan of Phx... it's like a big wannabe Los Angeles. They've got some good trails but I dislike the big city... traffic, pollution, blech.

Don't count out Tucson... it's a bit rough around the edges but big enough that it can supply some bigger jobs and the riding here is supreme. No matter where you live in Tucson, there are killer trails within miles. Also about 5-10 degrees cooler than Phoenix in the summer (though when it's still 115 out it doesn't really matter).
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

I love bike!
    Gotta say, you've got some pretty big stones just packing up and moving without a job lined up somewhere. Job market is pretty bleak right now even for positions that are usually in high demand. More power to you though

My votes would probably be for either Flagstaff or Prescott. Preskit probably gets a bigger nod from me because it's a bit smaller and weather is more moderate throughout the year.

mtbr member
    As a non-AZ native, who is looking to to move to PHX, I have a bit of different perspective than many here.

Living on the east coast all my life I was lucky enough to land a job that had me spending a fair amount of time in Phoenix. I immediately fell in love with it. Though it is certainly a big city, its much different than we have here in the northeast. IMO, it offers some of the advantages of both a big city and rural area. Granted, I did spend most of my time in the very northern end of the area around the Phoenix-Deer valley airport.

Here in the east we have basically one long city that starts at northern VA and extends all the way up to Boston MA. The sprawl is horrible and to get any real back country riding, hunting, four wheeling, etc, you have to do some serious driving, usually 3 hrs or so. Also, these sports seem to generally be frowned upon by the local governments and population. Immediately upon arriving in Phoenix I could see the difference, the area seems to embrace the outdoor culture much more.

What I liked was I could get the benefits of a large city but in 2 hrs or so get some great wilderness, better than most anything we have here. Plus, with the exception of the city center, the area has a very noticeable"western feel"

I will say that these things in general are just a difference between eastern and western cities and you might be able to say that phoenix is "less western" than other areas but its certainly a welcome change for me and I hope I can work out a possible move to the area.

I certainly do see where you get the mini LA thing though. LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    wow, great info everybody, this really helps out a lot. I know it's going to be tough without a job lined up, but this is being driven spritually in a way I can't really describe. I just know it's time and something will come my way

I'll be traveling from May thru Sept checking out everything outside of Cali, Oregon, and Washington hoping that something somewhere gives me a sign to stop and stay for the winter.

I've always heard northern AZ was a great area with an amazing climate so I'll defnitely check it out.

thanks again for everyone's input
    BQ

mtbr member
    May 2007

... and if we just ... go west

[QUOTE=bquinn]Hello everyone! I am preparing for my big move from Central IL out west! The thought of riding all year long is just too good to pass up, so I'm leaving everything behind, quitting my good paying job, and going for broke.

I have never been to AZ, actually not many places at all in the west. I've been to Vegas and skiing a handfull of times in CO, but real every day life experiences are nill.

I have an engineering background that I will fall back on, but I really want to simplify my lifestyle and focus on doing exactly what makes me happy, and right now that is riding the MTB, hiking, hunting, fishing...etc.

I'd like to hear from some locals about the AZ and what it has to offer, from both an adventurer standpoint and also economic. I have no problem renting a room or even camping for months before I settle down anywhere. I just want to find a place that has plenty to offer an outdoorsman!

thank you all in advance for your help, it is truly appreciated, and I hope to eventually meet up with some of you for some riding [/QUOT

i moved out to N AZ back in June 1986 from Ohio, best thing i ever did.I was tired of reading about the WC skiing, biking and other amazing outdoor options in the Southwest and the Rockies,,,,,,Flagstaff is centrally located to some of the most amazing and diverse terrain and climates in the world, and the local NF's and public lands right out the backdoor or minutes away are pretty spectacular too. The job market is not healthy right now but most people get by somehow

EDR
    I've lived in Phoenix since '79 and if I could live anywhere in the state (without having to consider a job) it would be the Flagstaff area. Hiking, biking, skiing, hunting (I'm sure) are all minutes away. Reasonable driving distance to Phoenix/Tucson for (good riding) and southern Utah, even Moab and Colorado. If you didn't already know, Flag, at least the downtown area, and near NAU have a cool vibe. Not too big, not too small...not too tree-hugger-ish but a little...not too much of a college town but definately has the vibe of a lot of younger people in a small town....kinda like a large Moab if it was a college town. At least that's how I see it.

My mother lives in Pinetop. It's pretty great as well. Huge trail system (WMTS) and short drive to the ski slopes and lots and lots of pine tree's. The only thing I hate about small AZ towns is how long it takes to get from point A to point B. The main highway runs right through town and everyone needs to use it, at a posted speed limit of 35mph......

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Great info guys, I've been hoping to move to AZ from FL too. I was there 1 year ago and I loved it, drove all over the place from PHX to Tucson, back to Sedona, Flagstaff and GC. I had to endure another year here in humid and wet FL due to my wife's pregnancy (got a 5 month old baby girl now) and now that I was planning for real to move all the jobs and economy crumbled so Its getting difficult but I'll see if I can manage to do it this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I spent 10 years after college trying to figure out how to get back to Flagstaff. I'm here now and life is good. We have 2 feet of snow in town and lots more on the mountain right now. Good stuff!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn
    Hello everyone! I am preparing for my big move from Central IL out west! The thought of riding all year long is just too good to pass up, so I'm leaving everything behind, quitting my good paying job, and going for broke.

thank you all in advance for your help, it is truly appreciated, and I hope to eventually meet up with some of you for some riding
    If you want to hunt and fish, I'd suggest the state where I came from, Idaho. Check out the Boise area for jobs, but go north for fun. There are plenty of elk, deer, wild turkey's, etc. Fishing right around Boise isn't too good but you have Silver Creek and the Henrys's fork. If you like whitewater rafting, you can fish the South Fork of the Boise and have a great raft trip all at once.

Have fun with your new adventure!
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

just 1 more
    Don't move to Az if hunting and fishing are high on your list. You can do both here but it's really spread out and the system of having to draw a tag in a lottery to hunt for anything bigger than a rabbit just sucks. I've talked to people who have been trying for 20 years to get a tag to hunt for elk and can't get drawn. Others get a tag every other year. But if you like guns this is your state

One other thing, jobs aren't exactly growing on cactus here right now and it sounds like you want to leave the engineering field for something simpler. (and probably less $$) You won't be living large on less than $40K/yr out here.

It can be done, we did it in '05 and would never go back to dreary old western Pa.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjeff
    Don't move to Az if hunting and fishing are high on your list. You can do both here but it's really spread out and the system of having to draw a tag in a lottery to hunt for anything bigger than a rabbit just sucks. I've talked to people who have been trying for 20 years to get a tag to hunt for elk and can't get drawn. Others get a tag every other year. But if you like guns this is your state

One other thing, jobs aren't exactly growing on cactus here right now and it sounds like you want to leave the engineering field for something simpler. (and probably less $$) You won't be living large on less than $40K/yr out here.

It can be done, we did it in '05 and would never go back to dreary old western Pa.

Good luck
    Not to dig too deep in your life, but could you share exactly how you did it. As a person living in dreary old western PA I really need out.

Specifically did you have a job when you moved? I don't really have any family or friends there so when I move I will need to rent a place to stay. So its less than ideal to move without a job.

I have a mechanical engineering background and have sent some applications to local companies and haven't heard back. It seems like they aren't taking me serious probably because I'm so far away. Seems like a catch 22 to me. Can't move without a job, can't get a job without moving. Any advice would be helpful.

mtbr member
    I love AZ. I canít think of one place I would rather live. I would like to try Hawaii but I have been told the romance wears off after a year or so of being on the island.

If you have any savings, now would be the perfect time to take the plunge. The real estate market is prime for buying now. In some areas you can get a house for the cost of the land. If you can get a starter home for a cheap 35-40K, land a Wal-Mart greater, Home Depot or Costco job and be a ridiní MoFo while you wait for the higher end job market to come back. After you land a career job, buy the nicer home you want, rent the paid for place out which should cover all or majority of your mortgage, ride all the time, life will be good in sunny AZ. There you go, an easy recipe for success.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    to 'dascro'

I have no job lined up, haven't even applied anywhere. Right now I'm hoping to leave home with around 20k in cash and no debt. I will travel for a few months, camping everywhere I go and living as cheap as possible.

Even though this is not a good time to find work, I know if I am true to myself, treat others with the utmost respect, and work hard for whatever wage I make, things will work out for the best. This is a spiritually driven change for me, so I just know I will be taken care of.

I plan on finding a room to rent somewhere, hopefully really cheap. If not, I will camp until I find something that works for me.

mtbr member
    Going on the life experience quest is a time honored task. The folks who do these sort of things really make the world a better place. Gaining an understanding of a regions history, politics, land use and recreation opportunities is a great first step, and Arizona has a handful of things to take a look at.
    As far as making a living here, and I see many who try and end up leaving, is to keep debt to a minimum, expect to live lean for awhile, befriend folks who will help in jobs and places to stay, and of course, make it a priority to get out and see the country.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

In the rear with the beer
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Not to dig too deep in your life, but could you share exactly how you did it. As a person living in dreary old western PA I really need out.

Specifically did you have a job when you moved? I don't really have any family or friends there so when I move I will need to rent a place to stay. So its less than ideal to move without a job.

I have a mechanical engineering background and have sent some applications to local companies and haven't heard back. It seems like they aren't taking me serious probably because I'm so far away. Seems like a catch 22 to me. Can't move without a job, can't get a job without moving. Any advice would be helpful.

I grew up in central PA (life long Steelers fan), college near philly, then a couple years in dreary old western PA, then back to Philly for 10 years....finally got out 3 1/2 years ago. I was pretty lucky. A former colleague of mine worked for a company moving its HQ from PA to AZ, and let me know what they were hiring for in AZ. They happened to need someone who did what I did, he mentioned it to me right when I started to consider a location/lifestyle change so I jumped on it. Moral of the story...network. That gives your resume a leg up on others and your contacts can generally let them know you are serious about moving.

Its kinda tough to get contacts out of your general area, but possible. I'd suggest linked in, or something like that and look up old college buddies, high school buddies, etc. Plus, i've even seen the occasional post here of guys hooking up fellow riders with leads.

Maybe even try staffing conpanies to start out. I think CDI places a lot of engineers and I think still has an office in phx. Even if you hook up with a staffing person in your local area, i've seen them reach out to other offices for people who want to relocate (generally they still get a commission so its in their interest). (i've got a corp job in the staffing industry, so I see it every day)

On somewhat of a side note, I think Pittsburg has the 2nd highest # of cloudy days in the country, next to Seattle.....its always sunny here. One mental change I had to make when moving here was the attitude that if it was a nice sunny day I HAD to get out and take advantage of it (like i'm sure you do in PA), but then I realized every day is nice and sunny, so no worries, sleep all day, it'll be nice again tomorrow!

Lots of cars with Steelers stickers on them out here!!! Good luck on your search!
    Salvation Outdoor
    "Take it Outside...Again!!!"

to 'dascro'

I have no job lined up, haven't even applied anywhere. Right now I'm hoping to leave home with around 20k in cash and no debt. I will travel for a few months, camping everywhere I go and living as cheap as possible.

Even though this is not a good time to find work, I know if I am true to myself, treat others with the utmost respect, and work hard for whatever wage I make, things will work out for the best. This is a spiritually driven change for me, so I just know I will be taken care of.

I plan on finding a room to rent somewhere, hopefully really cheap. If not, I will camp until I find something that works for me.
    Good luck quinn...i've got a lot of respect for your courage and faith. I hope it works out for you.
    Salvation Outdoor

mtbr member
    Monkeybutt has the right idea, I like it!

dirt visionary
    to 'dascro'

I like your attitude not many can think that way! Myself I moved from CO. to CA. and got tired of CA. so I packed up one day and left to go back to CO. On the way thru AZ. again something happened and my insides told me to stop . I did and I am still here 10years later. When I did stop I had no family here ,no place to live and only whatever fit in my car. I wish you the best of luck where ever you decide to stop .

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdudecycling

On somewhat of a side note, I think Pittsburg has the 2nd highest # of cloudy days in the country, next to Seattle.....its always sunny here. One mental change I had to make when moving here was the attitude that if it was a nice sunny day I HAD to get out and take advantage of it (like i'm sure you do in PA), but then I realized every day is nice and sunny, so no worries, sleep all day, it'll be nice again tomorrow!
    Isn't one of these cities also the highest in suicides and depression?Sorry didn't mean to go OT.

mtbr member
    Once you get here, you kinda get the feeling that nobody is from here, so pretty much everybody you talk to has a story, which makes networking interesting (in a good way). Not that the natives (anybody here longer than 10 years) aren’t interesting, but the conversation of “what’s your story” seems a little easier.

But then again if you buy into the suburb lifestyle, like I have, you also come to realization that conversations with you neighbors don’t seem to happen that often. In the summer, when get home from work, it isn’t uncommon to just open you garage door, drive in and shut it. In the heat, chats are pretty brief. If you are lucky, you might catch somebody at the mailbox. I know my neighbors, and my neighbors know me, but I dare to say my neighbors don’t know each other.

As for the heat, yeah it’s hot, but at least when you go to the shade it really isn’t that bad. Unlike in really humid climates, where the shade does you no good. Have you ever considered starting a ride at (gulp) 6:00 am? During the summer in Phoenix, it is the norm here, and it ain that bad. You are messing with death if you are on the trails at 10:00 am.

BTW, thanks for considering Arizona, it kinda gives me a glimmer of hope that people are ready to move again. When I moved here a couple of years ago, it seemed like somebody new was always posting up that they are new in town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    I love AZ. I canít think of one place I would rather live. I would like to try Hawaii but I have been told the romance wears off after a year or so of being on the island.

If you have any savings, now would be the perfect time to take the plunge. The real estate market is prime for buying now. In some areas you can get a house for the cost of the land. If you can get a starter home for a cheap 35-40K, land a Wal-Mart greater, Home Depot or Costco job and be a ridiní MoFo while you wait for the higher end job market to come back. After you land a career job, buy the nicer home you want, rent the paid for place out which should cover all or majority of your mortgage, ride all the time, life will be good in sunny AZ. There you go, an easy recipe for success.
    Yes, Arizona is great. I didn't mean to leave the impression that it wasn't. There are lots of really great people around here, especially in the mountain biking community. Mountain biking here is good, and great if you don't mind driving a bit.

There is elk hunting up on the Mogollon rim, stretching from Flagstaff to Southeast Arizona. An old guy I met while on jury duty told me that the fishing was just fine, too -- you just had to know where to look. (He told me about a few good spots, but I'm not telling you ).

I'm told that the hippie lifestyle is more popular in Tucson, so you might have more fun there, or at least a better chance of meeting like-minded people until you decide to buy in to the system.
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro

We came to visit AF son at Luke AFB in March 04 at the end of that crappy winter and decided it was time to get out. Did a combined college (senior HS daughter) & location recon trip Nov 04, sold our small business April 05, flew out May and bought a house in 3 days in Cottonwood, moved mid June. 48 yrs old and no jobs lined up. Pa house sold finally in Sept. We both got decent jobs, complete career change, and will never go back to the rust belt to live. Crazy? yep. Might be a bit tougher right now but if it's what you gotta do you'll find a way.

On somewhat of a side note, I think Pittsburg has the 2nd highest # of cloudy days in the country, next to Seattle....
    Bigdude, you're right, Pittsburgh has 56 sunny days a year. You dropped the H in Sixburgh, are your sure you're a Steeler fan? Agree about the number of Steeler fans out here, we noticed it right off.

About the hunting/fishing here, yeah there's good of both if you want to drive half a day mostly. And manage to get a tag. Remember, in Pa unless you live right in the city you can usually hunt from your back door for anything and fishing is as near as the bottom of the nearest little valley. Just different expectations.

Elitest thrill junkie
    AZ Summer;
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    We came to visit AF son at Luke AFB in March 04 at the end of that crappy winter and decided it was time to get out. Did a combined college (senior HS daughter) & location recon trip Nov 04, sold our small business April 05, flew out May and bought a house in 3 days in Cottonwood, moved mid June. 48 yrs old and no jobs lined up. Pa house sold finally in Sept. We both got decent jobs, complete career change, and will never go back to the rust belt to live. Crazy? yep. Might be a bit tougher right now but if it's what you gotta do you'll find a way.

Thanks, some great stories here and seem to be putting me on the right track.

One problem I have is my situation is sort of in between others on here. I've been out of college for 3 years now and while I think I have some good job experience, I also have some debt. A modest car payment, student loans, etc and some furniture and other stuff I've accumulated over the past 3 years. I live pretty modestly but I only have about 10k saved up.

While I'm very accepting of roughing it for a while and maybe just renting a small room. I'd like to have a job that pays similar to what I make an as engineer currently in a short time after I move and soon after rent a decent apartment.

Right now I'm evaluating where exactly I want to go. I love phoenix but would be willing to go elsewhere in the western US if there was a good chance of landing a job as a mechanical engineer. Any suggestions anyone? Of course, flagstaff would be my first choice, but I don't see that happening.

just 1 more
    Dascro, I see you're in Johnstown, we escaped from DuBois . From the sounds of it you're having a b*tch of a winter eh? We had 1 inch of snow yesterday morning, our first

Bigdude, you're right, Pittsburgh has 56 sunny days a year. You dropped the H in Sixburgh, are your sure you're a Steeler fan? Agree about the number of Steeler fans out here, we noticed it right off.
    'H' must be sticking on my keyboard...considering i'm wrapped up in a steeler throw blanket type thing, wearing Steelers boxers right now I'd say i'm legit!
    Salvation Outdoor

EDR
    'H' must be sticking on my keyboard...considering i'm wrapped up in a steeler throw blanket type thing, wearing Steelers boxers right now I'd say i'm legit!
    James Harrison is the Devil!

Now I need another beer to calm my nerves.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 02-11-2009 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Dascro, I see you're in Johnstown, we escaped from DuBois . From the sounds of it you're having a b*tch of a winter eh? We had 1 inch of snow yesterday morning, our first
    Yep horrible winter. I usually don't mind riding in the cold but the weather has been unbearable for a months. Since december I've only had one bike ride. Of course today we had 70 degrees so I had to leave work early and get my second ride of the year in.

Being from Dubois I'm sure your aware of the large industry there (powdered metal) that is closely tied to the automotive industry. Unfortunately I work in that same industry. Each time I go into work it is like a game of russian roulette on who will be laid off. The stress is nearly unbearable and has begun to affect me outside of work. That, combined with the weather and everything else has me thinking I need a big change to a new career path and new scenery. I figure since I'm only 25, now is the time to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    James Harrison is the Devil!

Now I need another beer to calm my nerves.
    Don't type angry!! Harrison, second coming of the great and almighty Jack Lambert....Kent State alumnus and all....
    Salvation Outdoor

suvlako
    I know I am going to catch a lot of flack for this but, Tucson, Tucson ,Tucson. Do yourself a favor and check it out second and come camp in Molino basin off of Mt. Lemmon Highway. You could have trails ten feet from your Tent and in the middle of your ride you could take down a buck(I see them on every ride) . I have lived in Tucson all of my life and "lived" in Phx for a while and it just does not compare. Phx might as well be LA. Don't get me wrong it has it's + but too many - . Worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great to see this thread! I am too am looking to relocate to AZ. I went to ASU and stayed for several years. Work/life drew me away. But now I really would like get back there, being in Texas now just isn't doing it for me. Can any AZ locals reccomend any head hunters or reputable staffing agencies? I've been working the on-line websites, it seems that while companies actually have jobs posted, they're not hiring. I realise this probably the worst time in our liftimes to be job hunting, but they last few years have really shown me what's important. And to the OP, take the plunge! When I moved to LA in my twenties, I had no job lined up, but wouldn't give the friends I made or that experience for anything. What say you, MTBR guru's? Anybody need marketing/brand mgmt help out there?
    timing is everything,
    Moe

mtbr member
    I just moved here from central Illinois (Clinton) in October and all I can tell you is that I am never going back. I had an opportunity within my company to relocate out here and I jumped at it and haven't looked back. Now that I am here I am actually pissed at myself that it took me 35 years to get here. And yes I know I haven't lived here in the summer yet but I am positive that I prefer 110 degrees to 10 degrees.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    dascro I moved here January 2006 from of all Places Buffalo, NY area. I decided my quality of life and happiness was of primo importance. I was self employed back East and also sick of just about everything there - and yes, driving 3 hours to ride. Working M-F in the summer for that Sat AM ride only for it to pour rain for sometimes days in a row! Enough was enough turning 40 it was high time for a change. I started a new practice and decided to "risk it all" and things have been great. Once you live here for a while you will wonder how you ever lived back East? Year round riding, and excellent riding to boot. I have met the nicest people here, you will love our Mtn biking community. Yes, it is a outdoor active area and people come here because they want to be here. I could go on and on............pack what you need, sell the rest and get out here!!!!!! Would I EVER go back? NEVER! Nuff said.................PM me if you are looking for someone to show you around. Hope you become and Arizonan.

banned

Take Sedona Off Your List

From reading the previous posts I would take Sedona off your list. Even though Sedona has some of the best mountain biking in the nation for eleven months (Feb-Dec) of the year, you should look elsewhere because of reduced job opprotunities here.

We do have a lot of women riders in Sedona who would probably kick your butt, and if you have a big ego that might be a difficult adjustment.

If you end up in Flagstaff you can come down (23 miles) and ride with us when the skiing conditions aren't up to par. Flagstaff is fast becomming the premier summer and fall riding location in Arizona.

Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by traildoc; 02-13-2009 at 09:15 AM.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Even though Sedona has some of the best mountain biking in the nation for ten months (Feb-Dec) of the year, .
    Just wondering what the 2 months are you left out...Jan and ...

And you forgot to mention those women riders are....mature.

banned
    Just wondering what the 2 months are you left out...Jan and ...

And you forgot to mention those women riders are....mature.
    Jeff:

I screwed up . It is hard to believe we have only had one month of cold temps and rain or snow this year, where I chose to go to the spa for a mini workout, jacuzzi and steam bath rather than ride.

That being the case, today is a beautiful day not a cloud in the sky, let's go for a spin conditions look primo.

Doc

just 1 more
    Jeff:

That being the case, today is a beautiful day not a cloud in the sky, let's go for a spin conditions look primo.

Doc

OK. Someone has to make sure you don't forget the way home.

mtbr member
    I moved to the Mesa area from Northern Utah a year and a half ago, and I'd give anything to be able to split the difference and live in Southern Utah. Southern Utah has year round riding, if a bit cooler in the middle of winter, and even though it gets pretty hot, it actually cools down for a while in the morning and in the evening. To me, the summer here in Phoenix is just out of control. And although the winter in AZ is incredible, one thing that no one ever mentions is that during the best riding months, the sun goes down at 5-6 o' clock. That drives me crazy.

Other pluses of southern Utah: one hour from a legit ski resort, a couple hours from vegas, an hour or two from Lake Powell, an hour or two from a couple national parks, and the Redbull Rampage venue in Virgin.

No offense to the AZ lovers. I like it here. But if I had my choice...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ruppguts
    To me, the summer here in Phoenix is just out of control.
    Phoenix has year-round riding.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

just 1 more
    How's the riding on your side J-M?

To the Pa boys: Rode for 3 hours today on excellent singletrack. Might have gotten a bit of sunburn. It sucks

Elitest thrill junkie
    How's the riding on your side J-M?

To the Pa boys: Rode for 3 hours today on excellent singletrack. Might have gotten a bit of sunburn. It sucks
    No riding.

Prescott proper got dumped on, there's piles of snow everywhere in town, lots of snow in every crook and crevice out on the trails I'm sure. We still got it on top of most of the houses and stuff. Looks like early next week we'll get dumped on again, which will seal the deal for many trails for a while. I got a ride in last weekend right before it dumped, but if I ride on Sunday I should go to Sedona or something like that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Phoenix has year-round riding.
    yeah, I know, but not everyone wants to ride at night or in unbelievable heat. I'm hoping that someday I get acclimated, but right now it's just pure torture for me in the summer.

mtbr member
    May 2007

what's your secret TD?

From reading the previous posts I would take Sedona off your list. Even though Sedona has some of the best mountain biking in the nation for eleven months (Feb-Dec) of the year, you should look elsewhere because of reduced job opprotunities here.

We do have a lot of women riders in Sedona who would probably kick your butt, and if you have a big ego that might be a difficult adjustment.

If you end up in Flagstaff you can come down (23 miles) and ride with us when the skiing conditions aren't up to par. Flagstaff is fast becomming the premier summer and fall riding location in Arizona.

Good luck in your search.
    Trail Doc, how do you pay the bills in Sedona? You don't seem to need/have a job, ride damn near every day, have health insurance, travel to all the cool riding places etc,,,,,,,,,,??? What's the secret?

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    Trail Doc, how do you pay the bills in Sedona? You don't seem to need/have a job, ride damn near every day, have health insurance, travel to all the cool riding places etc,,,,,,,,,,??? What's the secret?
    Some think he's a coyote

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by elrancho66
    Good Question:

1. You must have a goal early in your working career. In my case it was to retire at 45. My dad was a donut maker and he retired at 55 so I new with hard work it was possible.

2. Decide you are not going to have children or pets.

3. Marry a wife who has the same goals and loves to ride a mountain bike.

4. Make your lunch and take it to work.

5. Buy a foreclosed house for 50% off and have roommates to help with the house payments. Take all the rent money and pay down the mortgage in fifteen years.

6. Search the supermarket sales sheets and never pay more than $2.99 a pound for everything in your shopping cart including liquids.

7. Eat hot oatmeal with a whole banana for breakfast. Cut up an orange and eat that rather than having orange juice.

8. Take auto mechanics in high school and never by a new car. Do your own automobile maintenance.

9. Buy a used motor home and live in Wal Marts for free rent.

10. Don't drive more than 50 miles per hour to save on fuel costs. Drag is a major contributor to poor fuel efficiency.

11. Do all your home maintenance.

12. When you find you can't quit work at 45 wait until you are 50 and recalculate.

13. In your early working career, work on weekends when the rest of your friends are out partying.

Members who have read this thread: 0