Mountain Boarding?- Mtbr.com
    Don't believe the Hype...

Mountain Boarding?

Anyone do any mountain boarding? A buddy of mine asked if I wanted to borrow his since he never uses it. So I had my dog pull me around the hood this weekend and I pulled my son around on the old Monocog. He dropped in to some little grassy drainage areas. It was really fun and feels very snowboard like. Except you can't stop like on a snowboard. It's a old school board with no brakes or foot straps. I can't really think of any good trails to ride it on though. It would have to be a long, fairly straight, fairly smooth down hill. The wheels are only 9" tall so you can't roll over anything of any size.
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

oh Lucky me
    we did some sand boarding at the dunes (skateboard w/ no wheels) it was pretty cool, felt alot like you said "snowboardish".

i have no idea where to go to do anysort of mountain boarding though...maybe some of the FS roads in flag?
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...

AKA shitbird
    Back when Sunrise was open for DH'ing didn't they rent mtn boards? It looks like fun, I'd give it a try on B-line at NRA.
    JRA

Maybe Papago? I haven't rode there in years. If it had brakes it would be way easier to find a place. It turns into a missile pretty quick. My younger dog saw a cat yesterday when he was pulling me. HOLE LEESHIT...Little bastard took off like a shot. I was flying for a minute and had to bail.

www.krackedskulls.com

Pivotal figure
    I remember a guy hitting one of the lines at Papago with one, not really jumping but close. He spent a lot of time in the dirt though
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

slow uphill
    horse trails and forest roads work well, especially if you have a dog pulling you. i'm pretty sure in tahoe they go down the same runs bikes do during the summer (ski runs). maybe snowbowl or sunrise?

Dog Boarding...

Great quick exercise for your dog, if they are strong enough to pull you. Roxy weighs about 60 lbs and I run about 185. She's wiped out after about 10 minutes. That's like me pulling a 600 pound load at a sprint for ten minutes, she's a badass.
    Last edited by luckybastard; 10-29-2008 at 01:17 PM.

www.krackedskulls.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It's difficult for me to believe that your dog is "wiped" after 10 minute...more likely it's the heat. Let us know how she does this winter. My dog albeit a bit smaller than yours 45-50lbs can pull me for hours if it's cool enough and I go 220. Nice dog BTW

slow uphill
    yeah - I have two sibes and they will rock on for a long time in near freezing temps... anything above 65 though and they're done after 15 minutes of pulling.

Quote Originally Posted by GodMadeDirt
    It's difficult for me to believe that your dog is "wiped" after 10 minute...more likely it's the heat. Let us know how she does this winter. My dog albeit a bit smaller than yours 45-50lbs can pull me for hours if it's cool enough and I go 220. Nice dog BTW
    Maybe, it was pretty hot today. She can go forever on the bike, but that board has a lot or rolling resistance.

www.krackedskulls.com

FReak
    That's pretty cool that your dog will pull you on a board. Now if I could only get Karl(German Short Haired Pointer) to do the same
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

mtbr member
    Cool.

I got an

How 'bout 29 inch wheels?

-- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

mtbr member
    Mountain Boarding looks pretty cool. I haven't tried it, but I want to. A Ski shop I used to work in had one for sale, I used to play around on it when the store was slow. That one had a hand brake and foot bindings.

The very first mountain bike video I ever saw, New World Disorder 1, had a whole segment of mountain boarders. Those guys had skills, but when they wrecked...ugly. Pretty neat seeing someone session a rhythm line on one though!
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

mtbr member
    This is the ultimate Mt Boarding movie. Not as good as the first Johny Tsunami movie though.

http://tv.disney.go.com/disneychanne...ohnnykapahala/

I would give it a go out at NRA AFTER getting some kind of brake on that thing.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    I would give it a go out at NRA AFTER getting some kind of brake on that thing.
    Yeah - I've tried slide checking like the guys who have skills do... similar to what you do on a snowboard...

hasn't worked for me... my face ends up being my brakes.

need brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Cool.

I got an

How 'bout 29 inch wheels?

On the Board? Check this out...seems pretty sweet.

https://www.dirtsurfer.com/en/produc...&subcat=3&id=1

The greenbelt in along the AZ Canal in Glendale/Peoria have some nice sized grassy hills. How about in Snottsdale? Haven't noticed any real big ones but have never really looked for any either.

Seems like great way to shatter some bones

www.krackedskulls.com

Quote Originally Posted by orangedog
    Yeah - I've tried slide checking like the guys who have skills do... similar to what you do on a snowboard...

hasn't worked for me... my face ends up being my brakes.

need brakes
    Lol...yeah, I'm too old to be trying any thing too ballzy. I hate being broken...

www.krackedskulls.com

slow uphill
    Not sure of any in Scottsdale... some dirt hills maybe in north phoenix in general, and of course the DC/McDowell area. but real big grassy hills? nope.

I think all the normal up north spots would be good though - payson, show low, flagstaff, prescott.

slow uphill
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybastard
    ...but that board has a lot or rolling resistance.
    forgot to mention - I took off the rear binding on my board, that way I can kick when we go up a gradual uphill or when we're on soft dirt. you lose a little bit of control, but not so much you notice.

Anyone do any longboarding? I've been having the dogs pull me a lot lately and love it. So I've have been thinking about trying out a longboard. I lived in the country when I was a kid so I never really skated and don't feel real comfortable and regular skateboards. I assume it's way more stable after riding the mountain board. Any recs on a good board?

www.krackedskulls.com

Members who have read this thread: 0