Mountain bikers - the unappreciated heroes.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Mountain bikers - the unappreciated heroes.

Ran in to a group of hikers today on the Deems Hill with their very heavy set friend on the ground clearly suffering from heat exhaustion and on the brink of heat stroke. I stopped to assist calling upon my medical background to begin assessment and resuscitation efforts.

I was very proud to see another random mountain biker stop and also assist. He was very good in engaging the downed hiker with conversation to monitor his state of alertness. We proceeded to cool him off and rehydrate the hiker. At one point he lost consciousness and we were close to CPRing him but by repositioning him we manage to restore blood flow to the brain.

We called the rescue and paramedics. I left when there were about eight people from the rescue crew at the scene and patient was alert and sitting up.

The moral of the story is that as bikers we have a responsibility to the community. In a way we naturally patrol the trail inadvertently deterring crime and able to assist hikers in need. It's time to proclaim the value and usefulness of having mountain bikers on trails in the park.
    They want to kick us off the trails and yet fail to see the positive impact bikers can bring.

I bet you this group of hikers will never look at mountain bikers as nuisance again.

BTW, there was a runner there that stopped by, told us to call 911 and took off.
    Last edited by metalaficionado; 04-13-2013 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    if you hadn't stopped, the ending could have been a lot differen't. thanks for representing mountain bikers very well. every positive biker/hiker experience, goes a long way towards keeping our sport alive.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great job, every time we do something something that sheds a positive light on us mountain bikers it's a great thing. Not as big a deal as your situation but a month ago while riding SMP I stopped and pulled a cholla and all its thorns out of a hikers leg while all her hiking partners just stood and watched then rode on my way.

Give it a crank
    Nice job assisting on the trail, glad it turned out well. Eight crew on the trail means they probably had a whole lot of emergency vehicles at the trailhead.

Pivotal figure
    Very nice! You actually motivated me to look into this whole "rep" dealy. You got my first rep ever
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

IPA tester
    Well done sir

I always have a small supply of band aids and other stuff handy Seem like I have only used it on hikers. Funny how most of them don't think about the " what if this happens" stuff.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Azpilot View Post
    Great job, every time we do something something that sheds a positive light on us mountain bikers it's a great thing. Not as big a deal as your situation but a month ago while riding SMP I stopped and pulled a cholla and all its thorns out of a hikers leg while all her hiking partners just stood and watched then rode on my way.
    That's great, way to represent. I wish all the mtbers at least say hello, smile and thank hikers for moving out of the way - which most of them do. Slow down a bit when passing - cuz they already freaked out by the bikers. No need set Strava records on every ride.

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Well done, sir.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    "You alright, have everything you need?"

"No, I don't need this goddamn flat tire."

Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice work Bart...well done!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good work. I live nearby and heard some sirens today; maybe those were the responders. I think as the weather continues to warm up, more people get caught ill-prepared, either with things like water, or with knowledge of where they are going and how a hike will take. I always try to talk to other trail users when possible and try to answer any questions they have. In my experience, they usually see us as experts of trail layouts, and usually we are. That said, your experience is not just a reminder about being good trail stewards; it's about being a good human being. Excellent!

banned
    Aug 2012
    Kudos to you, Sir !!!

mtbr member
    Good work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    Good work. I live nearby and heard some sirens today; maybe those were the responders. I think as the weather continues to warm up, more people get caught ill-prepared, either with things like water, or with knowledge of where they are going and how a hike will take. I always try to talk to other trail users when possible and try to answer any questions they have. In my experience, they usually see us as experts of trail layouts, and usually we are. That said, your experience is not just a reminder about being good trail stewards; it's about being a good human being. Excellent!
    So true.
    Yeah, this happen around 130pm. For a split second I thought about taking a pic because it was a party there 10+ people on that trail - but that would be bad taste.

Thanks for the appreciation, you really made this a feel good/kumbaya thread of the year.

mtbr member
    Good story and great job!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I bet you this group of hikers will never look at mountain bikers as nuisance again.
    They will look at us as a nuisance again the next time a biker (or group of) blast past them unyeilding. I was coming down VOAZ the other morning. Saw a guy and his lady friend coming up. I could see they were looking for a place to get off the trail but I happened to be in a spot where I could stop. They saw me stop and continued on past saying, "thanks. We're used to having you guys blast on past us."

We will ALWAYS have a bad rap because there are so few of us that actually care enough to behave properly and obey the order of yielding on the trails.

And nice work to the OP!

mtbr member
    Way to step up. It behooves everyone to get a WAFA or WFR class and do the periodic recert if they can. Even then, it's hard to say how you react when you're a first responder. Either way, it's better to be educated about wilderness first aid or you can do more harm than good.

livin' the dream......
    OP-Nice job with some some calculated thought on your part & the other rider who stopped to assist you. I have been your situation a few times in my life, on trail, in the office & at the beach, when people needed serious medical help and no one knew (except me) how to respond. Glad you just did not assume 'someone' else would help and roll on by. I was an EMT years ago, but those skills and knowledge go away as you don't use them. Basic First Aid / WFR might be in order!

Meatbomb
    Maybe we can get a group safety day set up for the MTBR First Aid training? Who offers a class locally ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Central Arizona Mountain Rescue might be a good place to start.

http://www.mcsomr.org/index.html

Maybe I can reach out and see if they do anything, and fill everyone in at the next GROAZ meeting?