mtbr member

Mountain Biker starting Trials

With a good amount of sheer stubbornness I have decided to quit going up and down trails for just a workout and have started teaching myself a few trials moves. I can do a decent trackstand, a few pivot moves, and a bunny hop. Today I executed my first true lurch and broke my cassette in the process.

I could use some company/help. If nothing more, just people to watch and see how it's really done. I don't have a trials specific bike (yet). I have made a few necessary changes to my Sugar 3 to get it going. Yes, I realize that is a big, heavy, full-suspension bike...but I'm just starting.

Anybody know of a group of guys to tag along with?

mtbr member
    haha good call getting on here right away. Jim, Desert Rat, can you help this guy out I told him you might be the guy to talk to getting with a riding group...

mtbr member
    You in PHX? I'm in Flagstaff and just acquired my first trials specific bike myself.

mtbr member
    I'm in Phoenix, Laveen specifically. Congrats on the new bike. What kind/type? stock, mod, modstock? I've been looking here and looking there for them. Wish I could just find a second-hand one to get into the whole thing. That and I wish I hadn't pulled my groin today being over-ambitious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cool to see other mtbrs interested in trials. There was/is a monthly "group ride" at a sweet little park up at Cactus/I-17 on the second Saturday of every month, but I haven't made it in so long I'm not sure if it's still happening. Check out observedtrials.net in the "West Coast" regional forum for any updates.

I'm just a beginner myself, and my "trials" riding lately just consists of me hopping curbs while my 5-yr-old daughter rides along side. But I love it and would look forward to getting out more. I also live in Laveen so send me a pm and we can hook up.

My buddy Azdesertrat also has a trials bike, but he lives in Chandler and will only ride at crazy hours and only if he doesn't have to drive too far, lol.

Al

lurker extraordinaire
    Crazy hours?! You mean, like, not at the ass-crack of dawn, and not 40 miles from my house? If that's what you mean, then I plead guilty.

Yeah, do what glove said (lol - "glove") and check out that forum in the West Coast section. The guys that do that group ride are cool and a couple of them are really good. Now that it's getting hot, I have planned to spend a lot more time on my trials bike since I can ride it at night when it isn't blistering hot.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the direction...I'll check it out. As for crazy hours and crazy drives, I'll be guilty of that too. Ha ha. I work rotating shiftwork and because of that I get 15 days off a month. With that said I have two weeks a month where I am bored out of my head during the week...and that's usually when I do a lot of my riding. Early/Late on weekdays.

mtbr member
    I can put you in contact with Billy H. He was doing weekly group rides last I knew...He is also on the westside.

I used to have an Echo Team but sold it about a year ago. Pretty much stick to moto trials now (GasGas).

Although I do have a 1996 Monty X-Hydra that I got new when I was about 11. I keep it purely for sentimental sake...

Geoff

mtbr member
    Well I'm currently saving for "a ring" for my girlfriend (yes, play Darth Vader theme in backgroud), but would love to find a used trials bike if ANYBODY knows of one or has ideas.

Chainslap, as for your buddy that does weekly rides...if he's in the Phoenix area and doesn'tmind having some rookie gawk at the skills and ask a bunch of questions, I would really appreciate the time.

mtbr member
    I got my older Planet X stock by trading my buddy for my Azonic DJ. If you are looking for a deal on a used bike look at pinkbike.com classifieds and observedtrials.net buy/sell forum

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starkynuke
    Well I'm currently saving for "a ring" for my girlfriend (yes, play Darth Vader theme in backgroud), but would love to find a used trials bike if ANYBODY knows of one or has ideas.

Chainslap, as for your buddy that does weekly rides...if he's in the Phoenix area and doesn'tmind having some rookie gawk at the skills and ask a bunch of questions, I would really appreciate the time.
    Ill PM you his contact info. He might also know of someone selling a bike as well...

mtbr member
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/642221/

Comments? Opinion? How hard would this be to turn back into a 1x9? Any input would be appreciated...
    "Do what you can, and for what you can't do, hang your head in shame because you should've been able to do it."

mtbr member
    "Do what you can, and for what you can't do, hang your head in shame because you should've been able to do it."

mtbr member
    That first one looks like a killer deal. But it'd def. set up more for street/DJ. Switching it to 1x9 would depend on the hub on the rear wheel (if it's cassette or freewheel) and if the tabs for the cables and hanger were still intact. If intact and cassette it would pretty easy. The second one seems is more traditional Looks like a good set up too. But I have no idea converted what the $ is.

mtbr member
    Well, it's official, that Planet X Pitbull is on it's way to Phoenix and will be my first trials-ish bike. I appreciate the input. Kinda intrigued by how it can fit 24" or 26" tires...that's a new concept to me.

On a more theoretical note, I was told that there are more or less three general areas/styles of trials. Each is mastered by a different rider that embodies it: Thomas Oehler, Ryan Leech and Danny MacAskill. In order to figure out how I will ultimately want my bike setup, I have to figure out which rider I prefer. Any truth to this bit of advice?

mtbr member
    Nice! The 24 or 26 probably has to do with both the geometry (high bottom bracket, head tube angle, etc.) and also that the rear v-brake mounts are movable. The Azonic Steelhead that I traded for my Planet X was the same. It's geo was supposedly able to work w/ 24 or 26 and the v-brake mounts were movable to fit different sizes. Your bike has a short stem and large front chainwheel which is what makes it street-ish. Customizing it to you would be easy. If you go more traditional, those bikes tend to have crazy low gearing near 1:1 and long stems. You'll jut have to rock it for awhile and find what works for you like any bike. You gotta check out Macaskill on youtube. The craziest MTBer out there right now.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've watched countless "Mega-Skill", Leech and Oehler vids. I get all pumped up within seconds. I'm the youngest guy in my workplace by 20 yrs and usually have nothing much in common with the old bastards. However, when I fire up some trials videos you might as well get out the popcorn because we're all gathered around in awe. As for the bike...I may be asking too much, but I would like it to be somewhat trail-able. I'm more interested in bouncing around rocks and rails out in nature than benches and walls in a park. So I'm thinking 1x9, front shock, and move up to 26's (all when money willing).

Members who have read this thread: 0