Mountain bike zine?- Mtbr.com
    Bikes, Beer, and Sex

Mountain bike zine?

Who wants to help me start a local mountain biking zine?

wretch
    tell me about it. . . ive got a little free time, and this is something Ive thought about doing. . . Format, printing, publishing, etc. . .??? I'm willing to throw logos and design/layout if it shapes up.

mtbr member
    Yeah, That's a great idea. I'd be in 100%.

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Az needs one. There is more then enough of a scene and support. I'll subscribe for sure, but please give it more content then racing and product. Stories on trails, locations and people would be sweet.

mtbr member
    I think there would be a great demand for somthing like this. It should definatly have alot of trail reveiws and stories, there's plenty of other mags to cover all the racing.

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

more beers, lees gears.
    well, i am a web developer, and i know we have some great photographers and print designers here.

i think the key is that you need to find some one to head it up, and run the thing like its your job.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

sixsixtysix
    I have toyed with the idea of doing a print zine, but its pretty cost prohibitive without a good deal of sponsorship and ad revenue which is why I have just stuck with doing a website with azfreeride.com.

On that note, I am partnering azfreeride.com with nmfreeride.com (thanks to DHFr's connection) and we are going to be launching an umbrella network covering all of the southwest under swfreeride.com. I am basically looking to take the site in more of online magazine covering all the locations that we ride with trail stories, road trip reports, events and local bike manufacturer coverage from all facets of riding. (Freeride doesn't just have to be about big jumps and crazy hucks. Its more about getting on a bike and riding whatever lies in front of you.)

The general idea is to make it much more graphically pleasing and more of a print style than just another blog style site.

The CMS we are putting in place is completely driven by the ability for as many people to contribute as possible in every role from a simple user to editors and publishers and the content will be syndicated throughout all the sites to reach as broad as viewer base as possible.

If anyone is interested in helping out with content of any and all kinds pertaining to MTBing in the southwest let me know, the more the merrier

wretch
    pm sent B

mtbr member
    That would be great to have a mag based out of AZ.

It definitely will not be easy to start. If you plan on having it a national magazine, start up cost will run between 3-5 million. I would think a local only magazine could start up for much less.

You could start up with an E-magazine first. Start a website where people sign up to get monthly E-magazines emailed to them or read them from the host site. This would keep costs down, let you get a feel for demand, feel out the target market and possibly perk some interest from potential sponsors etc.

oooh, shiny...
    Count me in.

Fly High!
    the name could be INCLINE for all those pedaler's !!!!!!!
    "Its like Church to me, Like Church is, what it is for other people"

more beers, lees gears.
    im with RidingRiot.

To reach the bulk of riders in AZ, it can not be a niche name like azfreeride.com. While i understand its all about riding whats in front of you, I am not gonna pick up a mag with that name. Im an XC guy. While I can ride a lot of stuff, and like a 5" trail bike here and there, im not catching much air, nor do I care to read much about it.

its just a tough sell to convert a niche mag to the masses.

But I do think that azfreeride.com looks like a well built site, good looking article base, and i am sure it reaches its intended audience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    im with RidingRiot.

To reach the bulk of riders in AZ, it can not be a niche name like azfreeride.com. While i understand its all about riding whats in front of you, I am not gonna pick up a mag with that name. Im an XC guy. While I can ride a lot of stuff, and like a 5" trail bike here and there, im not catching much air, nor do I care to read much about it.

But I do think that azfreeride.com looks like a well built site, good looking article base, and i am sure it reaches its intended audience.
    Pretty sure RR is kidding, as he rides a Blindside and likes to jump.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Count me in as well. Like to help anyway I can.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    im with RidingRiot.

So you're basically looking for a local version of "Bike" or "Mountain Bike Fiction"?

I hate to say, if your an XC guy and you're not racing or doing mega epics, the chances of anyone picking up a magazine to read about it are pretty much none. It's about the equivalent to housewives reading a magazine about other housewives trips to the grocery store. People want to read magazines for information and inspiration.

Oh and Riot, your mag would be called "From Clap to Braaaap!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Oh and Riot, your mag would be called "From Clap to Braaaap!"
    Awesome.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Awesome.

mtbr member
    ...yeah, yeah, yeah, but tell me more about the first centerfold

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by u2metoo
    ...yeah, yeah, yeah, but tell me more about the first centerfold

There ya go. Babes on bikes would be a seller

parenting for gnarness
    It's about the equivalent to housewives reading a magazine about other housewives trips to the grocery store.
    maybe you should check out their business model:
    http://phoenix.momslikeme.com/member...ups.aspx?p=128

if you build it, I will help on the geekery side. My calendar is too full any lead role.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Iím with RR.

I think it would be virtually impossible to have a FR/DH mag and try to compete with the national mags. However, if you had REAL deep pockets, could pound sand for a while, provide something different/better/original and eat into the national mags subscribers then maybe.

Why not a mag that covers all biking? That way you have a much more broad market and a better chance for success?

mtbr member
    I love the idea of trails, locations, and people thrown out by Raising AZ. I think a Babes on Bikes would be a great annual print, or calendar idea for a marketing launch. I would be happy to contribute or discuss further.

I think features on weekend trips, where to stay, and what to do would allow you to appeal to outside markets as well.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

more beers, lees gears.
    So you're basically looking for a local version of "Bike" or "Mountain Bike Fiction"?

I hate to say, if your an XC guy and you're not racing or doing mega epics, the chances of anyone picking up a magazine to read about it are pretty much none. It's about the equivalent to housewives reading a magazine about other housewives trips to the grocery store. People want to read magazines for information and inspiration.

so whats wrong with wanting a mag to cover it all but locally? i have raced, and once a year do a epic week long destination trip with some other guys.

i guess i am like akamonkeybutt

Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Iím with RR.
    Why not a mag that covers all biking? That way you have a much more broad market and a better chance for success?

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    I'm in the process of getting a better printer and camera right now for this. I'm thinking I'm just gonna put it out on printer paper and throw it into some shops. It'll definitlty be more trail oriented rather than racing. If anyone wants to write or take pictures for it let me know

mtbr member
    I got some camera skills and need to put this equipment to work. Babes on bikes I got connections still to models. I guess at least once a yr there might have to be Dudes on bikes for the women readers.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

oooh, shiny...
    If you want to put together a shoot I would be more than happy to get some great shots for you. Maybe some portraits and some riding shots. I've been looking to shoot some stuff along these lines anyway, this would just give me a good excuse to get out and shoot.

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    I got some camera skills and need to put this equipment to work. Babes on bikes I got connections still to models. I guess at least once a yr there might have to be Dudes on bikes for the women readers.
    nah we can have a lesbo edition

Chunky Monkey

Zine

MM,

Could I deliver 'em on my bike?

Thx,

John

mtbr member
    Please tell me how long "Mountain Flyer" magazine has been around. I made a trip to the Frys on 90th st and Shea, and the cover caught my eye passing through the section- Cyclocross team mafia rider. I worked at local shops up until just over a year ago, and Ive never seen or heard of this mag.

Great photography issue too, covering various races- dh, endurance, xc etc. Like anything, starting up the project requires sacrifice, determination, and risk. I would definately support a publication with the right ideas and goals. I know several professional photographers, from internationally known Nobel Prize photographers, to local AZ Highways photographers- which more importantly funnels a realistic network.

JohnniO
    I used to read a lot of cycling Mags. I was forced to suffer through the "a little someting for everyone" because that's what was there and the Mags needed to do that to stay in Business. Along came the internet and I can now read websites and blogs with only the stuff I'm interested in. A magazine about one type of riding usually won't make it and the ones with a little bit of everything have so much that you don't care about that it's not worth the time or money to read.

The web is free and targeted to exactly what I want to read. Mags cant compete.
    Magazines and Newspapers are soon to be just a piece of history.

more beers, lees gears.
    Sorry to dig up such an old post. but i found a great resource.

http://magcloud.com/

Basically, cafepress for magazine.

Good news coverage on the NY times
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/30/te.../30mag.html?em

mtbr member
    Cool man, good resource.

I think the original intention was to make a magazine geared toward the local riding community. The people that wanted to really spearhead the magazine happened to be DH/FR-oriented.

But honestly...the most "passionate" riders I've seen...don't care about the different categories of mountain biking...they can compete in endurance races, huck a 20 foot drop, ride a road century, hit a rhythm section, roll XC on their SS, shuttle a trail...whatever.

They aren't divided by cliques and all they live, eat, breath and experience is mountain biking. So you can be sure that the magazine created by these people would be quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    I think he was born around the time of the Chernobyl fallout which would explain a lot.

more beers, lees gears.
    yeah, having a print on demand deal could keep costs low low low.

Members who have read this thread: 0