A plethora of pinatas

Mountain Bike by the Moon Light - Sat, 7/25/2009

Charge up the lights! Who is in?

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/mcdowe...x?EventID=8678

Mountain Bike by the Moon Light - McDowell Mountain Regional Park

The award winning Mountain Bike by the Moon Light is a night time ride on the Pemberton Trail (15.4 miles). The Pemberton Trail is not very technical; however, night riding will make it more difficult. Helmets and lights will be mandatory on this ride. Only lights designed for use with mountain bikes with at least a 3 hour power source are acceptable. All riders must sign in and out at the trailhead as they start and finish their ride. Everyone needs to be off the trail by 9:30 PM. This is not a guided ride. Volunteers will sweep the course to ensure all riders return safely. For more information call 480-471-0173.

Date: 7/25/2009
    Time: 7:30 PM - 10:00 PM Duration: 2 hours
    Registration Required: No
    Fee: Included with entry fee to the park

Address:
    16,300 N. McDowell Park Drive
    Scottsdale, AZ 85255
    Marty

Happy trails
    hope the rains stay away
    i'll be out on the SS again,love this trail at night !
    Aaron

mtbr member
    It's on a Saturday this time

Happy trails

Holy rolling resistance batman!

It rained right before the start time,which made alot of the trail a slog fest.The first time i"ve had to pedal the whole way down the backside fireroad! Was still a good nite ride.
    Aaron

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Turnout?

How was the turnout?

Happy trails

100 riders...

i turned to the last page to see as i was signing out.
    better than the last one i believe.
    Aaron

I'm pretty surprised that this went off. I saw it pouring down there about 45 minutes before the ride and figured there was no way they'd let people on the trail - even if the rain stopped. So 100 people rode on a wet trail? I'm guessing that means the trail will be a mess of tire sized ruts now. Nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb
    So 100 people rode on a wet trail? I'm guessing that means the trail will be a mess of tire sized ruts now. Nice.
    I rode out there Sunday morning. There were some sections that got very little rain at all, but other spots that were quite rutted. The worst spot, IMO, was around the intersection of the Pemberton and the Coachwhip. There were spots along the service road that were bad too, but the road is wide enough to find areas to ride that are rut-free.

A plethora of pinatas
    It was an awesome ride and a great turn out. It is always to get a little dirty on a ride.

I would not worry too much about the some tire ruts from riding in the rain out there. A few years ago they had the Dawn to Dusk race out there during the worst rain storm in recent history. You had hundreds of riders doing multiple laps all day long during that event. The trails recover pretty fast from tire ruts. I think the erosion is a greater concern.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...9&id=620913833
    Marty

Air Sucker
    The ride was a lot different than usual since the trail was a mud bog, however My beef was the 6 people that signed out and didn't sign back in.

At 11:30 PM we found one person walking on the trail (he was OK) but we spent till almost midnight looking for the jerks that couldn't be bothered to sign back in.

Rand was really upset. If McDowell stops doing night rides it will be due to the inconsiderate jerks that cant be bothered to follow the rules.
    Just a bald guy biking the blubber away

Scott
    Gilbert, AZ

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by swarga
    My beef was the 6 people that signed out and didn't sign back in.

At 11:30 PM we found one person walking on the trail (he was OK) but we spent till almost midnight looking for the jerks that couldn't be bothered to sign back in.

Rand was really upset. If McDowell stops doing night rides it will be due to the inconsiderate jerks that cant be bothered to follow the rules.
    That is a real shame. It seems like every time there are a few riders that do not sign out and the park is left seaching to make sure they are not out there. I hope a few do not ruin a great thing for us all!
    Marty

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by swarga
    The ride was a lot different than usual since the trail was a mud bog, however My beef was the 6 people that signed out and didn't sign back in.

"Jerks" is too nice a name for those who don't sign back in. I hope those names are remembered and not allowed to ride next time. Wonder whether it might be a good idea to require a name and cell phone number when signing at the start?

Why was the person that was found at 11:30 PM walking? Bike troubles or what?

Actually it was a great ride, even with the wet trail. A few extra pounds of mud never hurt anyone!

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

pedaller
    I "heard" the guy was freaked out by a run-in with a rattlesnake but that's 2nd hand.

Who knew there were dangerous creatures out in the desert at night??
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Meatbomb
    Were the "jerks" found still out on the trail ??

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006
    The rain made the trail super sticky and you could scream down the trail with less thought about sliding out in the sand. Super hot - super sweaty - SUPER TIME!! Bummer about the sign out dudes - maybe we can stress the need at sign in! That is a great oppty we have out there - would hate to loose it!

Members who have read this thread: 0