mormon national times- Mtbr.com
    It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005

mormon national times

What are your best times to ride up the mormon/national trail to the saddle (I usually leave off the last little bit to the parking lot for my lunch rides), and then back down again (national only going down)? I am curious how fast some of you guys can do this ride. I see a lot of regulars out there. I shoot for 40min up and 20min down.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Time means nothing to me unless it's the FOTP and I need to be there before the cut off time. I'd rather ride at whatever pace I feel like (or the group that I'm with) and maybe stop to try some moves over, especially going up National. Just my 2 cents.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    yah FOTP got me to thinking about this, I was wondering how fast the fast guys really are.

mtbr member
    Fast. No...really. FAST. I hiked most of that climb, as I wanted to make the cutoff to Buena Vista. I was blown away by how fast those guys could ride up that stuff. I was hiking up and they cruised past me.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    yah FOTP got me to thinking about this, I was wondering how fast the fast guys really are.
    If you're really curious check out the finishing times for the Squealer (full length of National) at the FOTP website. There are some unreal times there.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    anyone know exactly where teh squeeler ends?

I am Doctor Remulak
    anyone know exactly where teh squeeler ends?
    San Juan parking lot.

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    San Juan parking lot.
    And you have to take National the entire way (no Mormon) on the Squealer. And there is an easter egg hunt along the way that usually involves a strenuous hike/climb - maybe a 10 minute delay for those running, more like a 20 minute delay for someone like me. Best way to gauge yourself against other riders is to join a group ride and see where you end up in the bunch. If I beat you, you are pretty slow. If you beat singlespeedsycip, you are pretty fast.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    durtgurl,

yeah, I'd like to make one of the group rides you seem to put on. Maybe next time there's a end to end route I'll be able to make it. I haven't tried the last bit of national before so, this squeeler route sounds fun, it's been a goal for some time. I usually ride to the saddle at lunch time for my regular rides, I don't usually have time to do a end to end.

so singlespeedsycip is the strong guy huh? How fast does he make it up the hill?

Kathleen in AZ
    durtgurl,

yeah, I'd like to make one of the group rides you seem to put on. Maybe next time there's a end to end route I'll be able to make it. I haven't tried the last bit of national before so, this squeeler route sounds fun, it's been a goal for some time. I usually ride to the saddle at lunch time for my regular rides, I don't usually have time to do a end to end.

so singlespeedsycip is the strong guy huh? How fast does he make it up the hill?
    When you say "the saddle", do you mean the saddle just to the east of the Buena Vista parking lot? Usually on group rides we are never out racing or trying to see how fast one can get from point A to point B. Only on that last C2C2C prior to the FOTP did I encourage everyone to go non-stop up Mormon/Nat to see if we could make the 1-hr cut off time. I could but would likely not be able to go much faster. I am not sure of how much time it takes the faster guys to do that ride. If you are doing it in 40 mins, I'd say that's a pretty good speed but there are those out there faster. There are always those who will be faster! If you are really all about speed and seeing how you rank, consider doing the MBAA race series!! None will take up up National (except the unofficial Squeeler) but the race scene can be really fun for a season to get to know peeps and work on your own skills/speed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    And you have to take National the entire way (no Mormon) on the Squealer. And there is an easter egg hunt along the way that usually involves a strenuous hike/climb - maybe a 10 minute delay for those running, more like a 20 minute delay for someone like me.
    Yes and no - it's been run entirely on National the last two or three years, but used to be Mormon/National. This year Chewy Aitken's time of 1:34:52 missed the course record by around 1 minute or so, but that record was set on the old Mormon/National route, so I reckon you could say that Chewy's time is the record for the solely National route.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    oh I used to race the mbaa in the 90's, but I have a family now, and it's really not an option so I just ride for fun too. But on my lunch rides I like to race myself to the top, was only wondering what is considered fast up to the top. Not trying to show up anyone, or offend anyone by inquiring. I am not some crazy racer boy or something. Was just curious what this bunch of people thought was fast, so maybe I could shoot for that, and maybe ride with y'all someday. I've been passed up by some wicked fast riders many times, I'm well aware that there is always faster people. AZ mikey's idea of loooking at the squeeler standings was a great idea. The course record is 1:32 to san juan. Which is just unreal! looks like the regular winning time is aroudn 1:45. Amazing.

BTW, I've learned a lot about my local trails just from reading this forum, it's nice. I never knew about FOTP and the squeeler and it was right under my nose all this time. I even know some of the guys who ride in it.

Also, what I meant by the saddle is exactly what you said, the highpoint right to the east of the parking lot. Lots of people seem to use that is the turnaround point for a shorter ride.

recovering roadie
    oh I used to race the mbaa in the 90's, but I have a family now, and it's really not an option so I just ride for fun too. But on my lunch rides I like to race myself to the top, was only wondering what is considered fast up to the top.
    If you like to race yourself, you should check out a new computer - I think it's the Garmin 305 or something like that. It works by GPS and you can race yourself if real time. Pretty amazing.

mtbr member

Times

I usually do that ride going up Nation or Mormon (the time is the same) in about 1 hour 15 a little faster if were pushing it I don't know how fast coming down but we are usually down in twenty at the most that with hikers and other riders on the weekends. I am pretty slow on the way up have lots of riders passing me.

Hope that helps I am always checking time up to just to see if I am getting better or if I still Suck. I still Suck!

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    Yes, that garmin is a neato product. One of my friends runs/rides with it and he seems to get a kick out of it. You can also race other people's times with it when you upload your rides to the server.

Members who have read this thread: 0