monday 9-7 c-ride at pemberton- Mtbr.com
    im4Gsus

monday 9-7 c-ride at pemberton

a c-ride is a relaxed, casual and social event of intermediate xc riders who ride non-technical trails at a slower pace. we take breaks to enjoy the scenery, chat, snack, take pictures and catch our breaths. we also try to ride together as a group, not riding as fast as possible to conquer the trails. if the c-ride describes you, please come!

we'll ride the trail CCW. any takers?
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    a c-ride is a relaxed, casual and social event of intermediate xc riders who ride non-technical trails at a slower pace. we take breaks to enjoy the scenery, chat, snack, take pictures and catch our breaths. we also try to ride together as a group, not riding as fast as possible to conquer the trails. if the c-ride describes you, please come!

we'll ride the trail CCW. any takers?
    Starting time?

mtbr member
    hey i'm thinking about joining you. only reservation is that pemberton gets nasty muddy if theres been much rain. not sure how much water they've had at mcdowell? what is your estimated f.i.p?
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW
    hey i'm thinking about joining you. only reservation is that pemberton gets nasty muddy if theres been much rain. not sure how much water they've had at mcdowell?
    I rode there this morning. The trails are in great shape.

im4Gsus
    sorry guys, RTR is 6:15am.

kevin: you're NOT a c-rider so you're NOT invited.
    (i know you were trying to help!) thanks for the trail condition info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm going to plan on being there. Can you give me estimate on what time you think we will be finished. And location to meet up at.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerBoy
    I'm going to plan on being there. Can you give me estimate on what time you think we will be finished. And location to meet up at.
    9er, we don't have a set plan for finishing but from previous experience, 2-3 hrs. we ride ccw to the rocky ridge, turn around and go back to bluffs. however, if you need to cut it short then, on the first pass, you can take either bluffs/granite or tonto back to the car.

we'll meet at 6 at the horse staging parking lot. drive ~3.5miles past the park entrance, past the visitor center and the picnic/RV area. take a right on shallmo drive to the parking lot. i'm the old lady with a white turner sultan on a dark red honda element .

mtbr member
    Hey I'll be out there, I really need to get out of the house! See ya'll in the Morning!!!

How do I do that?
    I'm gonna try to make it tomorrow if I can. I finally got my hitch bolted on to the car this past week and wondered where I should head out to first. I just figured out where you guys are meeting on Google earth so no worries there. I'll see everybody in the AM

Actually, how long do you think it might take to get there from say Shea and Tatum/51?

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Actually, how long do you think it might take to get there from say Shea and Tatum/51?
    i'd say 45 minutes. if you leave at 5am that'll give you plenty of time. take shea to pallisades, left on fnt hills blvd unto the park. it's $6 to get in.

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    i'd say 45 minutes. if you leave at 5am that'll give you plenty of time. take shea to pallisades, left on fnt hills blvd unto the park. it's $6 to get in.
    Got it, thank you! Now I just need to somehow manage to fall asleep early

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Gong
    Now I just need to somehow manage to fall asleep early
    me 2, g'nite!

How do I do that?
    It was a real pleasure meeting you guys today, thanks for the guidance, I had a real good time. So there is something other than the Phoenix Preserves! Now that I have a rack set up, I'm going to have to do some serious exploring in the coming months

Took a spin on the Sport loop after all and boy, am I glad I did. I had a huge smile on some of the sections. Next time, I'm going to head out there first to fully enjoy it while my legs and feet are still capable

Thanks again!

-Chris

Team Tortuga
    I took some friends who are just starting to ride (this was their 3rd) on the sport loop Sunday. Needless to say they were all smiles afterward. If you didn't get a chance to take the technical loop off shoot from the sport loop try that next time and then to make it a longer ride take the sport to tech to long loop. As Cosmic Ray would say "Primo trip, well worth the journey!"

How do I do that?
    The one pic I took. Daryl coming down.......was it Bluff?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yeppers...there I am peg'n the tach, rattle snakes are head'n for the hills, lizards are runnng for their lives. Mostly from hearing me hacking and coughing my way down the Bluff ....
    Great day out there today, nice meeting you Chris, and it was nice running into Waltaz and Coyotekis on the trail. Thanks Sativa!!!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram-On
    Yeppers...there I am peg'n the tach, rattle snakes are head'n for the hills, lizards are runnng for their lives. Mostly from hearing me hacking and coughing my way down the Bluff ....
    Great day out there today, nice meeting you Chris, and it was nice running into Waltaz and Coyotekis on the trail. Thanks Sativa!!!
    Nice to see you guys out there...lots of people out there...also ran into Jeff and Nancy as they were heading back...

We looped around Pemberton and headed up Tonto Tank. Towards the top of TT, I was riding along, with De' right behind me, when I rolled right up on an adult rattlesnake, which was stretched out with its rear half on the trail. I was on it before I could do anything about it, and unleashed a mighty yell as I rolled over it, right in front of its rattle. I skidded to a halt a few yards up and turned towards De', who had heard my yell and started to stop...RIGHT ON TOP OF THE SNAKE!! I was horrified, and screamed, "De'...GO!!!!!", and she dug into the pedals...albeit in slow motion. She got away, and we both stood there panting, listening to the loudest rattlesnake rattle we've ever heard. That snake was PISSED!!!

Needless to say, our eyes were wide open after that...

We also encountered two wild horses on the bottom of Granite...they didn't move for me, but De' gave 'em a look, and they took off...

Anyways, a great and very pleasant morning out there...

waltaz - out
    Ride more; post less...

im4Gsus
    hmm...i just woke from a nice nap! great day out there guys!

chris - tuff gong - very nice meeting and riding with you. i'm glad you checked out the sport loop. like crazyirish says, next time incorporate the tech and long loops. oh, remember, the scottsdale group is going to be there next saturday. hope to see you then.

darrel - ram on - i'm glad you came despite being sick all week. i'm sure riding 18 miles knocked that darn congestion to kingdom come!

and it was nice seeing you walt and meeting the famous coyote kis! so you had an adult rattler encounter, eh? at the beginning of our ride we encountered a little one, maybe 3 feet. we made him move off the trail cuz i almost ran over it's head. he was not happy either!
    Attached Images Attached Images

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Nice to see you guys out there...lots of people out there...also ran into Jeff and Nancy as they were heading back...

We looped around Pemberton and headed up Tonto Tank. Towards the top of TT, I was riding along, with De' right behind me, when I rolled right up on an adult rattlesnake, which was stretched out with its rear half on the trail. I was on it before I could do anything about it, and unleashed a mighty yell as I rolled over it, right in front of its rattle. I skidded to a halt a few yards up and turned towards De', who had heard my yell and started to stop...RIGHT ON TOP OF THE SNAKE!! I was horrified, and screamed, "De'...GO!!!!!", and she dug into the pedals...albeit in slow motion. She got away, and we both stood there panting, listening to the loudest rattlesnake rattle we've ever heard. That snake was PISSED!!!

Needless to say, our eyes were wide open after that...

We also encountered two wild horses on the bottom of Granite...they didn't move for me, but De' gave 'em a look, and they took off...

Anyways, a great and very pleasant morning out there...

waltaz - out
    Sativa, RamOn, and TuffGong, fantastic meeting you guys! Hope to see all of you again soon!

Not as much fun to meet up with that rattler, however. Hope to NEVER see one of those again. It's a Monday, when you can look underneath the frame of your bike and count the rattles on a snake (5).

Yeah, Walt and I were moving up Tonto at a steady, head-lowered pace, when he let loose one of those goose-bump raising screams, but you know, Walt is famous for his cramp-induced screaming , so I didn't think much of it, until he pointed at my front tire and screamed my name. I looked at my front tire as it was rolling over the snake, and sure enough, instinct made me grab those brakes. I pretty much came to a complete stop and would probably have just fallen over in place if Walt hadn't jarred me out of my shock by screaming at me to GO. I cringed all cowboy-squinty-like and got those cranks turning in a hurry, but still braced for those fangs. Didn't see how I could possibly get away unscathed with being the "second rider", and all. But I did. What a rush! Better than any Hammer Gel I've ever had, for rejuvenating my energy for the rest of the ride.

As to the horses, lol, ummm, Walt, sorry, but let's tell it like it REALLY happened! You stopped far away from them, I never broke stride! "Gave them a look", my buttocks! :-) I rode around you, and I screamed "YAH! YAH!" while slapping my thigh and waving my arm at them until they bolted into action and sprang away. I turned to see you shaking your head and snickering at me. But fair is fair- you saved me from the snake, I saved you from the horses. We're even. he-he

Very awesome ride this morning. Lot of fun, lot of adventure.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Yeah, Walt and I were moving up Tonto at a steady, head-lowered pace, when he let loose one of those goose-bump raising screams, but you know, Walt is famous for his cramp-induced screaming , so I didn't think much of it, until he pointed at my front tire and screamed my name. I looked at my front tire as it was rolling over the snake, and sure enough, instinct made me grab those brakes. I pretty much came to a complete stop and would probably have just fallen over in place if Walt hadn't jarred me out of my shock by screaming at me to GO. I cringed all cowboy-squinty-like and got those cranks turning in a hurry, but still braced for those fangs. Didn't see how I could possibly get away unscathed with being the "second rider", and all. But I did. What a rush! Better than any Hammer Gel I've ever had, for rejuvenating my energy for the rest of the ride.

As to the horses, lol, ummm, Walt, sorry, but let's tell it like it REALLY happened! You stopped far away from them, I never broke stride! "Gave them a look", my buttocks! :-) I rode around you, and I screamed "YAH! YAH!" while slapping my thigh and waving my arm at them until they bolted into action and sprang away. I turned to see you shaking your head and snickering at me. But fair is fair- you saved me from the snake, I saved you from the horses. We're even. he-he
    A. I didn't scream I yelled.
    B. Re the horses, they were female, and looking at me funny...
    Ride more; post less...

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    A. I didn't scream I yelled.
    B. Re the horses, they were female, and looking at me funny...
    A. Read your own post. *pat pat*
    B. It disturbs me to know that you so readily identified that they weren't male. And maybe they were looking at you funny, because they couldn't distinguish the same quite as easily. Oh snap. *duck*
    Last edited by CoyoteKis; 09-08-2009 at 06:41 AM.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    A. Read your own post. *pat pat*
    B. It disturbs me to know that you so readily identified that they weren't male. And maybe they were looking at you funny, because they couldn't distinguish the same quite as easily. Oh snap. *duck*
    Those horses were kinda hot...
    Ride more; post less...

im4Gsus
    hahaha! you two (walt n kis) are cracking me up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey Sativa, when is the next ride? i'm off on Sun, Mon and Tue.

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman1243
    Hey Sativa, when is the next ride? i'm off on Sun, Mon and Tue.
    scott, i ride too early for you (RTR 6am), remember?

maybe tuesday morn? is michelle also riding?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    She might be able to if it's close, she is taking a class Tue and Thurs am. Where are you thinking about going?

im4Gsus
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeman1243
    She might be able to if it's close, she is taking a class Tue and Thurs am. Where are you thinking about going?
    hmm...how about santan? get there at 6am, RTR 6:15.
    pm me your email address and i can send you a map if you need it.

Members who have read this thread: 0