Thread: Mojo 3 anyone?

EDR

Mojo 3 anyone?

If so what do you think for phx area trails. Seems like a great bike and I see a pretty good deal right now. I'm pretty much done with Geronimo/Holbert but still ride everthing else including Natty. Lot's of Hawes and similar type trails. Not really sure I have a daily need for the HD4, plus price on the 3 is nice in comparison.

mtbr member
    I think it would be a solid choice if you like riding 27.5" wheels and playful trail riding. I demoed one for 2 days up in big bear. Great climber. I also like that it can run up to 2.8" tires. As a recent switcher from 2.3" to 2.5" tires, I think the WT plays well with our local trails.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Not the Mojo 3, but I owned an HD3. I imagine you could get a really good deal on one of those. I'm not a 27.5 guy, but that was an excellent bike and beautiful to boot.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member

Mojo 3 anyone?

I own a Mojo 3 and love it. I owned an HD then Original ripely and for over 2 years a Mojo 3 with 2.8 tires. It is the Goldilocks for me. It climbs amazing, and is so much fun in the turns. One negative for our rocky area is the low BB. But I have just learned not to pedal when there is a big rock and itís now a non issue. If you like running extra sag,or want small tires this will exacerbate. But I love the 2.8 for Arizona. No washouts in the sand, and with big low pressure tires you get small bump compliance and can leave your shock pressure at a good level to absorb the big stuff. It is so much fun in the turns I use it in McDowellís, PMP, all day AZT/BCT epics, Sedona, Flag, park city (not the jumps in the park). I donít get to so Mountain much but should be fine on natty, but certainly if thatís most of what you ride slightly more travel may suit you. Feel free to PM me. Love the bike happy to discuss.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I own a Mojo 3 and love it. I owned an HD then Original ripely and for over 2 years a Mojo 3 with 2.8 tires. It is the Goldilocks for me. It climbs amazing, and is so much fun in the turns. One negative for our rocky area is the low BB. But I have just learned not to pedal when there is a big rock and itís now a non issue. If you like running extra sag,or want small tires this will exacerbate. But I love the 2.8 for Arizona. No washouts in the sand, and with big low pressure tires you get small bump compliance and can leave your shock pressure at a good level to absorb the big stuff. It is so much fun in the turns I use it in McDowellís, PMP, all day AZT/BCT epics, Sedona, Flag, park city (not the jumps in the park). I donít get to so Mountain much but should be fine on natty, but certainly if thatís most of what you ride slightly more travel may suit you. Feel free to PM me. Love the bike happy to discuss.
    Ditto everything Bones said. Been on my Mojo 3 for nearly 2 years and love it! I've ridden it on all sorts of terrain, and it excels. My home turf is Albuquerque, and I'm more comfortable in the rough stuff on my M3 than I was on my previous long travel 29er. Ridden the M3 hard and in technical terrain in Moab, SoMo, Las Cruces, Albuquerque, and Texas.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

EDR
    Thanks for the replies.

I was able to parking lot demo a medium and large yesterday. Can't believe how easy it was to pick up and place the front end down wherever. This seems like one playful bike Even with huge ass 2.8 tires it felt nimble and quick.

Now, the one I'm looking at is a Jenson build with a Pike fork which I really like. The only odd thing is it's spec'd with different 30mm E-13 wheels rather than the 35mm Ibis hoops. I actually think that's preferable to me, I'm sure I can still run 2.6 no problem. Hoping the BB height issue is a non-issue. I think I'll be fine, my current 575 has similar BB height and when I got that I learned to adjust to pedal strikes.

Man, gotta say after riding it I'm kinda stoked. Haven't went to sleep with 'bike buying' dreams in a long time

Now for size, I'm 5'8'' with shoes and the medium cockpit pretty much felt like my small 575..just a tad cramped when pedaling on flats (90mm stem on my Yeti, 50mm on the demos). The large felt pretty good but just slightly truck like. Errrr! thought I was a slam dunk medium with Ibis but.....

Thoughts on sizing anyone? I'm still thinking medium...maybe with a 60mm stem (rather than stock 50), standing/climbing working the bike the med felt great.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4" and on a XL. I have short arms and like a little shorter reach than is typical.

M3 fits me perfectly. I would think medium for you.
    2016 Ibis Mojo 3 (for the chunk)
    2017 Trek Domane (for the road)
    2017 Nimble 9 SS (for the suffering)

mtbr member
    You got to go with what feels right for you. Iím 5í7Ē and ride a medium with a 60 or 70stem from a formal fitting (they would have recommended longer but I did not want it to change the handling). You are right in the middle of their recommended medium. But the top tube is short, thatís the way itís designed. Current trends are longer reach (even newer ibis). Who knows whatís correct.

EDR
    ^
    Yeah it's a bit confusing. I'm going to spend the money on a demo and take it to some real trails. I believe the only demo option is the large but that should tell me something. My head tells me that the large, although feeling comfortable while easily pedaling on the flats, is not the right size for overall actual trail riding. But maybe that's just my head telling me nobody my size should be fitted on a large frame, who knows. I mean if I am five foot seven and if I ride a large frame what do people who are 6'2'' or 6 foot 4 ride? XXL, that's not even an option. Just seems weird.

EDR
    Another thing I need to consider is the supplied dropper post. I'm not sure of the M3 seatpost length but I doubt that the supplied post can be inserted far enough on a large, so that I don't have to hunt for my riding position every time I raise it. Yeah I know I could change the post but that's another expense. Would rather get it right the first time.

mtbr member
    I think your original question was already answered, but the Mojo3 does great on AZ terrain. See my TR from last fall http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/tr-cr...z-1065362.html including a run down Holbert. For a "short travel" bike it is awesome, with a good fork that is properly set up making a huge difference. Have fun!

EDR
    ^^^

Thanks. I'm stoked. Seems like a super fun bike. Just need to finalize the order and make it happen. Would have already done so but can't decide if I'm going to upgrade the E13 TRS wheelset to carbon Revin wheels with DT hubs. I'm thinking not for phx trail riding, I'm not racing or looking for PR's, just having fun. Over-analyzing as usual. Need to just order and be done with it, arggh.

EDR
    It's a done deal!

A brand new Jenson build popped up on their website this morning that addressed most of my concerns. Seems like a crazy deal compared to most of today's bike specs and pricing. $400 more than the $3600 Spec B build gets me....

-Pike RCT3 150 (vs. 140RC)
    -Fox X2 (vs. DPS Evol)
    -GX 1x12 11-50 (vs. 1x11 11-46)
    -XO (vs. SLX)
    -Stan's Flow S1 30mm wheelset (vs. E13 TRS)... Not my choice of wheels but, whatever. I'll deal with it later.
    -Shimano brakes
    -Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5WT front, 2.5WT Agressor rear (vs. 2.6 Nobby Nics) (slight upcharge)
    - Oneup bashguard/chain guide (up-charge)

Also swapped out the saddle and stem.

Seriously stoked!

mtbr member
    ^^ sweet build and a smokin price! I've done some similar upgrades to my Mojo3 along the way, and love it. I put a DVO Topaz shock (I was not impressed with the DPS Evol), increased Pike travel to 150mm, and running DHF/Aggressor tires. Wish I had Eagle, but can't justify the cost to upgrade the whole drivetrain when the current one works fine. Have fun!

EDR
    Sid, how do you like it at 150 vs 140. Did you even notice any difference in handling or pedal strikes? Any negatives?

I'm actually surprised they're not spec'd that way with a factory build. Part of the reason might be it just isn't necessary and it helps keep a clear line of delineation between it and the HD
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 09-20-2018 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Sid, how do you like it at 150 vs 140. Did you even notice any difference in handling or pedal strikes? Any negatives?

I'm actually surprised they're not spec'd that way with a factory build. Part of the reason might be it just isn't necessary and it helps keep a clear line of delineation between it and the HD
    I only recently swapped out the air spring to go from 140 to 150, and only have a few rides on it, but overall it's a noticeable improvement. I made several changes at once, so it's hard to pin down what's due to 140 vs 150, having a newly serviced fork, the debonair upgrade air spring, or changing tires from 2.3/2.5 to 2.8.

It feels more plush and stable through chunky stuff. I've never had much of a problem with pedal strikes on the 140, so can't comment. Re: handling, it still corners great, but does feel a little less precise. I suspect that has more to do with the plus tires than the longer travel or slightly slacker HTA.

EDR
    ^^^
    Yeah that's a lot of change all at once to really pinpoint anything. I would suspect the 2.8 tires are contributing more than anything to the change in how the bike feels. Those are some big freaking tires, lol

EDR
    Well my new Mojo showed up the Tuesday before last!

Within one hour of unboxing the bike and trying to sort out seat height I pulled an inadvertent wheelie while clipped in and went down in a heap of ugliness and tore up my knee.

Very low grade 2 tear of my ACL and MCL. Won't be able to ride for weeks at least.

Unbelievable, the weather has been 20 degrees cooler than normal and all I can do is sit and stare at my bike.

Before anyone asks, yes there was beer involved that night... and short of a bent rear derailleur hanger, the bike is fine

Meatbomb
    Hold my beer and watch this.....