Moab visit, strange people sighting- Mtbr.com
    zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Moab visit, strange people sighting

Rolled into Moab last week and ran into some strange people ...

AMo1" width="549">

The riding was ridiculously good. But then again, that is what we expect from these sort of encounters. It's all about finding proper direction ...

Large ... Because it's worth looking at. The riding was way better than my pics:

AMo3" width="549">

AMo2

If only there were mountains to ride in Moab. We learned that you have to ride the Coyote Shuttle for such things, about a 30 minute drive. Total waste of time.

IMG_0731

I think if you click through these photos, you will find a few additional flickr photos for your viewing pleasure. Thanks goes out to TrailDoc and Janet for letting us tag along.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Tucson, AZ
    Ahhhh blue dot....What a great trail. Sweet pictures!

mtbr member
    Nice pics Zul! heading up there myself with a crew next month. Thanks to Traildoc we will be riding with some locals for the fun stuff. Hats off to TD.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Nice pics Zul! heading up there myself with a crew next month. Thanks to Traildoc we will be riding with some locals for the fun stuff. Hats off to TD.
    Looks like he has a new steed. Firebird perhaps?

mtbr member
    Ya I noticed that, must be nice to be rich and be able to afford a FB .
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by helimech
    Ya I noticed that, must be nice to be rich and be able to afford a FB .
    Ha, I believe he makes his wife work full time while he galavants around tourguiding, ambasadorizing, and touching/refining trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    Ha, I believe he makes his wife work full time while he galavants around tourguiding, ambasadorizing, and touching/refining trails.
    What a life . Hopefully someday i'll grow up and be just like him .
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Great pics Zul.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice stuff Zul and TD, by the way, sweet Firebird, been lusting after that frame for a while................Heli and I will ge in Moab in a few weeks!

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Moab ... Just a bunch of double track and sand

Will you guys be doing the photo thing? I struggle ... drag the camera or just freakin ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yes, hope to post up more pics here. We are shooting for Oct. 10-15th or 17th How did you like the Firebird?

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    The Firebird is a sweet looking ride. I only tooled around a bit on it. Mostly watched traildoc climb with ease on that thing. It has a really blingy gold link amidst the build, if'n your into that sorta thing.

Ahh, if I could only play hookie one more time this year ... Looking forward to your pics.

zul

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by zul
    Rolled into Moab last week and ran into some strange people ...

AMo1" width="549">

The riding was ridiculously good. But then again, that is what we expect from these sort of encounters. It's all about finding proper direction ...

Large ... Because it's worth looking at. The riding was way better than my pics:

AMo3" width="549">

AMo2

If only there were mountains to ride in Moab. We learned that you have to ride the Coyote Shuttle for such things, about a 30 minute drive. Total waste of time.

IMG_0731

I think if you click through these photos, you will find a few additional flickr photos for your viewing pleasure. Thanks goes out to TrailDoc and Janet for letting us tag along.
    nice view you have there wish I could join the club.

banned
    Sep 2005
    I've been wondering where he's been hiding out. I thought he was staying local this year. Good to see he's still doing what he does best.

(hats off)

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Video attempt

Let's see if this 'embeds' or not: If so, it's a great little vid of my riding buddy Paul rolling down some nice chunk off of Rock Stacker or Jackson's Hole (Amasa Back):

http://27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000">

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danafamily/3947523053/

mtbr member
    Nice, ah yes the Jackson trail. Lookin fwd to it.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Nice vid. Funny, I don't remember that descent being that tricky 17 yrs ago. It's good to know it's still there and Traildoc is still the man.

edit to add: gratuitous tilt of analog film style camera for dramatic effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice vid. Funny, I don't remember that descent being that tricky 17 yrs ago. It's good to know it's still there and Traildoc is still the man.

Dam that looks hairy at that angle .
    SHITBIRD

banned

Rocky and Zul:

Thanks for the kind words. The time spent in Moab on this last trip was very special for many reasons. Fortunately, one of the new rides (Double Down) we did this time turned from being a potential disaster to a total adventure epic.

Being old and suffering from periods of good judgment I was totally out of my comfort zone watching the lightening storm bearing down on us and the rain turning to snow while driving up to the drop off point to do the new extra credit ride.

As we unloaded the bikes I had the feeling I was making a HUGE mistake, but since I was riding with twelve of the best Moab local riders and two of Sedona's finest no one else in the group seemed the least bit worried.

As the shuttle driver got back into their vehicle to leave I told the driver to tell my wife I loved her, since I figured there was a good possibility I might never see her again.

After climbing another 300' elevation in totally snowy and slushy conditions for about 3 miles the weather began to improve. As we began our descent conditions were very slippery due to the three inches of slushy water running down the trail. I couldn't help thinking about how many people in the whole world might enjoy riding down that slippery ass trail in those very challenging conditions.

As it turned out it stopped snowing and the sun came out which created almost perfect riding conditions. Apparently in dry periods the trail we were riding becomes a real slide fest and according to the locals conditions had not been this good since the trail was first ridden.

At the end of the ride one of the famous locals pulled out a hand gun and shot it in the air several times to emphasize that the routing of Double Down is TOP SECRET and not to be shared with others. I can only say that when the routing is finally divulged to the hardcore riding public Moab's popularity will increase dramatically.

It's too bad that everyone doesn't have the opprotunity to do something that others would consider TOTALLY STUPID, but turns out to be very special and will never be forgotten.

mtbr member

My Thoughts Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    Rocky and Zul:

It's too bad that everyone doesn't have the opportunity to do something that others would consider TOTALLY STUPID, but turns out to be very special and will never be forgotten.
    Nuff Said.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Members who have read this thread: 0