Moab Portal compared to SoMo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Moab Portal compared to SoMo?

I heading up a trip to Moab at the end of Oct and am considering riding the new Mag 7 epic that ends with coming down Portal at the top of Poison Spider. I have a some guys in our group that haven't been to Moab and I myself have never ridden Portal.

I am trying to judge how tech Portal is. I dont want to drag a bunch of guys 25+ miles only to finish with a HAB down Portal. If its really chunk I'd rather bail down Poison Spider to where our vehicles are.

So my question and reason I'm posting here is: Is Portal compared to National or more like Holbert? My group can ride National, Most of us are on 5 and 6 inch bikes. But a few are on more XC. Holbert would be no bueno.

parenting for gnarness
    m'eh. i rode Portal like 7 yrs ago on an xc bike. I was not as good a tech rider then. If you are not overmatched by Porcupine Rim you'll manage fine. Some spots you will walk. Its worth it for the adventure.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks Cholla I forgot to ask how it compared to the single track on lower porc.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Thanks Cholla I forgot to ask how it compared to the single track on lower porc.
    iirc, its more Moab - just steeper and chunkier. The top is super-exposed but not particularly hard, that last mile statistically compares to 24th street. So, the XC bike managed on all but a few spots. I had never ridden the DH stuff on Somo back then, I imagine now I could get most of it. Like i said, I distinctly remember it being harder than most things I'd done at the time, but not enough that I didn't have a lot of fun.

EDR
    I remember the lower portion of Portal as being quite chunky. I was pretty beat by then so maybe my memories are over-blown with chunky-ness. I don't remember any chunk to speak of on the first half or so, just huge exposure and a pretty good time.

It's been 3 or 4 years since I rode it but if I had to compare it to something I guess I'd say it's kinda like Natty up top only on narrow trails and 1000 ft in the air...on the side of a mountain...with a lot less need for speed. I'd say the lower portion of it would be much more like goat camp or Holbert than Natty. Can't say it reminds me of Porc Rim at all. Porc is much faster, much much much wider with lots of opportunity for ledgy drops, go-arounds, rock gardens at speed, etc etc etc.

Not the best trail but worth the adventure at least once.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 09-30-2011 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Has anyone rideen the Mag 7 epic yet? Is it worth it to ride all the way to Portal?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Has anyone rideen the Mag 7 epic yet? Is it worth it to ride all the way to Portal?
    i'm going to fire blind and say hellzyeah, an all-day ride on that side of town ending in Portal will be worth it.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    i'm going to fire blind and say hellzyeah, an all-day ride on that side of town ending in Portal will be worth it.
    Double Ditto

The section from the TOP of Gold Bar Rim over to the Portal is very cool and has been ridden for over 12 years. Now it seems like there is some kind of animal near the rim that is scared of mountain bikers so bikers may have to stay on the Golden Spike jeep trail where the thing lives in harmony with jeepers.

I wish there was some evidence to prove this situation, but I personally doubt there is any, maybe others know differently.

TD