MOAB Easter Weekend?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,089

    MOAB Easter Weekend?

    I'm lucky enough to be up in Moab for work during Easter Jeep Safari and may have the opportunity to rent a bike and go for a ride the Thursday and/or Friday before Easter when my services aren't needed.

    What's the riding gonna be like up there that time of year? Never ridden but know it's epic. Will the top of the Enchilada be snowed in still?

    Thanks for any beta!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,852
    Burro down will be a no go but they might be shuttling from Hazard down by Easter. Sorta depends on how much more snow the LaSals get.

    Otherwise, the riding will be fantastic. They've been adding trails like crazy up there and your biggest dilemma will be figuring out which ones to ride in your two days. My vote would be Ahab/Amasa/Hymasa on one day and do a shuttle and ride Mag7 back to town on the other. Have fun!

  3. #3
    Team Tortuga
    Reputation: crAZy Irish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    247
    Easter weekend is Jeep fest I believe, It might be quite full in town
    I ride uphill for the view.....that and the return back down!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    210
    Both of Rockman's suggestions are spot on.

    If I had one day only to ride, the whole enchilada would not be my first choice.

    It's fun and all, but too much fire road/ double track and mobs of amateur hour shit show riders for my tastes.

    It is fun and should be done at least once for sure, I am just not sure I would pick that ride if I only had one day to get my shred on.

    Mag 7 is wonderful. A good mix of tech and fast and flow etc, really a ton of fun

    Descending Ahab is so good, it is hard to put into words. It is an absolute marvel of trail design and construction. Now that they have added Hymasa trail to climb, it makes for one kick ass ride.

    It really is hard to keep up with all the new trails up there, the BLM and local trail advocacy groups are doing it right, for sure.

  5. #5
    Keep on Rockin...
    Reputation: Miker J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,797
    Tuned in.

    Heading to Moab first time late April.

  6. #6
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,374
    I've been there over Easter weekend and it is PACKED with jeeps! They had Amasa back closed off with a solid line of crawlers making their way down so I wouldn't count on riding Ahab as you have to use the road for parts of that ride. Mag 7 should be fine, Porc will be weather dependent...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reamer41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    822

    MOAB Easter Weekend?

    Ahab is great, but I actually like climbing the old jeep road rather than Hymasa.

    The whole enchilada is definitely worth doing.

    Agreed that it is hard to keep up with all the new stuff! Have fun in Moab.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    --Reamer

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Casual Observer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,211
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I'm lucky enough to be up in Moab for work during Easter Jeep Safari and may have the opportunity to rent a bike and go for a ride the Thursday and/or Friday before Easter when my services aren't needed.

    What's the riding gonna be like up there that time of year? Never ridden but know it's epic. Will the top of the Enchilada be snowed in still?

    Thanks for any beta!
    Call Chili Pepper bikes for beta, and Coyote for a shuttle. I typically go in May, and it's been hit or miss re: snow.

    For rentals, I've only rented once, but got a good deal on a super fun Bronson at Moab Cyclery.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

  9. #9
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    943
    Am I the only one that was disappointed in capt ahab? Lots of hype, never really took off IMHO.

  10. #10
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,089
    Thanks guys. Is there a sweet-ass map like Dale's for the Moab area? Checking out Trailforks right now but having something to look at while out of reception range is always nice.

  11. #11
    The .05 percent
    Reputation: sinatorj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    943
    Trail forks available w/o data connection and will actually have the correct names on the trails.

  12. #12
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,089
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Trail forks available w/o data connection and will actually have the correct names on the trails.
    Interesting. Never noticed. I'm downloading the Moab region now...

  13. #13
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,089
    Reports a week ago say a week and a couple warm days and HyMasa and Ahab will be good to go. Should be perfect when I'm there, minus all the Jeeps. But, those Jeeps are why I'll be there getting paid for a week

    I see a parking spot up closer to Cliffhanger and the top of HyMasa so a little bit of gravel road (I assume) gets me to the TH.

  14. #14
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,282
    Mag 7 Portal and poison spider since I know you like the chunk plus no snow. I used to go Easter weekend for a few years in a row. It's busy on the trails but not crazy and most of the jeepers are stoked on the riders out there.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  15. #15
    Pivotal figure
    Reputation: kenbentit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,374
    There's a small pullout on the left side just after the Amasa trailhead, you might be able to park there but it only has space for a few vehicles. There's a big lot lower down the road, it's an easy ride up to the start.
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Reports a week ago say a week and a couple warm days and HyMasa and Ahab will be good to go. Should be perfect when I'm there, minus all the Jeeps. But, those Jeeps are why I'll be there getting paid for a week

    I see a parking spot up closer to Cliffhanger and the top of HyMasa so a little bit of gravel road (I assume) gets me to the TH.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

  16. #16
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj View Post
    Am I the only one that was disappointed in capt ahab? Lots of hype, never really took off IMHO.
    I believe so . Your the first person I have heard that didn't like it or was disappointed. Its always the icing on the cake when I do my big ride out there when I visit.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,945
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I believe so . Your the first person I have heard that didn't like it or was disappointed. Its always the icing on the cake when I do my big ride out there when I visit.
    I guess it depends what you were expecting. Every vid I saw of it showed very little climbing. But when you start out at the upper end for the "descent" it is anything but downhill. That is pretty much the comment I heard from anyone not hyping it to death - "its a lot of work". I was also told a lot of regulars prefer to descend upper Hymasa to lower AHAB.

    I finally got to ride it in October on the way home from Durango. I didn't like it at the time but this was more to do with me than the trail. Bike was acting up and this was day 9 so I was beat and not having a good day. I normally love the tech climbing so I will definitely ride it again, hopefully fresh this time.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,852
    Ahab may have been over-hyped but perhaps the expectations were too great. Moab is smack in the middle of the most expansive bit of rock and canyonlands in the southwest. That begs the question of where to put trails and especially those with any semblance of an extended downhill. Trails began in Moab with bulldozer tracks in the search for uranium. Others were avenues for cattle to get on and off the mesas like Portal and Porcupine. The only way this is possible is because of the serendipity of the salt beneath the region that has warped the area into folds. But even though unique in that you could drop off a high mesa down to the river for the most part the trails lack flow.

    That's what makes Ahab one of the most creative trails I've ridden. It's not hewn out of dirt but fashioned out of rock. The builder took what the landscape provided and artfully weaved and routed the trail into various natural features all the while descending and maintain a rather easy and pedally route. It's integrated with the environment instead of imposed upon it (for example, a flow trail on a ski resort slope). It's not overly technical and is far from a DH trail yet still quite exciting and outrageously fun. I'm biased of course, having seen what the creative trailbuilders have accomplished in Sedona. Trails that became instant classics without much modification by the land manager because they are so good. Ahab is that good. Much more impressive than any IMBA sanctioned flow trail with berms to help you turn and trannys to help you land.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,553
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Ahab may have been over-hyped but perhaps the expectations were too great. Moab is smack in the middle of the most expansive bit of rock and canyonlands in the southwest. That begs the question of where to put trails and especially those with any semblance of an extended downhill. Trails began in Moab with bulldozer tracks in the search for uranium. Others were avenues for cattle to get on and off the mesas like Portal and Porcupine. The only way this is possible is because of the serendipity of the salt beneath the region that has warped the area into folds. But even though unique in that you could drop off a high mesa down to the river for the most part the trails lack flow.

    That's what makes Ahab one of the most creative trails I've ridden. It's not hewn out of dirt but fashioned out of rock. The builder took what the landscape provided and artfully weaved and routed the trail into various natural features all the while descending and maintain a rather easy and pedally route. It's integrated with the environment instead of imposed upon it (for example, a flow trail on a ski resort slope). It's not overly technical and is far from a DH trail yet still quite exciting and outrageously fun. I'm biased of course, having seen what the creative trailbuilders have accomplished in Sedona. Trails that became instant classics without much modification by the land manager because they are so good. Ahab is that good. Much more impressive than any IMBA sanctioned flow trail with berms to help you turn and trannys to help you land.
    Who cares? TL;DR. Utah is full of racists.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,852
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Who cares? TL;DR. Utah is full of racists.
    Once in awhile you are marginally funny but mostly you are a pathetic troll.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,553
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Once in awhile you are marginally funny but mostly you are a pathetic troll.
    Upon re-scroll, my eyes notice the word Sedona in there, I knew I was correct!
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

  22. #22
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I guess it depends what you were expecting. Every vid I saw of it showed very little climbing. But when you start out at the upper end for the "descent" it is anything but downhill. That is pretty much the comment I heard from anyone not hyping it to death - "its a lot of work". I was also told a lot of regulars prefer to descend upper Hymasa to lower AHAB.

    I finally got to ride it in October on the way home from Durango. I didn't like it at the time but this was more to do with me than the trail. Bike was acting up and this was day 9 so I was beat and not having a good day. I normally love the tech climbing so I will definitely ride it again, hopefully fresh this time.
    I see where you are coming from . I also seen videos which portrayed it as main dh . But thats clearly not the case and I am glad . Here is my last video of it . I was a bit wore out from the 18miles prior and didn't have my big boy pants on for some the cool options.

    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

  23. #23
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,282
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I was also told a lot of regulars prefer to descend upper Hymasa to lower AHAB.
    This sounds like my next route up there with a straight amasa pedal up.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,852
    Ahab is little more than a 200' elevation gain from the start at the jeep road. Then, a relatively flat contouring trail with another short climb followed by sustained downhill. You basically have to climb to the top of the hill to come down the hill. Go figure.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11,954
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog View Post
    Mag 7 Portal and poison spider since I know you like the chunk plus no snow. I used to go Easter weekend for a few years in a row. It's busy on the trails but not crazy and most of the jeepers are stoked on the riders out there.
    This. Mag 7 to Portal is probably my favorite trail in Moab and having ridden with you I know you'll like the chunky tech involved. Hymasa/Ahab with a second lap doing Rockstacker to Jackson's as the descent would be my day 2 ride.

    If you're avoiding the trails the jeeps use you won't have any problems with the jeeps. It'll be crazy in town, but that's actually kind of fun seeing all the modified rock-crawlers etc.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  26. #26
    PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Reputation: azdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    4,282
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork View Post
    I was a bit wore out from the 18miles prior and didn't have my big boy pants on for some the cool options.
    Those cool options were a lot bigger in person!
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

  27. #27
    dirt visionary
    Reputation: clockwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    6,481
    lol na just didn't have the energy needed to safely do them . I hit them the year prior but I also did it on a day where I went out and did ahab only as I couldn't leave that year without hitting them . My favorite is the step down on the left pass the midpoint .
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Similar Threads

  1. Coming to KC Easter Weekend
    By tenaciousd in forum Great Plains - OK, KS, NE, SD, ND
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2015, 08:09 PM
  2. Is Puslinch Rideable (Easter weekend)
    By noonievut in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2014, 05:28 AM
  3. Moab during Easter Jeep Safari week, are we screwed?
    By A girl from Seattle in forum Utah
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-24-2013, 09:16 PM
  4. Easter weekend riding
    By robncircus in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-28-2011, 08:22 PM
  5. Easter Weekend beachride
    By coastkid71 in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 09:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.